Brad Stewart

No he doesn't. Alexander, Saint-Amour, Marshall, and Jackson are all ahead of him. Also pending transfers and JHD are ahead of him.

I think JHD is already being counted as on scholarship, but I agree with your assessment as far as what's available for him at this point.

wait Brad Stewart is white? I thought he was native American.

GT/CPJ is going to end up looking like the bad guy in this situation now that Singleton has decommitted. Carvel is already working his hardest to try and stir up controversy.

"Singleton’s de-commitment could open a spot at Georgia Tech for Brad Stewart...Stewart said he was given a “grayshirt” offer, with the promise of being able to join Georgia Tech’s 2015 recruiting class if a spot opened before next January."

Likely, Stewart's deal was that he would not get a scholarship offer before signing day because we already have guys out there with offers, but he could PWO and be guaranteed a scholarship by Jan 2016 at the latest; earlier if we lost any players before then.

Due to Carvel's (probably intentionally) vague description of the situation, everyone is now assuming that Singleton's spot is now owed to Stewart. Everyone is already clamoring on the internet and in Savannah about it, expecting Stewart to get the spot, but I doubt that was the arrangement.

Carvel's strange fascination of this kid and hatred of GT means we are going to get a post like this on the AJC every step along the way until this kid get a scholarship or goes somewhere else. Not surprising at all coming from the AJC.

Maybe Im wrong and we give the spot to Stewart, but with some other targets still holding offers from pre-Stewart, I doubt it.

Meh it will only make us look as if people assume things that aren't true.

GT/CPJ is going to end up looking like the bad guy in this situation now that Singleton has decommitted. Carvel is already working his hardest to try and stir up controversy.

"Singleton’s de-commitment could open a spot at Georgia Tech for Brad Stewart...Stewart said he was given a “grayshirt” offer, with the promise of being able to join Georgia Tech’s 2015 recruiting class if a spot opened before next January."

Likely, Stewart's deal was that he would not get a scholarship offer before signing day because we already have guys out there with offers, but he could PWO and be guaranteed a scholarship by Jan 2016 at the latest; earlier if we lost any players before then.

Due to Carvel's (probably intentionally) vague description of the situation, everyone is now assuming that Singleton's spot is now owed to Stewart. Everyone is already clamoring on the internet and in Savannah about it, expecting Stewart to get the spot, but I doubt that was the arrangement.

Carvel's strange fascination of this kid and hatred of GT means we are going to get a post like this on the AJC every step along the way until this kid get a scholarship or goes somewhere else. Not surprising at all coming from the AJC.

Maybe Im wrong and we give the spot to Stewart, but with some other targets still holding offers from pre-Stewart, I doubt it.

The majority of people in the state of Georgia are UGA fans anyway so doubt the Carvell articles move the meter tremendously, one way or the other.

Meh it will only make us look as if people assume things that aren't true.

I dont know what the actual arrangement was, but a lot of people are assuming that the spot should be Stewart's. Im from Savannah and close to the BC program and have already seen a half-dozen BC/Savannah folks posting about Singleton's decommitment on FB, including a BC coach.

Right or wrong, a lot of people there will be pissed at GT if he doesnt get the offer.

Not a huge deal, but most of the state hates us already. This will just be more ignorant fuel to the fire.

I dont know what the actual arrangement was, but a lot of people are assuming that the spot should be Stewart's. Im from Savannah and close to the BC program and have already seen a half-dozen BC/Savannah folks posting about Singleton's decommitment on FB, including a BC coach.

Right or wrong, a lot of people there will be pissed at GT if he doesnt get the offer.

Not a huge deal, but most of the state hates us already. This will just be more ignorant fuel to the fire.

Winning creates more fans than giving away one scholarship to a kid hailing from a region full of uga fans.

At this point I'm starting to think Brad Stewart's a trojan horse presented at our gates by Carvell. They discovered they're not going to beat us for the next few years so they're sending this kid in. And everything's falling in place.

Look at Bama and how many kids Saban screws over from their state and other states in the south. I don't think it creates massive drops in their fanbase. They worship him over there.

Look at Bama and how many kids Saban screws over from their state and other states in the south. I don't think it creates massive drops in their fanbase. They worship him over there.

The effect on our fan base would be a non issue, but for recruiting in the future, it's never good to piss off a high school or city and have them feeling like we mistreated one of their kids. People already have enough reasons why not to chose GT.

I'm overstating all of this, of course, but hey, it's the offseason.

The effect on our fan base would be a non issue, but for recruiting in the future, it's never good to piss off a high school or city and have them feeling like we mistreated one of their kids. People already have enough reasons why not to chose GT.

Alright. I can see that. I say we take him but watch him really closely. I never really got over Trojan horses.

Looks like I may be wrong about the situation. Maybe he really was promised an offer if we lost a commitment, at least it looks like that's what Stewart thinks.

From the Savannah Morning News:

"The grayshirt offer means that Georgia Tech has currently filled all its scholarship offers for this signing period, but Johnson told Stewart if one of those signings fell through or someone left the team between now and the next signing period, he will be offered the next scholarship."

“It’s was the first time I’ve met coach Johnson in person and it went really well,” said Stewart, who has a 4.26 GPA. “He explained to me that they have all their scholarship offers filled with verbal commitments right now. But he said there is a solution with the grayshirt. If one of those commitments drops out and a spot opens up, he gave me his word I would get the next scholarship.”

http://savannahnow.com/share/blog-p...brad-stewart-receives-grayshirt-offer-georgia

If this is the case, I really hope we offer him.

This. The last thing we want to do is give high school coaches a reason not to like it. Saban get's away with it because it doesn't matter if Bama burns a bridge or two. We don't have that luxury.

Looks like I may be wrong about the situation. Maybe he really was promised an offer if we lost a commitment, at least it looks like that's what Stewart thinks.

From the Savannah Morning News:

"The grayshirt offer means that Georgia Tech has currently filled all its scholarship offers for this signing period, but Johnson told Stewart if one of those signings fell through or someone left the team between now and the next signing period, he will be offered the next scholarship."

“It’s was the first time I’ve met coach Johnson in person and it went really well,” said Stewart, who has a 4.26 GPA. “He explained to me that they have all their scholarship offers filled with verbal commitments right now. But he said there is a solution with the grayshirt. If one of those commitments drops out and a spot opens up, he gave me his word I would get the next scholarship.”

http://savannahnow.com/share/blog-p...brad-stewart-receives-grayshirt-offer-georgia

If this is the case, I really hope we offer him.

I read that a little differently. I saw it as, you commit to come here as a GS and you will get the next opening that becomes available after NSD. I didn't read it as "just sit tight and we will offer you the next scholarship no matter what." Would be odd if all of a sudden Stewart was #1 on our list of potential targets.

I read that a little differently. I saw it as, you commit to come here as a GS and you will get the next opening that becomes available after NSD. I didn't read it as "just sit tight and we will offer you the next scholarship no matter what." Would be odd if all of a sudden Stewart was #1 on our list of potential targets.

That's what I figured the actual agreement was. He walks on and if a spot opens up AFTER signing day, or if someone decommits and we have an extra spot AFTER signing day, it is his. In that scenario, he does not get a scholarship offer at all, pre-signing day...the guys who have been holding offers are ahead of him in line.

This line from that report makes me think that either the reporter or Stewart (or both) did not understand it that way:

"if one of those signings fell through or someone left the team between now and the next signing period, he will be offered the next scholarship"

I really just hope Stewart and CPJ are on the same page, whatever the agreement may be.

FINALLY, some recruiting drama!

There has been nothing definite announced about Stewart accepting whatever offer CPJ might have made, so it would be premature to speculate about whether CPJ is honoring his word. The last I heard, Stewart and his father felt good about Tech and were planning an official visit. The ball is still in their court, with the caveat being that Tech might have a scholarship to give, now. There may have been other recruits with similar offers on the table--Tech can't discuss any of this publicly. From a negotiating standpoint, Stewart's best strategy would be to not commit to anything, now, short of a formal scholarship offer. He can probably get a PWO spot anytime, so why rush to accept something less than a signing day party.

There has been nothing definite announced about Stewart accepting whatever offer CPJ might have made, so it would be premature to speculate about whether CPJ is honoring his word. The last I heard, Stewart and his father felt good about Tech and were planning an official visit. The ball is still in their court, with the caveat being that Tech might have a scholarship to give, now. There may have been other recruits with similar offers on the table--Tech can't discuss any of this publicly. From a negotiating standpoint, Stewart's best strategy would be to not commit to anything, now, short of a formal scholarship offer. He can probably get a PWO spot anytime, so why rush to accept something less than a signing day party.

We will know if CPJ offers Stewart. No speculation will be necessary.

Stewart would only have had to "accept" the PWO with guaranteed scholly if he was not straight up offered a scholarship now. He would have no incentive to publicly accept a PWO before signing day. He might as well hold out for a real scholarship from GT or others.

The potential problem is that everyone may be misunderstanding what was promised and it could set CPJ up to look pretty bad and piss a lot of people off.

Carvel has even since made another post about it. He's really pushing that this was the deal. If it was not (which CPJ can never comment on), and we dont offer him, GT and CPJ look bad.

"Singleton’s departure ignited heavy speculation that Georgia Tech might offer his spot to Brad Stewart...Johnson made Stewart a grayshirt offer and promised him a spot if one became available earlier"

The situation may have in fact been that Stewart would not, not matter what, get a scholarship offer before signing day, but he could PWO and get one later. I tend to think this was the ACTUAL deal since I know we are still waiting on other targets to decide, but If we dont offer Stewart a full scholly now that a spot has opened (whether he accepts or not is irrelevant), there will be some people who misunderstood the situation and will be upset.

People are going to be super pissed. The uga fans at work were all talking about Stewart and how excited they were for him for getting the offer. If it doesn't come through as is being reported, there is going to be a lot of anger at Tech. Savannah kids don't get many big school offers, and this is a big deal for a lot of people, especially the private school crowds.

I'm sure PJ spelled out the scenarios for Brad and his family. PJ and Brad's uncle are on good terms. Maybe the nuances didnt come through clearly in Brad's comments to the SMN, I don't know.

Back