Bilbo versus Suggs

Which 2 of the next 4 are we supposed to win? We could lose all 4, realistically speaking. One win would be good. Two would be great. Three would be unrealistic. Four?????

Four wins is the goal, it is possible if DB gels without any more game experience, but it is unlikely. We need to invest in DB. DB has closed the gap with AJ. IMO, he will most likely pass AJ in fall preps because he is improving, and AJ is plateaued.

If DB does not pass AJ, then perhaps we start AJ or, better yet, Camp and relieve with DB. Certainly we start with the best. But DB has to be in the mix somehow.

The wins and losses of course matter to me, but HONESTLY I would heap rather loose with Bilbo than win with aj!!! AJ HAD HIS CHANCE AND ONLY HAD @ DECENT GAMES. AS FAR I AM CONCERNED HE HAD A HUGE HAND IN SOME LOSSES. NEVER AGAIN DO I WANT TO SEE HIM PLAY unless it be on mop up duty and that being after several other qbs have played. To think Chan would have the audacity to even hint at aj starting is beyond me! Bilbo DOES HAVE ability like not many others and its Chan's job to get that out of him. If he can'y then all you guys will be crying all fall!!! Including me, but I will be crying in the comfort of my own home. That is if aj gets the start. He is on a ship and getting a free ride and be able to handle the job or the critisism. If he performed on a regular job as he did on the field then what would his employer say or do. He would say you had a huge chance to things done and you didn't do it! Now if he ends up winning the slot and wins a bunch of games you can all call me down on it, but his ability was certainly lacking last year, and I dispised his attitude after the fsu game!!! If he does play I will pull for him.

techrod, I'm hoping Bilbo develops and plays QB all year, but I'd rather win with AJ than lose with DeBo. I understand what you're saying, but wins are wins man.

NCJACKET, I sincerely respect that, and I appreciate your understanding. I have said enough, but of course when you believe in something its always difficult to remain silent. At least for me.

Originally posted by techrod:
The wins and losses of course matter to me, but HONESTLY I would heap rather loose with Bilbo than win with aj!!! AJ HAD HIS CHANCE AND ONLY HAD @ DECENT GAMES. AS FAR I AM CONCERNED HE HAD A HUGE HAND IN SOME LOSSES. NEVER AGAIN DO I WANT TO SEE HIM PLAY unless it be on mop up duty and that being after several other qbs have played. To think Chan would have the audacity to even hint at aj starting is beyond me! Bilbo DOES HAVE ability like not many others and its Chan's job to get that out of him. If he can'y then all you guys will be crying all fall!!! Including me, but I will be crying in the comfort of my own home. That is if aj gets the start. He is on a ship and getting a free ride and be able to handle the job or the critisism. If he performed on a regular job as he did on the field then what would his employer say or do. He would say you had a huge chance to things done and you didn't do it! Now if he ends up winning the slot and wins a bunch of games you can all call me down on it, but his ability was certainly lacking last year, and I dispised his attitude after the fsu game!!! If he does play I will pull for him.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">#1 You're nuts about losing with DBo rather than winning with AJ. I'm ashamed you're a Tech fan to have actually said that. If you could have AJ play over DBo, and be GUARANTEED 2 more wins, you'd take AJ. And if you didn't, I'd tell you to take a walk over to Athens, cause thats where you'd belong.

#2, You sure talk about ABILITY alot, but did George Godsey have a lick of ABILITY? Lord no, he was slow and weak armed. But he KNEW the game. ABILITY means SQUAT if it doesn't produce on the field.

Please, tell me what have you seen on the field that says Bilbo should be our QB? Just face the fact none of our QB's are that good, and we might have to play with a below-average QB, be it AJ or DBo.

I think there are a lot of Tech fans that are gun-shy right now. There have been few posters expecting 4-0, but there have been many more stating we could be 0-4.

You guys have got to remember, defense wins games. From the scrimmage on Saturday, I saw the ingredients of a very good defense. This is Tenuta's second year, and I suspect it will be a pretty good defense.

I think our offense will be pretty good at times, but might sputter at times for the first four games. The good news is most teams seem to sputter the first part of the season unless they are playing real patsies.

As long as our defense keeps us in the games until the offense jels, I think we have a fair chance against any of the first four opponents. We have Auburn and Clemson at home, and FSU has its own set of problems these days.

We just might get a pleasant surprise.

wink.gif

Beernut, I don't like to attack people and I don't like to be attacked, but your last sentence tells me you have NO CLUE as to evaluating talent!! I would tell Chan the same thing. What Tech went through last year with aj is appalling let alone harmful for the lack of apprentice time Dbo should have had. You are darn right I would take that kind of season with Dbo and get him ready for the next 2 years than suffer through watching a hapless qb. AND FOR YOU TO TELL ME WHERE TO GO IS TOTTALLY UNCALLED FOR. YOU SIR; ARE WAY OUT OF LINE. TO TELL A TECH FAN OF 46 YEARS OFF IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!

Godsey made great decisions to go with great leadership! That goes A LOT father than more interceptions than touchdowns, lot less bad exchanges from center, and just being a plain out smarter player. Also I never saw George laughing after a loss!

Well beernuts let's see here, Bilbo comes in the WF game with us losing and WF with the momentum, and in a very short time we score a TD via a VERTICAL pass to Watkins on a rope, that AJ simply can't do...he comes in the NC game and in short order with defenders hanging all over him (which would have buried AJ) he throws a TD...he comes in the 2nd half of the bowl(sic) game with a despirited team and staff and leads the team to the only 2 TD half in months...the team visibly responds to him...he remains positive and supportive in the face of adversity. Other than that...not much. Harp on the ints if it makes u feel better, but the two best we ever had...SJ & JH did the same with much more playing and practice time than Bilbo has had. And finally, as to what has been seen on the field to suggest he should be the starter...the alternative. THWG

Originally posted by techrod:
Beernut, I don't like to attack people and I don't like to be attacked, but your last sentence tells me you have NO CLUE as to evaluating talent!! I would tell Chan the same thing. What Tech went through last year with aj is appalling let alone harmful for the lack of apprentice time Dbo should have had. You are darn right I would take that kind of season with Dbo and get him ready for the next 2 years than suffer through watching a hapless qb. AND FOR YOU TO TELL ME WHERE TO GO IS TOTTALLY UNCALLED FOR. YOU SIR; ARE WAY OUT OF LINE. TO TELL A TECH FAN OF 46 YEARS OFF IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Listen, you're missing my point. I thought my Godsey example spelled it out for you. Physical Talent (which can be EVALUATED) doesn't always spell success, ESPECIALLY for a QB. And the lack thereof doesnt always spell failure, and this is almost always related to the QB position.

Bilbo has heaps of physical talent, but he could spend the next 3 years starting for GA tech and never get it. He could still make those unbelievable throws, with his lighting fast release, and the ball just sails into the defenders hands again and again.

It's that way for alot of players who have Talent. For example, Akili Smith. He's big, mobile, and has a great arm. He was a "great pick" as the 2nd pick in the draft (2000?). But turns out, he can't play worth a lick. Whoever evaluated his talent could see he was physically gifted, but he doesn't have what it takes to play QB at that level. Could be what might happen to Bilbo at the college level. And who is the best person to evaluate it? I'll take Chan Gailey's over your any (or mine, for that matter) any day of the week.

Sometimes, we need to evaluate our strategy over the course of several seasons. For example, our wins could be like this:
Starting with 2002: 7, 6, 6, 8 (for AJ in 2003 succeeded by DB in 2004) versus 7, 5, 8, 11 (for DB for 3 straight years).

In this scenario, AJ and the status quo gives us 6 wins in 2003. Whereas we could go for the longer haul and pay our dues in 2003 for developing our next superstar. Besides, our defense may get us a game or two that we might otherwise lose. Plus 2003 could be surprisingly positive with DB's progressively gaining experience. He will be a veteran by the end of the year. AJ is already a veteran.

I know that this is a big old what-if scenario in the style of 20ozBulldog, but which would I rather have? DB!!!! DB is the unknown quantity and quality; AJ is a known.

Techrod, this is getting out of control. You need to get off your high horse my friend
wink.gif
(I had to tell you that because I was told to get off mine this morning hehe) We all can sit on the sideline and wish this, critique coaching decisions after the fact, and tell it as we see it. That's part of being a fan. I don't mean this ugly at all Techrod. You're obviously a very good man. Have grown to repect you on this board a great deal.

I can understand why anyone would want one qb over the other. It's pure speculation at this point as to what's going to happen. Let's wait and see what happens. I believe I have a very good idea what is, but there are two more guys coming in that will be with the team all summer enrolled early then two a days. I want them to have a chance. You never know who is super special. They need to be given a chance.

I know everyone can see the great tools Bilbo has. The young man is seriously gifted. Some fans feel if he can just get in there to learn down the road it will pay off. That was how it happened with Joe Hamilton as a lot of people bring up. I'm not going to get into spacifics here. This isn't the place, but I will say Joe worked very hard on and off the field. Godsey worked hard on and off the field. THey prepared and did the little things that helped them become great qbs. Some people have all the tools and can't ever get it done. Some people don't have all the tools, but can get it done. I realize it's coaches job to get these guys ready. Believe me some can't get it done regardless of coaching. I'm not going to bring up the great coaches name who told me that because I'm tired of GT fans talking about him.
wink.gif

All this about why someone played ahead of someone else can go much deeper than what we see as fans in some cases. There is much more to college football than what happens on the practice field during the week and what happens in the game.

I love Bilbo and Suggs. All the guys for that matter. Want to see them all do well as a team. I believe they put a big load on Bilbo all Spring for a reason. They had to test him hard to see what he could do. This was not just what we saw on practice field. They had to prapare for those sections. Now, I'm not talking about drawing up plays in the sand and seeing if he can learn that. They built a base offense this spring. From what I've heard fans got a little glimps of that during Spring Day. I've heard about formations they used that day. There is much more to this offense than that. Not sure what the reason was. I wasn't there to see it. Could be for number of reasons. We play one team that's very close to Atlanta second game of the season. I'm sure they had people there scouting. There could have been other reasons. Anway, they know a lot more about Bilbo now. To be honest with you I think he'll be the man. That has nothing to do with what happened Spring Day. Has everything to do with watching him from start of spring practice up until Spring Day. He really improved day to day. I believe that will continue. That's my take. That has nothing to do with Suggs who I really like. That has nothing to do with Camp who I really like. We'll see what Reggie Ball and Patrick Carter have. This is about team. They're all Jackets!

BTW, Techrod, you know I was teasing about the "high horse" comment. My first conversation this morning on phone with a senior VP with someone I sell for was telling me to get off mine. Nice way to start the morning huh? I'm laughing about it now.
grin.gif

I'll tell you what is going to make everyone feel a lot better! That's hitting the field and winning. I think we'll see the OL come together when we get Dorsey and Robinson back. The biggest thing to me this spring was finding a RG. That was accomplished. Mr. Honeycutt can play! I don't think there is any doubt our OL has improved at point of attack. Now they just need to play together to jell in pass protection. I think Salih will be key back up when healthy as well as Andy Tidwel-Neal. Reilly if healthy has a real chance of being all ACC.

A couple of things need to happen for us to be GOOD in my book. Number one is QB obviously. Numbet two is serious injuries as in a rash of them. Can't have that. Number three is we need someone coming in a true freshman to help us in short yardage situations at DT. Our DL is better than last year. Think we are stronger at point of attack. Think we'll put pressure on Qb against anyone, but we're not where we need to be in bowing up and stoping that 4th and 1 for example. That's how I see it. The right one player could make a huge difference in that area.

Go Jackets!

Let's just put Jonathan Smith in at QB, and run the hell outta the ball. To heck with this passing stuff!
wink.gif

Back in the 70's (I think), we beat a mighty Notre Dame team without throwing a forward pass. I think that it was in South Bend, too.

Hi everyone,

Not to defend AJ, but any quarterback looks a lot better when he has time to throw. Our OL was banged up and didn't play to their potential the last half of the season.

If these guys are healthy and we get some improved play from our defensive tackles, we could pull some surprises the first half of 2003.

71bee, you are on target. We need to pray for our guys. We need for the injury bug to go somewhere else. It would be nice to hear those who have been ragging us on our so-called whining about injuries to have to eat their words. However, I would not wish that injury bug on anybody except Saddam.

Mustard, you are correct about Tech beating Notre Dame in the 1970's without throwing a pass but the game was at our place and the score was 23-9 I
believe. I am old and forgetful.

Back