California Loses the Rose Bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
I for one really like the bowls especially as they existed back fifty & sixty years ago

Really dislike the current playoff system & think it is a negative for the college football world.
Too lengthy to go into much detail but there seemed to be much more interest & discussion back 2hen polls decided the best teams. It seems if you are not one of the four teams on the playoff nowadays your season was a failure
If we keep the current system I like the idea of the poster above that all FBS conferences be included & only conference champions qualify.
Enjoyed the games yesterday.

This is a sport, not a pageant. Need to eliminate subjective rankings.

8 Div 1 FBS conferences, 16 teams per conference, 8 team champion only playoff
Agree. There is a lot of subjectivity to the current system and it’s based on money. Stuff like that means that unworthy Notre Dame in Georgia teams have an advantage in making the playoffs.
If being rid of the revenue-based subjectivity is something you guys are counting on to see your, honestly, more boring vision come to fruition, then I've got some bad news.

I for one really like the bowls especially as they existed back fifty & sixty years ago

Really dislike the current playoff system & think it is a negative for the college football world.
Too lengthy to go into much detail but there seemed to be much more interest & discussion back 2hen polls decided the best teams. It seems if you are not one of the four teams on the playoff nowadays your season was a failure
If we keep the current system I like the idea of the poster above that all FBS conferences be included & only conference champions qualify.
Enjoyed the games yesterday.

Yesterday’s games didn’t exist 50 or 60 years ago. Nothing wrong with change, and they have preserved traditions of the bowl games as much as possible while elevating Atlanta’s own bowl game from a 2nd tier game to one of the marquis games.

You hit the deep three. @ElCidBUZZingFAN suggested doing away with bowls but I still believe you should keep those for the non-playoff teams. Introduce non-championship tournaments, to be played before the CFP, if that is what it takes to inject a little more value into the now archaic concept. There are a ton of different ways you can go about that. The top ones could rotate in and out of championship and non-championship playoffs.

2020 Postseason
College Football Playoff
Semis: Sugar and Rose
CFP Final: Orange

First Tier Non-Championship Playoff: Tournament of Peaches
Semis: Cotton and Fiesta
Final: Peach

Second Tier Non-Championship Playoff: Citrus Invitational
Semis: Gator and Outback
Final: Citrus

#6-#12 play in the Tournament of Peaches (or Cotton, or Torneo de Fiesta, or whatever) and the Citrus/Gator/Outback Invitational selects the best of the remaining teams. All other non-playoff bowls select from the remaining teams.

you guys all hit it and ROCK; my thoughts w/slight adjustments:

- 8 teams across New Yrs with bye every other week, finals week before SBowl
- 5 conf champs, 1 group five if under a 12 rank. next two using same rankings we use now
- play bowls as is, leading up. no need to punish other teams. use same process to choose teams
- i would seed all 8 and not push conf. champs into top 5 automatically (why should a deserved #1 get penalized....ie Alabama play a ND and not Cinn this year. To me this year would look like (and i do this every year to test this theory):

1 ala v 8 cinn
4 tex a/m v 5 nd (or vica versa)

2 clem v 7 ore
3 ohst v 6 okla

note that this probably makes the semis turn out exactly as they would when announced today. (ala-a/m or nd, clem-ohst). what it does is gives tex a/m and n dame the ability to settle the #4 on the field and gives cinn a shot. lastly, as i've said for years, every p5 conf champ also deserves a shot.

this is simple. i think they'll get there soon...covid may have helped push this along. if it does, cheers to covid!

mooch, out.

This is a sport, not a pageant. Need to eliminate subjective rankings.

8 Div 1 FBS conferences, 16 teams per conference, 8 team champion only playoff
This, but 12 team conferences. Round robin in conference for 11 games, one OOC game that doesn't count towards conference championship. Play a patsy or a rival - no penalty for taking on a tougher OOC opponent.

There aren't more than 96 teams worthy of a playoff shot. I would bet the OOC matchups would be lit and put in prime time for mega-$s.

The train is rolling and can’t be stopped. The playoffs will go to 8 then a decade or so later to 16. Here’s why - history and money. Remember 60 years ago we had multiple National Champs named every year. Eventually the powers to be widdled down the news agencies to 2 - UPI and AP. Then the BCS was created to match 1 and 2 every year. Then a decade or so later we have the 4 team playoff. This has led to more money for everyone with more fan bases involved.

But a major repercussion that is just starting to bubble up is op outs. And opt outs will continue to grow as teams get their 2nd loss. College football’s response down the road to make more money and to address opt outs will be to expand. There is no doubt the playoff will go to 16 within the next 20 years. Just too much money to be made by keeping more fan bases and star players involved past November.

1) Bama
4) ND

2) Clemson
3) OSU

OSU at #3 is ööööing comical. CFB is broken af. “Eye test” = who churns out more TV eyeball.

1) Bama
4) ND

2) Clemson
3) OSU

OSU at #3 is ööööing comical. CFB is broken af. “Eye test” = who churns out more TV eyeball.
Exactly. OSU is only in the 4 because of their results last season which is total BS.

Also, the fact that Iowa State made a NY6 bowl and Coastal Carolina didn't is just absurd.

OSU has no business being included. They struggled with perennial powers :bfd: Indiana and Northwestern, plus only played 6 total games. This is all a popularity contest designed to make money and is completely unfair to all but the chosen few programs.

The Yellow Rose Bowl. Bitches.
Good grief. The hospitals in southern California are overrun. People are being laid out in hospital lobbies, hallways, gift shops, and even in tents outside. People are being actually turned away. And it's getting worse. People are undoubtedly dying because of the shortage of hospital beds, ICU beds, and staff. It would be unconscionable for the Rose Bowl to seat fans in this situation.

Good grief. The hospitals in southern California are overrun. People are being laid out in hospital lobbies, hallways, gift shops, and even in tents outside. People are being actually turned away. And it's getting worse. People are undoubtedly dying because of the shortage of hospital beds, ICU beds, and staff. It would be unconscionable for the Rose Bowl to seat fans in this situation.
Good grief is correct, here we go again! Can we please stop bringing this up?

1) Bama
4) ND

2) Clemson
3) OSU

If the same people who negotiate coaches contracts for GT also negotiated the ND-ACC deal this year, we will find that ND gets to keep their CFP $$$ all to themselves.

Good grief is correct, here we go again! Can we please stop bringing this up?
I think people just need to stop getting so pissy every time it does come up. It's a thing that is happening and what he said is a valid point about the move. If you guys need a safe space that badly, maybe StingTalk is not the ideal location for that.

I think people just need to stop getting so pissy every time it does come up. It's a thing that is happening and what he said is a valid point about the move. If you guys need a safe space that badly, maybe StingTalk is not the ideal location for that.
I don't need a safe space. I'm just tired of Covid being droned on and on for EVERY topic of discussion.

I hope those of you upset about Ohio State getting in will throw your support behind an expanded playoff. That is the only way the Cincinnati’s and 1990 Georgia Tech’s get an invite. I totally agree that right now it’s not a fair system. So expand it so all teams who had outstanding seasons have a shot. Sure, you’ll have several 2 loss teams get in (think UGA and OK this year) but thats the price to pay to make it fair and give the little guys a chance.

Expanding the playoffs will be the final nail in amateurism, as if it’s not already a corpse. Not really a fan of that.

Amateurism? That hasn’t been a thing since Herschel and we all know that was a long time ago. If you are really worried about amateurism regarding the playoffs you are probably the only one. Not trying to bust your chops but I haven’t heard the amateurism argument since the BCS started. The amateur sports are being gutted and cut. They can only be saved by the non-amateur sports of football and basketball. Which is another reason the playoffs will expand. Schools need the money otherwise you can say bye bye to baseball, cross country, track, volleyball, softball, etc. it’s just a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back