Buster Faulkner

You really need to experience the juice man for a while if you want to appreciate your new head coach.

He also has strong ties to a certain Nebraska QB who is graduating soon with a year of eligibility left. Could be a two for one.

Base salary of MTSU coach was $821k. I don't think it makes sense from a money perspective. Things are coming together to make a run next year. I think there is much more to gain from a career perspective of having a killer season at GT in '24 and getting H. King to post some wild numbers.

Georgia Tech coordinator a candidate to become Middle Tennessee head coach
Buster Faulkner helped orchestrate major offensive turnaround for Tech
Georgia Tech fans cheer  during the second half of an NCAA college football game at Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta on Saturday, November 28, 2020.'s Bobby Dodd Stadium in Atlanta on Saturday, November 28, 2020.

Caption
Credit: Hyosub Shin/hshin@ajc.com
GEORGIA TECH
By Chad Bishop
41 minutes ago
Georgia Tech offensive coordinator Buster Faulkner is a candidate to become the head coach at Middle Tennessee, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed Thursday to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Faulkner, 42, helped orchestrate a major offensive turnaround for the Yellow Jackets in 2023. Tech has scored 14 more points per game this season compared with 2022, has the ACC’s top rushing offense at 197.1 yards per game and the league’s fifth-best total offense at 429.1 yards per contest.

“I think I’m the luckiest man in the world. Being from the state of Georgia, this is where I want to be,” Faulkner said after a Jackets practice in March. “I don’t want to be anywhere else.”
A former Parkview High and Valdosta State quarterback, Faulkner joined Brent Key’s staff earlier this year after three seasons as a quality-control and quarterbacks coach at Georgia. Faulkner was the Middle Tennessee offensive coordinator from 2011-15.
Faulkner signed a two-year contract with Tech and is being paid $750,000 annually.
Tech’s offense under the direction of Faulkner, and co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke, scored 48 touchdowns this season, more than twice the total from the ‘22 squad. Quarterback Haynes King has thrown for more than 2,700 yards, King and running back Jamal Haynes have totaled 1,579 yards rushing and 12 different players have caught a touchdown pass.

Middle Tennessee fired Rick Stockstill on Monday. Stockstill coached the Blue Raiders for 18 years.
Well we know they can run the WR screen over and over. Buster really likes that one. Whether it works or not.

As in any other business, if you think he’s worth retaining, pay the man what it takes to retain him.

Wow. Any chance Haynes King follows him?

No, he would have to sit out a year and also it would be a downgrade.

Moving from a P5 OC to G5 HC can make sense. Moving from a P5 QB who got all conference honorable mention to a G5 QB makes no sense.

Base salary of MTSU coach was $821k. I don't think it makes sense from a money perspective. Things are coming together to make a run next year. I think there is much more to gain from a career perspective of having a killer season at GT in '24 and getting H. King to post some wild numbers.
I don't see how he couldn't, with another year and a raise, go 1-2 more years and then jump into any job that isn't the head coaching job of a big factory school. Schools like Indiana, Duke, Wake, Vandy, UCF, Purdue.....schools that can pay bank, should be taking a look in a few years.

The best times over the last few decades have always included other programs wanting people from our staff.

Yet another indicator that the ship is headed in the right direction.

The corollary to this problem is that folks will also want to come here.

Whether we pony up and keep him or lose him and bring in equal or better is out of our control but of one thing I am certain: there is a zero chance we end up worse and a reasonable chance we come out better.

Back