Bilbo versus Suggs

law_bee

Dodd-Like
I tell you it would not be a bad thing having Bilbo start and using Suggs if he struggles.

Bilbo is a young qb and we need WINS. I do not think Suggs alone can get the job done but he has performed well in spots (nc state). Auburn last year started w/ one QB and then ended up w/ another.

It would be foolish to burn this season by depending on just one qb. Suggs can help this team and if we are going to have a successful season he will be a factor. It was not until the second half of the year that lil Joe starting lighting it up his soph year.

Like I stated earlier I believe Bilbo will start and there will be a quick hook if he struggles. I think Bilbo can get it done if we are patient.

I still have a sneaky feeling that Gailey will go with the "veteran" Suggs in the opener.
frown.gif

BOO

Makes you kinda wonder if Suggs was being pulled in two different directions by CCG and BOB. Like having two voices in your head at the same time....oh wait thats me
drinking.gif

I would be SHOCKED if Suggs was the starter if Bilbo was healthy. I think there was MUCH pressure to play Bilbo last year and second guessing by everyone.

The look on Coach Gailey's face when Suggs threw his 'last' pass vs Fresno said it all to me. That look was pure anguish & reminded me of a look of 'that's the last time u break my heart, that's it, the end'.
Gailey had stuck with Suggs the entire season. Suggs had moved the team between the 20's, but failed so many times with the game winnable at the end. Gailey 'gave' the whole season to his starter. But when AJ threw that Fresno pass straight to the DB instead of throwing it away, the whole regime changed. Gailey's look said to me 'that's the last pass u'll throw as a starter for me'. It totally changed right there.
Suggs may get mop up duty, but I think Bilbo will be given the entire season, barring injury, to start, just as AJ was given it last yr.
I just don't see Suggs being given the starting opportunity again, unless there is an injury crisis @ QB. I also believe Pena, Ball or Carter will be given an opportunity before AJ gets one. The staff was desperate to bring in another QB for Spring, to try & get a b/u ready to move ahead of AJ. Suggs & Camp are gone after '03 & I think Gailey's going with Bilbo, Pena, Ball & Carter.

I would want one of the freshmen to start if DBo isn't up to the task. I remember Jones and little Joe's struggles(sp?) but then ended up with a bunch of big wins. I have heard here that AJ is one heck of a nice guy and we did win 7 with him at QB but Tenn benched him for a reason so let the chips fall where they may and if needed start a true freshman.

I am with you Ace..

Bilbo will be the started @ BYU. If he struggles, then AJ will get some time, but Chan gave AJ his time last year and he didn't(and by the way he played in Sping game) take advantage of it.

One other thing about Bilbo is you cannot help but notice how he was congratulating the other offense when he is not the qb.

He is ALWAYS supporting the team. That type of attitude will carry a young player far.

I've noticed that too Law_Bee, he was that way last year also. Even when he was on the bench.

During the Spring game, AJ had a slight edge on Bilbo. However, Bilbo is improving, and he is a fighter who wears the emblem "GT" with pride. AJ, IMO, is a competitor who would rather have a big orange "T" on his helmet in his best case scenario. But (I can't help feeling this) he will settle for GT on his helmet.

My vote is for debo with AJ being a reliever.

One thing that nobody has said is that Bilbo's ankle was still bothering him. You could see him grab it and visibly limp at times. I think that limitied his ability to run down field. I thought both QB's looked better than last year. Pena is not ready in my opinion. I would look for him to be red shirted. Looks like he has the physical tools but he was obviously way behind Suggs and Bilbo. The same could be said for Camp. I think you have 1 Bilbo, 2 Suggs 3. Camp set for the season already even though Gailey said he has not picked. The throws BBo made across his body on the late drive in the 1st half are just to hard to ignore. They were ropes.

Long way till Provo. While I wasn't able to make it yesterday and missed three practices this spring. I've seen a lot of improvement. Again, has nothing to do with what I saw yesterday because I didn't see anything.
wink.gif

As much improvement been made with intalling a brand new offensive system this spring (Has a ways to go) there will be more improvement over off season and two a days in fall compared to this spring if things go well in classroom, off the field, and with injury.

Things will look a lot different come time for Provo than they did yesterday. It's a short amount of time so to speak, but a lot will and does happen.

GO JACKETS!

It appears the main difference between Biblo and Suggs is the quickness of Bilbo. If both are pressured, Bilbo is much quicker and more able to make a good play out of a bad one.

If one of the freshmen quarterbacks happens to be very impressive in the Fall, he could jump into the rotation of the first three.

It is always smart to plan ahead for the next year. Since Suggs nor Camp will return, it seems appropriate to have the best freshman candidate available for some mop-up duty this year.

Since Suggs and Camp have most of the experience, I assume one of them would probably step into the starting role if Bilbo should get hurt.

By the way, Bilbo took a couple of shots on his legs and ankles during the game. One was a play where he was running out of bounds and took a shot. The other was a drop back pass where the rusher hit him as he let go of the pass. Both times he came limping back to the huddle with a slight limp.

It did not seem to greatly restrict his mobility, but I am sure he was hurting.

wink.gif

I wonder what it is that you've seen from Bilbo's QB play that makes everyone think here's going to be the man. Look, I would love to have Bilbo finally "get it" and take this team on his back, and we all know Suggs can't be a premiere college QB. But, from eerything I've seen and hear on DBo, he hasn't gotten it and he may never get it.

DBo is big, mobile, and has a cannon of an arm. But there are tons of pepple who have that. To be a good QB you have to have that extra insight. Not only know where to go with the ball, when to not throw into coverage, but also be accurate with the passes. I've seen flashes of brilliance from Bilbo. his 1st TD against Fresno State, his TD pass this Saturday in the scrimmage. But then I've also seen just dismal performances, like 4 INT's in 1 half, a very bad INT and fumble in the scrimmage.

AJ has had some good games (NC State/Virginia), and he can be a serviceable QB, but, unless bilbo starts to get it, I just don't know if he can ever do it.

Most people's arguments here are "let him play and learn." Well, here's what's wrong with that argument.
1, We're going to lose games because of Bilbo.
2, He may never get it, and us playing him has only made the program worse
3, he gets experience in practice and in scrimmages, and if the coaches don't think he has it, then why should they play him?

I'm like you; I hope Bilbo gets it, but right now, I just don't see it, and if you guys are going to sacrafice Gailey because of it, thats just wrong (Gailey inherited Suggs and Bilbo, and he has to play one of em or the incoming freshmen).

Beernuts, this is the reason I would pick Bilbo over Suggs or Camp at this point.

Since he did not get a lot of playing time last year, I am sure his confidence was hurt somewhat.

He is really starting fresh as the first string quarterback, so it is expected that he will have some problems getting adjusted to that situation. I could see some improvement in his game this past Saturday.

He has the fall to improve more and gain more confidence. Confidence is always gained as you play more and see yourself doing some good things.

Saturday, to me, his game and his poise looked better than the other quarterbacks. He did not let the first interception get him down. Based on Saturday's performance, he looked the best of the three.

Pena, a freshman did not look better than Bilbo, nor did he look impressive enough to take the starting position away from the other three.

It appears you are convinced that Ball or Carter are heads above Bilbo and should be handed over the first string job as soon as their feet hit Grant Field!

Phenom freshmen seldom are as effective in the step up to college as they were in high school. When Bilbo was recruited, we had two other highly ranked QBs recruited with him. He was the best looking of the three, so the others were moved to other positions.

One of the players moved to another position was Dawan Landry. I watched him Saturday and made the comment, "he was the best looking athlete on the field. Bilbo was highly rated, maybe moreso than Ball or Carter. To move Landry to defense meant Bilbo was the most impressive of three highly rated quarterbacks.

It is possible Pena may improve drastically in the fall, and Ball or Carter may prove to good to play second string, but the odds are huge against that happening.

The odds are Pena, Ball, and Carter will have trouble picking up the rush, the speed of the college players on defense, and the sheer awe of the college game.

Those are my reasonings. Of course, anything can happen, but Bilbo appears to be the best we have at this time, and it is doubtful one of the freshmen could beat him out in a couple of weeks of Fall practice.

Beernuts, one other point: Who is sacrificing Gailey for Bilbo? No person on the board has any authority to play Bilbo against the wishes of Gailey. I am positive Gailey will play the quarterback he things gives him the best chance of winning.

I am sure he will give the freshmen a good look, but I am also sure he will not insert any of them as the first string QB if he thinks they cannot handle the job.

If we start a freshman quarterback, "what guarantee do we have that it will not cost us a couple of ball games?", the same as you suspect might happen with Bilbo.

drinking.gif

Go ahead and sue me but....I hope I never see Suggs QB a Tech team again! If Bilbo stuggles, like stated above, go with one of the freshmen or Camp. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
mad.gif

Thanks Fatjacket,
You gave me that crack in the door opening I have been looking for. I have been at the spring game for the past several years and last year as well as this year I was quite impressed with Camp. Last year, even more than this year; but this year as well. Granted, it may be the defense that is there when he gets his chance but I don't know that for sure.
Anyway, if things do not "go right" with Bilbo, (which I hope they do); I honestly think that CAmp needs a good shot. This year as no other " the future is now" (for the coaching staff).
I told the young man and to me it is true: he throws the most beautiful, accurate pass of any I have seen on the squad. Now there may be many reasons for not playing him.....but to these dim and untrained eyes, this young man shows up as well as any others, and maybe better. I saw several perfectly thrown passes dropped on him Saturday, and I saw a few nice completions. For you fellas who see and know a lot better than I do, I will not argue, but really, why does he not get more of a shot than he does/has? He looks a lot like that Purdue guy from a couple of years ago to me. Open to information........OFFOC.
smile.gif

Back