Brent Key Performance Metric Poll

How many games would Brent Key have to win to earn perm HC job?

• 8 out of 8

• 7 out of 8

• 6 out of 8

• 5 out of 8

• 4 out of 8

• 3 out of 8

• Don’t want him period.

• He should get the job regardless

Results are only viewable after voting.
he came back too early and made a huge mistake in joining Collins staff. I want Key to succeed but he needs to join a top tier coaches staff to learn and grow. Maybe in 4-6 years after our next coach has either been fired or took an SEC job because he overachieved, Key comes back to the flats.

He was on Nick Saban's coaching staff for three years immediately prior to coming back to Georgia Tech, right? And he was with O'Leary for a decade before that.

I'm certainly not saying he is a lock for getting our HC job -- personally I said he'd need to win five out of eight and I understand the people who say six. Either way, I think it's very unlikely to happen and odds are he will not be our HC.

But it's weird to me to say the reason he's not ready is because he need to join a top tier coach's staff and learn from them, because his resume is actually quite good in that regard.

Not sure if anyone has said this yet.

I think we may have found our Kirby, BUT he came back too early and made a huge mistake in joining Collins staff. I want Key to succeed but he needs to join a top tier coaches staff to learn and grow. Maybe in 4-6 years after our next coach has either been fired or took an SEC job because he overachieved, Key comes back to the flats.
I am "all in" for Key's chance to succeed. I'd like to see solid support for a workman like approach to building a program. Fundamentals can't be ignored. Key has made only a first step but it is exactly the right step.

But it's weird to me to say the reason he's not ready is because he need to join a top tier coach's staff and learn from them, because his resume is actually quite good in that regard.

The last 3 years is a huge stain on his resume. I saying he messed up his chance to be the HC next year because of joining Collins staff. He needs to go be a successful somewhere else for a few years.

I am "all in" for Key's chance to succeed. I'd like to see solid support for a workman like approach to building a program. Fundamentals can't be ignored. Key has made only a first step but it is exactly the right step.
I should have made "MAYBE" bolded and all caps.

The last 3 years is a huge stain on his resume. I saying he messed up his chance to be the HC next year because of joining Collins staff.

Right, and I think that's fair -- but if his failure under Collins is enough to prevent him from getting the GT HC job despite succeeding under O'Leary and Saban, why would succeeding under a third top tier coach for a few years change that?

If we're saying that his success under Saban and O'Leary is not enough because he failed under Collins (which, again, totally fair), then I think he needs to succeed at a HC job somewhere to prove himself. We already know he can succeed under a top tier coach, doing that a third time doesn't really give us any new info.

We are SO lucky to have Coach Brent Key leading us. I am frankly SO excited to have such a fantastic coach at our helm.

With experience with successful programs like Alabama (under Nick Saban no less!) and UCF (maybe GT fans will recognize the name GEORGE O'LEARY!), Brent Key has "Key"s to success.

Heck, I reckon that we will be fighting to KEEP CBK at the end of the season!

I understand the hesitancy of people wanting to consider Key as HFC. I fall in that group as well. I also understand those that have the "not no, hell no" attitude.

I certainly don't know enough about the inner workings of a college program, especially a P5 program, to what Key could or could not have done differently over the last 3 years. His road over the next 8 weeks will be muddy, rutted, and uphill both ways. It was absolutely refreshing to hear someone stand at the podium and actually talk football. It will be interesting to see what changes he makes and what effect those changes have on the program.

At this point, he's got to be a longshot for the position. I personally hope he knocks it out of the park and wins the job- not because I have any feelings whatsoever about him, but because I'd like to see a dramatic turnaround with immediate program success. If he can do that over the next 8 weeks, I'll look past his last 3 years under dipshit.

Right, and I think that's fair -- but if his failure under Collins is enough to prevent him from getting the GT HC job despite succeeding under O'Leary and Saban, why would succeeding under a third top tier coach for a few years change that?

If we're saying that his success under Saban and O'Leary is not enough because he failed under Collins (which, again, totally fair), then I think he needs to succeed at a HC job somewhere to prove himself. We already know he can succeed under a top tier coach, doing that a third time doesn't really give us any new info.
Time helps heal some wounds.

I’m not worried about considering Key for the HC position. He has probably the next 6 games to prove himself on that front. I think we’ll announce our next coach before the uga game.

Tough draw starting with Pitt. Collins should have been let go last year, but absolutely should have been fired after Ole Miss. You may still lose to ucf, but you have an extra week of installing the new practice routines before starting coastal play.

For me wins aren't the only metric. I expect losses to Pitt, F$U, and U[sic]GA. The remaining games seem winnable because all 5 are almost as bad as we are.

If he can win 5 games, get us back to a bowl, AND the team is playing honest to goodness football in November instead of pointing at each other after every play it may be useful to put Key on a one year contract with optional extension if he shows more improvement next year.

We can pay him less compared to a new hire to start the rebuild and endure the transition. If he can do it and make us actual opponents to other teams then pay him the real money (when we have it). The fans and AAwill need proof that the last three years were clown shoes's wacky nonsense and not iCBK's ability.

Let's say he does enough to keep the job for one year, then either plateaus or dips next year it is still low cost to relace him and we get a cleaner, more organized program to sell to potential hires.

I voted that I don't want him at all, but probably should have selected keep him at 6-2.

Really, the record the rest of the way matters less to me than seeing clear signs that the player preparation, individual game planning, and in-game management are where they need to be for a highly competitive P5 program. Fair or not, Key needs to impress in all facets to establish himself as the antithesis to Geoff Collins from a coaching standpoint.

Scrapping the ATL chart and appointing a special teams coordinator are good initial steps, though time will tell if those are substantive changes or merely nominal.

Seriously, I love linemen as head coaches. They tend to be smart and tough. Key might have a little Sam Pittman vibe. Good luck to him.

What a waste of hot air this thread is. He could possibly win 3 games but that’s the ceiling.

Back