Bilbo versus Suggs

Beernuts and techsamillion both make very good points,but when it is all said and done the coaches will decide and we will have to like it or lump it,anyway there will be some new competition come the fall!
drinking.gif

if you look at the first half of lil Joe's soph season he had a 1-1 TD/INT ratio.

Fridge almost sat him down then the second half of the year he secured his all ACC status.

What we see w/ Bilbo is an upside. Even the TD Suggs had during spring was underthrone.

Bilbo's was a rope. I don't mind Suggs being there in relief but if we start Suggs I think 1-3 start is likely.

I saw improvement in Bilbo too. At an earlier scrimmage, he had no time because of the defensive rush. This time he had an additional second to locate his receivers, but then he was running for his life again.

I hope that the defenses we play are not as good as what we have been developing here. With a little more protection time, I believe that Bilbo will gel because he will have more chances to develop the called play.

I also think that Bilbo looks more anxious than AJ because he is. He wants desperately to succeed in every play. I don't pick up on the same level of intensity with AJ.

I say start Bilbo, use a lot of handoff running plays, use a QB keeper, throw deep patterns, and just a few short patterns to running backs, and the TE. Let him develop his savvy like Little Joe.

The Defense will need to rotate on the line to keep us in the games early on. However, after the first 4, we should be ready to shake and bake. The problem is that we could easily be 0-4, but we could also be 3-1 if our defense can handle the jobs long enough to allow our offense to crank up. If if if if if!!!!!

Techsamillion, I posted several times last year that I could not understand the staff failing to put Camp in if they felt Bilbo had not learned the plays. Camp had been around for a long time, and, I feel sure he knew the plays.

Although, I did not think Camp was above any of the others Saturday, I do think he was more consistent than Suggs. He appears to be one of those quarterbacks that does not look flashy, but seems to be consistent.

Sort of reminds me of some of a Wake Forest QB of the past couple of years.

smile.gif

I agree with most of the posts in the thread. Bilbo should be the man this year. If he gets knocked out then Suggs OR Camp can relieve or try one of the frogs.

If we had done this last year we would be much further along now.

Also agree that Camp needs to be given a fair shot if Bilbo needs a break. Anybody remember quarterbacks like Jack Williams and John Dewberry. Never spectacular, but solid play and not making the big mistake, letting the skill players make the big plays. We won some big games with these guys.

Definitely something to be said for that approach when you feel like you are giving games away by making turnovers at key times.

BTW I have heard that a former QB O'Neil died. Anybody know what happened?

Beernuts, not many qbs have as strong an arm as Bilbo on any level of play. Now I'm talking strictly on his arm strengt only!!! He also has good speed and size. Suggs has a VERY WEAK arm and very slow afoot. The freshman WILL NOT BE READY! If Bilbo fails then Camp should be given a shot. If aj has to do most of the quarterbacking then FORGET ABOUT IT!!!!

AB-SO-LuTELY, re: Bilbo: as per arm stength: he told me over a year ago that he might not throw it 70 yards while on his knees but he can throw it 65. For the record: I am a Bilbo man all the way!! I am in agreement with the statement to the effect that: "an athlete of his calibre cannot afford to be kept on the sidelines". I say, play him PERIOD!! I love the guy, his ability and attitude. He looks looser yet stronger and more matured (bodily) than last year. I hope that the summer and fall work-outs bring out more of the best in him. And he can fly!!!! But if he must be subbed, I hope that Camp gets a good shot. I think he would come through!!! I really appreciate this young man.
Motto: "WHATEVER IT TAKES"!!!!!!!

I have rethought the reliever situation and have concluded that Camp ought to get a piece of the job. If Bilbo should be the starter, Camp should be the reliever. AJ had a whole year to prove himself and didn't get it done. Somebody else (Bilbo?) needs the nod, and Camp deserves some PT along with a Frog. Next year, Camp and AJ graduate, and we need a backup with some experience.

May sound like "placation" (whatever that means) but anyway......thanks for thoughts: Mustard and techrod.

Look, I'm with you guys in that I want Bilbo to play well and succeed here at Tech. But I don't want to risk having a dismal year trying to give a guy with some upside some playing time when it may turn out he just...can't...do it.

I just want to win. I really don't care how. If Suggs plays and we turn into a Nebraska South and run the ball 75% of the time and win 8 or so games, then hell, I'm happy as a bee in honey. I just want the best. And you guys who crucify Suggs might have to handle seeing him play more next year. That's all I'm trying to say.

However, here's to Bilbo practicing through the fall, and the light finally "clicks."

ps, Whoever said Suggs is weak-armed and slow-footed, so was Godsey (devil's advocate here, no need to respond to that
wink.gif

Bingo Reminder: Boy, would I love to see a successful option play become a consistent and succesful part of our repertoir(pardon: never could do French and care less than ever that I am inept, re: recent politcal events)
grin.gif

Beernuts, sorry but I have had too many frustrations with that guy at qb. Too many ruined Saturdays is too much for me to go through again!!! If Chan gives it to aj then I'm out. And I am a loooong time supporter of the Jackets. I will still pull for them, but from my comfortable couch rather than fight the traffic, parking, heat or cold or rain, and the expense. I truthfully have only given a small amount over the years to the At fund. Bought my own season tkts along with my wifes through another rather large doner. I have helped recruit when fans could do that, entertained former Tech assistents with dinner before scouting hi school games, Bill Curry called me to meet with him when in my home town on a rec. trip, and Al Ciraldo visited me at my work place, and I had former AD. Doug Weaver speak at my civic club. Just letting you know I am not fair weather fan, but just frustrated with what I saw last year. Now I am straddling the fence with Chan and maybe leaning more on the positive side. Having said all this if he starts the guy then I would have had enough!!

#10 Camp played well Saturday and was consistant. He doesn't fold under pressure like Suggs tends to do. I wouldn't mind Camp being the starting QB.

A.J. is a fine young man and I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll probably end up working for him one day but he's a bust as a college QB. Wake up and smell the coffee. Hello, Dorothy, this ain't Kansas! Having said that Damarius is still a project but like as was noted above I, too, remember Joe Ham's beginnings, not to mention Godsey. When Godsey was JH's backup I thought we were doomed if he ever got in the game. Guess what happened there? Dbo needs game experience and I think he'll rise to form. If not, I'd give the ball directly to one of the frosh, there's only three of 'em. As far as the WRs dropping passes is concerned, a REAL WR never drops balls. They catch 'em with their toenails, they catch 'em with their eyebrows, they catch 'em with their lips but THEY CATCH 'EM!!! You die before you drop a ball. No way a man has two hands and can't catch a football especially when thats what he's suppossed to do. No way!
I'm sure Buddy Geis is in "aggreance" on this point and will be working with these fellows in the off season. Tony Hollings notion about carrying a ball with him everywhere he goes to cure the dropsies is a good idea.

The talk about going to the frosh if DB struggles is unrealistic. He is so far ahead of any of them that it would probably be better to bring in Camp and let the newbies get in some time when possible. To put it in perspective, if one of our best ever...JH...was coming in as a freshman, he wouldn't be close to what DB is now. Shawn Jones, might arguably be an exception to this.

If DB does struggle early, which is highly likely, I sure don't want to see a quick hook before he can play through it...Jones and Hamilton had to do it. There's no painless way around it. Of course real pain was the "no hook" last year. If DB stays healthy and is allowed to mature, I think we will have something special by mid-season. THWG

Right on, GoldZ. We are just have to play thru it. DB is going to be a special QB about mid season, but he must learn it thru trial and error.

AJ had a WHOLE Season. He has had his turn. Come on, lets give DB his shot, and Camp his shot. At worst, we could start Camp and relieve with DB. At best, we could start DB and relieve with Camp. But another season like last is a no no. The situation reminds me of the Lord's saying: I would rather you be hot or cold, not luke warm.

Originally posted by techrod:
Beernuts, sorry but I have had too many frustrations with that guy at qb. Too many ruined Saturdays is too much for me to go through again!!! If Chan gives it to aj then I'm out. And I am a loooong time supporter of the Jackets. I will still pull for them, but from my comfortable couch rather than fight the traffic, parking, heat or cold or rain, and the expense. I truthfully have only given a small amount over the years to the At fund. Bought my own season tkts along with my wifes through another rather large doner. I have helped recruit when fans could do that, entertained former Tech assistents with dinner before scouting hi school games, Bill Curry called me to meet with him when in my home town on a rec. trip, and Al Ciraldo visited me at my work place, and I had former AD. Doug Weaver speak at my civic club. Just letting you know I am not fair weather fan, but just frustrated with what I saw last year. Now I am straddling the fence with Chan and maybe leaning more on the positive side. Having said all this if he starts the guy then I would have had enough!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Would it make you happier if Bilbo play this upcoming year, but has a worse season than AJ, and Tech is 3-9?

Because, if that's the case, then that should be your reason to be "long gone."

Fact is, neither QB is all that good. Live with it, and just hope one of our QB's (don't care who), turns out to be decent.

Beernuts I agree w/ you. We really need to win at least 2 out of the next 4.

I think you may have to sit Bilbo down 1/2 of one game, but then start him the next game. I think AJ can help the team. He is experienced and performed adequately in UVA and NCST games.

I just want to see Bilbo start.

Technut, I agree wholeheartedly with you about the QB situation. And I also agree with how you will react to it. No more AJ please.

Back