Bilbo to RB? Ball starting QB?

Originally posted by CuzzBuzz:
I think it's a great move. Think of the preparation defensive coordinators will have to make for a run/throw threat like Ball, who obviously has shown more consistency than Bilbo. CG is putting his best 11 on the field - i.e. both Ball and Bilbo are two of his best 11 offensive players, and he's trying to find a way to put them both on the field and help an offense that has lost some serious weapons (at RB). By midseason, Ball will be a veteran and the team will be better for it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Welcome to the board Cuzz. Lead story for WAGA sports. Said Bilbo was visibly upset and wondered how long until Dbo asks for a transfer. Hopefully he'll realize he can excel at another position, he just won't take the snap.

Help me out here.. Did Phillip Rivers start as a freshman??

Yes, Phillip Rivers started as a true freshman...but he started school in January and had the benefit of spring practice also.

I'm going the optimist route here and thinking that this move was made more because Reggie is standing out (or at the least, his recent performances helped push this along). DBo has a cannon for an arm but if he can't cut it for whatever reason, I'm glad to hear he might be on the field at some other position.

From what I've heard, Reggie Ball is like the 2nd coming of Joe Hamilton - in his build and his game. He must be really impressing the coaches. Let's hope anyway, because if this opens the door for Suggs again, God help us...
pat.gif

There is no doubt, I am dumbfounded. It is rare that a freshman can come in and take over the top spot from two seniors and a highly rated quarterback such as Bilbo.

Since the decision has been made, it says the coaching staff has a lot of confidence in the newcomers of Ball and Carter.

By the way, I do not see Camp mentioned at the quarterback position. Has he been moved to another position? Anyone know?

This board will light up tomorrow with that change.

Father Time

Excited about Reggie, but concerned that the likes of Beau Bock knew this weeks ago...hmmm?

If it makes sense and Reggie moves the team, the team will obviously support him. If it's a bonehead move and the team knows it, we will know very soon. THWG

Thought so, and I suppose that makes some difference....But I'll take game experience anyday. We have 1 thing going for us...BYU's QB situation is worse than ours.
I was a Chan-basher last year, especially after the last 2 games. I have begun an about-face. I think there were things going on that were out of his control.
Recruiting right now is light years ahead of where we have been at this point...in many years.
Chan seems to be making gutsie decisions, but they seem to be calculated risks. I'm not on his band-wagon yet...Lets see how the team responds come season start, but I have faith.

You guys dont get it. Yes Bilbo is moving to RB. But the rest of the team didnt know it. They asked the coaches after hearing about it from others and the coaches wouldnt address it or admit it! I love the decision but how it has been handled is absolutely pathetic. Gailey has no clue what is going on or how to handle this situation. Bill Lewis didnt and Gailey doesnt. If Bilbo doesnt cut it at QB and the others are better, great, make a change. But in your right mind, wouldnt you have a meeting with the players discussing the issue on what you were doing? The players went to practice today and didnt have a clue what was going on. That's a fact. I love that a guy like Reggie Ball may be a great player at Tech. But Team Chemistry, honesty and openness are important. Being Blunt in football is important. That is not how this has been handled and I feel sorry for the players. Ok, so they get over it a few days from now, that doesnt minimize the disrespect the players now have for Gailey and his staff. It happened in 93-94 and unfortunately it is happening again. And that is a fact and you can quote me and interview the players if you want to substantiate these events. You guys have no idea what is going on but it is ugly, trust me. Trust is very important to these kids and it was severely broken today. I said in a previous post if Bilbo was not cutting it put the freshman in. Well, it seems that may be what is happenng, but there is a way to do it and a way not to do it. Gailey has done it the wrong way and unfortunately the players deserve better. I believe that they have made the decision for the right reasons but the players' respect for Gailey has been thrwon out the window by deceit and white lies.

Gnome...You gotta be kidding.. You mean your going to start that: Blaming Chan....You dont have a team meeting to discuss a position change...Come On....

I believe anything now.....

Mentioning "Bill Lewis" does scare the crap out of me, regardless of previous posts!

Gnome,

You're making alot of assumptions on what is going
on in the locker room. Your post is so ludicrous
that I can't believe I am even responding.

You certainly paint a different picture than that
painted by guys who are actually at practice.

Apparently everyone was fired up and working hard
today. There was even a fight or two.

It certainly didn't sound like the team was moping
around to me.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Gnome...You gotta be kidding.. You mean your going to start that: Blaming Chan....You dont have a team meeting to discuss a position change...Come On....

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Balck Watch, trust me. I know what happened today. And although I truly believe that if the coaches think he cant cut it at QB, and he will never make it there, great, move him to RB. Seems like a natural position for him to me with his size...That is not the point. This was done, the plauers heard it second hand, asked the coaches about what they had heard, and the coaches acted like they didnt know what they were talking about. Bilbo is taking it hard. Doesnt show up for the pre-practice meeting, the players ask where he is, and they give an excuse that has nothing to do with them telling him he is now all the sudden a RB. That is not honest. It's deceit. It's pathetic. And the players have no respect. I hope Ball is the next Joe Hamilton, but it is not going to be with Gailey as Head coach. And you can quote me on that to the bank. My words are part opinion and part fact in this post. Trust me.

Gnome,

Respectfully...step off.

The coach's obviously discussed this with DBo.

That is where their responsibility lies.

If they were asking the assistants and position
coaches about it, I would fully expect them to
defer to Gailey or Nix.

Nice spin. Once you throw in a few good bashes
of Braine in this thread, you'll have the trifecta.

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Balck Watch, trust me. I know what happened today. And although I truly believe that if the coaches think he cant cut it at QB, and he will never make it there, great, move him to RB. Seems like a natural position for him to me with his size...That is not the point. This was done, the plauers heard it second hand, asked the coaches about what they had heard, and the coaches acted like they didnt know what they were talking about. Bilbo is taking it hard. Doesnt show up for the pre-practice meeting, the players ask where he is, and they give an excuse that has nothing to do with them telling him he is now all the sudden a RB. That is not honest. It's deceit. It's pathetic. And the players have no respect. I hope Ball is the next Joe Hamilton, but it is not going to be with Gailey as Head coach. And you can quote me on that to the bank. My words are part opinion and part fact in this post. Trust me.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Gnome, just where were you when all this was going on. The way you post I assume you are at practice every day, are in the academic support office and in the locker room as well. If the coach said something to Bilbo and he took off his rib pads and lined up at RB as was reported, just when were they supposed to tell the team? Stop practice,call everybody over and make an announcment? And just because Beau Bock says he knew something doesn't mean a damn thing. And if the change was made on the field, how could the players hear about it second hand? Were they not all there? This doesn't even make sense.

Crackerjacket.. My point about Gnome and the few others is: (These few Constant Chan Bashers)That nothing they say now has ANY credibility..Ive heard it all now.. He is so off base...Of course they stop at nothing..The next thing we will hear this year when we win a big game is: Oh its Olearys boys that won..

Matter of FACT...Yeah thats FACT..Something you have trouble with...Every report tonight on Tv and from what i saw..Is that Chan handled this with CLASS..Mentioning that he wanted what was best for Dbo.....

Believe me. Trust me. I know. B*** L****. Yada yada.
rolleyes.gif

The urinal constipation reports that Gailey informed DBo of the decision before practice. I'm sure Chan handled it professionally and with a measure of care for Damarius's feelings. Coach Gailey has stated all along that the QB position was up for grabs. Bilbo had no lock on the position at all. Rather than sitting him they're trying to find DBo a place on the field right away, to get him as many reps as possible. We've only got 3 weeks. The move is perfectly normal and sound. Let's all hope Damarius shakes it off and stays on board.

Originally posted by BLACK WATCH:
Matter of FACT...Yeah thats FACT..Something you have trouble with...Every report tonight on Tv and from what i saw..Is that Chan handled this with CLASS..Mentioning that he wanted what was best for Dbo.....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">First, where were the reporters today when the decision was made? They might have have had a different spin. 2, I am not a Chan basher. Go look at my posts, all of them and you will see what I think. 3, I think it is a great decision, unfortunately, it was done the ABSOLUTE WRONG WAY FROM WHAT YOU AND I WOULD EXPECT FROM OUR HEAD COACH. 4, I have talked to the players since practice. Have any of you? You may have I dont know, but I am not lying when I say I have talked to some of them about the situation. 5, the players dont know where they stand. Everyone down to the ankle taping guy knew where he stood under O'Leary. Does that mean Gailey is a bad coach? No. My opinion though is everyone needs to know where they stand, and the players dont know down there. "I'll back Chan and Dave till the end!"-that is just not me as far as blind faith.

Originally posted by gnats:
Believe me. Trust me. I know. B*** L****. Yada yada.
rolleyes.gif

The urinal constipation reports that Gailey informed DBo of the decision before practice. I'm sure Chan handled it professionally and with a measure of care for Damarius's feelings. Coach Gailey has stated all along that the QB position was up for grabs. Bilbo had no lock on the position at all. Rather than sitting him they're trying to find DBo a place on the field right away, to get him as many reps as possible. We've only got 3 weeks. The move is perfectly normal and sound. Let's all hope Damarius shakes it off and stays on board.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are wrong as far as how it was handled.

Gnome, if you are talking to the players and feeding off of them and they, in turn, are feeding off your negativity about Chan, you could be causing dissention among the troops.

Father Time

Back