Brent Key Performance Metric Poll

How many games would Brent Key have to win to earn perm HC job?

• 8 out of 8

• 7 out of 8

• 6 out of 8

• 5 out of 8

• 4 out of 8

• 3 out of 8

• Don’t want him period.

• He should get the job regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
Which, unless you’ve had a personal run-in with the guy, makes no sense to me. We should be so lucky to have a former player turn out to be our next great coach. Hoping for the opposite is idiotic.
Don’t get emotional. Having worked for O’Leary and playing at GT are emotional. Hire the best candidate for the job with or without a GT past. I’m looking at his body of work and see nothing that really stands out except OL coach at Bama.

Which, unless you’ve had a personal run-in with the guy, makes no sense to me. We should be so lucky to have a former player turn out to be our next great coach. Hoping for the opposite is idiotic.

I'd love for him to do well and get the job but I definitely understand the people who want to stay away -- did you see our O-Line over the past 3 seasons?

Why wouldn’t you want a coach if he makes your team successful? Even more so if he is better from a financial standpoint.
well this was an exercise in hypotheticals. I wasn’t expecting some of you to assume it’s going to happen and then give öööö to the others for not wanting Key in this magical scenario where he wins 6, 7 or 8. He’s not. He’ll be lucky to win 4. You can’t undo 3.5 years of damage in a few weeks.

well this was an exercise in hypotheticals. I wasn’t expecting some of you to assume it’s going to happen and then give öööö to the others for not wanting Key in this magical scenario where he wins 6, 7 or 8. He’s not. He’ll be lucky to win 4. You can’t undo 3.5 years of damage in a few weeks.

Sure. I think he did a crappy job as OL coach but maybe he was hindered in some way by the Clown or the culture instilled by the clown. I’m willing to give the guy a fair shake, but I don’t think he will be successful in being retained.

What would Key have to do to earn a permanent HC job? Not how many games is he going to win, but how many games would he have to win to impress you. Poll is private.
Beat Georgia is the only way and the only answer.

Don’t get emotional. Having worked for O’Leary and playing at GT are emotional. Hire the best candidate for the job with or without a GT past. I’m looking at his body of work and see nothing that really stands out except OL coach at Bama.

There’s zero emotion in hoping he succeeds. The emotion is in hoping he fails.

I'd love for him to do well and get the job but I definitely understand the people who want to stay away -- did you see our O-Line over the past 3 seasons?

So because the OL sucks, we want the guy who coached them to NOT be a good HC? That makes no sense. If you’re saying it makes it more UNLIKELY he will be a good HC, then sure. But there are people literally saying “I hope Key flops.”

Sure. I think he did a crappy job as OL coach but maybe he was hindered in some way by the Clown or the culture instilled by the clown. I’m willing to give the guy a fair shake, but I don’t think he will be successful in being retained.
Maybe Key saw how Cabrera fires people and doesn’t want to lose his cellphone on a Monday morning.

So because the OL sucks, we want the guy who coached them to NOT be a good HC? That makes no sense. If you’re saying it makes it more UNLIKELY he will be a good HC, then sure. But there are people literally saying “I hope Key flops.”

It makes sense if you think that eight games (really seven, because everyone acknowledges U[sic]GA is a blowout) is too small of a sample size to really determine anything, and you're worried that him winning five easy games will give GT the cover it needs to make the cheap and easy hire rather than opening the purses for someone else.

Personally I can't imagine rooting against Tech, and I hope he does well because I agree he could be a good HC, but I don't think the above view is irrational.

There’s zero emotion in hoping he succeeds. The emotion is in hoping he fails.
That’s why my vote was don’t want him period. It will fail regardless of my desire for the team to win. The most likely scenario is he may find a way to win one, two, or maybe three and then people will be wanting to hire him and he will flip. We will be stuck in a rut for another 3-4 years. GT needs to aspire for greater.

Why wouldn’t you want a coach if he makes your team successful? Even more so if he is better from a financial standpoint.
Because financial standpoint short term and long can be different. I don’t think GT needs to go for the budget guy and get back to mediocrity. I have always wanted them to do exactly as the President said and be just as successful at sports as education. It all represents GT.

Beat Georgia is the only way and the only answer.
Not that other coaches wouldn’t want this, but one advantage to having Key is that this game will be substantially more important to him than “outsiders”. I suspect.

Because financial standpoint short term and long can be different. I don’t think GT needs to go for the budget guy and get back to mediocrity. I have always wanted them to do exactly as the President said and be just as successful at sports as education. It all represents GT.

And I was addressing your comment that some people don't want Key no matter what. If he won the rest of the games, would they feel differently? I assume that some people would not.

Based on his comments this week, I think Collins limited all of the assistants in their efforts to coach up their players. Lets see how Key does and what our realistic alternatives are over the next two months. None of our alternatives are risk free.

Back