Bill curry 1980-81

I'm not advocating one way or another, but there is a stark difference in the state of the program during 1980 and now. In 80, the school was contemplating elimination of football all together. You can say give curry credit but we all know it was Dodd the mastermind, bringing in Rice that turned the program around. Now, all we did was swap a coach with a winning record, a highly productive offense, some high level success, a few terrible years, and a habitually horrible defense for one that is a giant question mark.

I hope that CGC is successful, just as much as anybody. Was it a worthwhile change? Only time will tell. I do know for a fact that we won't be winning the ACC or an Orange Bowl any time soon though.
We weren't going to win the ACC or an Orange bowl any time soon if CPJ had continued to be the coach either. I don't know if the change is worthwhile, but if definitely had to be made. The question now is was it the right change.

The Furman debacles were not as bad as this loss. I have followed the Jackets for 60 years and this is the worse loss EVER.
Losing games to people you shouldn’t when you’re bad isn’t as bad as losing games when you are good.

2009 Georgia was a worse loss on a national stage.

I'm not advocating one way or another, but there is a stark difference in the state of the program during 1980 and now. In 80, the school was contemplating elimination of football all together. You can say give curry credit but we all know it was Dodd the mastermind, bringing in Rice that turned the program around. Now, all we did was swap a coach with a winning record, a highly productive offense, some high level success, a few terrible years, and a habitually horrible defense for one that is a giant question mark.

I hope that CGC is successful, just as much as anybody. Was it a worthwhile change? Only time will tell. I do know for a fact that we won't be winning the ACC or an Orange Bowl any time soon though.
You sure?? According to some people around here this is our worst loss ever?? So pretty much everyone is stuck in between this mentality and this is the worst I’ve ever seen us.

You guys can’t have both. This isn’t as low as 1980 and we won’t go 1-10 two years in a row.

We could beat Va tech. Hell we might even beat duke or Pitt. But let’s not kid ourselves.

This is a rebuild:
1980: 1-9-1
1981: 1-10
1982: 6-5
1983: 3-8
1984: 6-4-1
1985: 9-2-1 ranked #18

2019:?

Y’all want to abandon the program because it’s hard? You have been made weak by our weak ass culture. I’m not talking about those complaining about the QBs or money down or the lack of offense. I’m talking about those of you that want to quit being fans. ööööing pussies.
That was a much tougher rebuild than the one Collins is facing. When Bill took over we had very few players who would be considered D1 quality. Pepper recruited skill position players fairly well, but by the time he was fired the ranks were empty. He had been promised facilities upgrades, but it didn't happen, so what Bill inherited was a wreck. Remember, moving down to DII was under serious discussion at the time.

Those first few years of Bill's tenure were recruiting with both hands tied behind his back, not to mention learning how to be a head coach; he had zero college coaching experience. He actually, seriously, thought we had a shot at Herschel as an example of his naivete.

We've got good, even great facilities and I'd say a fair bit more talent than Bill inherited. Collins needs to work to keep the base and especially the boosters on board; Pepper's antics pissed off the big donors, sealing his fate a few years before his firing. Hopefully Collins can keep them satisfied.

And on the other hand, Gailey never got the support of certain boosters, and an insidious undercurrent of fans on the internet undercut his recruiting miring him in mediocrity.

And here we go again.

That was a much tougher rebuild than the one Collins is facing. When Bill took over we had very few players who would be considered D1 quality. Pepper recruited skill position players fairly well, but by the time he was fired the ranks were empty. He had been promised facilities upgrades, but it didn't happen, so what Bill inherited was a wreck. Remember, moving down to DII was under serious discussion at the time.

Those first few years of Bill's tenure were recruiting with both hands tied behind his back, not to mention learning how to be a head coach; he had zero college coaching experience. He actually, seriously, thought we had a shot at Herschel as an example of his naivete.

We've got good, even great facilities and I'd say a fair bit more talent than Bill inherited. Collins needs to work to keep the base and especially the boosters on board; Pepper's antics pissed off the big donors, sealing his fate a few years before his firing. Hopefully Collins can keep them satisfied.

And on the other hand, Gailey never got the support of certain boosters, and an insidious undercurrent of fans on the internet undercut his recruiting miring him in mediocrity.

And here we go again.

Trey Braun: "If you want the team to represent the Institute on the field for goodness sake do so in your own sphere of influence."

Sigged.

You sure?? According to some people around here this is our worst loss ever?? So pretty much everyone is stuck in between this mentality and this is the worst I’ve ever seen us.

You guys can’t have both. This isn’t as low as 1980 and we won’t go 1-10 two years in a row.
Well, i just disagree. Furman was a 1-aa powerhouse and playing for small college natl. championships every other year. This damn team was 0-2 in the Southern Conference. You can look at it however you like but, it is the worst loss i have EVER seen by a GT team.

Losing games to people you shouldn’t when you’re bad isn’t as bad as losing games when you are good.

2009 Georgia was a worse loss on a national stage.
You are dreaming, you dont even make sense

You are dreaming, you dont even make sense
How does that not make sense? Explain it. We knew we were going to suck this year. Personally losses against people we shouldn’t lose to when we have a good team hurts worse because it takes a loss from a good season.

You praise the mighty Furman but there are people saying we were about to cancel the program back then. What I’m trying to tell you is that this loss isn’t as bad as it seems. We won’t have seasons as bad as 1980 and 1981.

How does that not make sense? Explain it. We knew we were going to suck this year. Personally losses against people we shouldn’t lose to when we have a good team hurts worse because it takes a loss from a good season.

You praise the mighty Furman but there are people saying we were about to cancel the program back then. What I’m trying to tell you is that this loss isn’t as bad as it seems. We won’t have seasons as bad as 1980 and 1981.
I will give you 1 stat, you can take it or leave it. That was the 1st Citadel win against the mighty ACC ever, using a backup qb.

I will give you 1 stat, you can take it or leave it. That was the 1st Citadel win against the mighty ACC ever.
Statistics be like that. Given a long enough time line with enough games against the acc over a 50 year period (what 25 attempts?) then anything that can happen will happen. It just happened to us. My point is this: it won’t matter 3 years from now, the kids care more that you, the coaches care more than you.
Put down the gun AJ, don’t end it all. There will be better years than this.

Statistics be like that. Given a long enough time line with enough games against the acc over a 50 year period (what 25 attempts?) then anything that can happen will happen. It just happened to us. My point is this: it won’t matter 3 years from now, the kids care more that you, the coaches care more than you.
Put down the gun AJ, don’t end it all. There will be better years than this.
I never said i quit on the team, i said it was the worse, most embarrasing loss in my 60 years as a Tech fan and i stick by that.

Trey Braun: "If you want the team to represent the Institute on the field for goodness sake do so in your own sphere of influence."

Sigged.
With all due respect to Trey Braun, our players deserve a much better coaching staff than the one we currently have.

I take a little comfort in the fact that Kirby Smart damn near lost to Nicholls State -- a school I'd not even heard of prior to their contest against the dwags -- in his first year. Paul's first squad also had to block a FG to beat Gardner Webb. In 2015, Malzahn's Auburn Tigers had to go to overtime to beat Jacksonville State just two years after appearing in the national championship game. The critical difference, of course, is that the FBS team won in all of those cases. But a single play could have spelled the difference.

Not excusing Collins at all. This was an all-time horrible loss. But with an absolutely depleted o-line and an offense in transition, I guess I'm just trying to find a way to be optimistic here. Maybe it'll be all right.

Back