Calm the f*** down

veerbone

Varsity Lurker
Just chill. It was an ugly loss, but you have to remember several things:

1) VT is a legit top 5 defense this year. Alabama couldn't do anything with them either, they got whipped up front too.

2) Vad Lee is "the man" for the first time this year. Nesbitt wasn't always "4th and Nesbitt", and wasn't as much of an all-around talent as Vad. He showed his youth a little last night

3) The main problems weren't physical, they were mental. The penalties, blown assignments, missed reads, all of that was fixable. the only questionable exception was our left guard, who didn't make a backside block all night.

4) The defense is much better, but still has a ways to go. I think they will only get better.

5) GT played the worst I've ever seen them play offensively and it was still a one-possession game, that could have been won.

6) The reason we run pistol, diamond, etc. is a changeup to our base offense. Kind of like pro-style teams run shotgun and spread teams bring in extra linemen for goalline. In our system, THOSE are the ööööööös, and they don't solve the problem of getting whipped up front.

7) CPJ is more frustrated than any of us are. He will get it fixed.

I expect a rebound, and a hard-fought win at Miami.

Should I start bumping the hundreds of posts exactly like this one after a Virginia Tech game 6 years ago.

Just chill. It was an ugly loss, but you have to remember several things:

1) VT is a legit top 5 defense this year. Alabama couldn't do anything with them either, they got whipped up front too.

2) Vad Lee is "the man" for the first time this year. Nesbitt wasn't always "4th and Nesbitt", and wasn't as much of an all-around talent as Vad. He showed his youth a little last night

3) The main problems weren't physical, they were mental. The penalties, blown assignments, missed reads, all of that was fixable. the only questionable exception was our left guard, who didn't make a backside block all night.

4) The defense is much better, but still has a ways to go. I think they will only get better.

5) GT played the worst I've ever seen them play offensively and it was still a one-possession game, that could have been won.

6) The reason we run pistol, diamond, etc. is a changeup to our base offense. Kind of like pro-style teams run shotgun and spread teams bring in extra linemen for goalline. In our system, THOSE are the ööööööös, and they don't solve the problem of getting whipped up front.

7) CPJ is more frustrated than any of us are. He will get it fixed.

I expect a rebound, and a hard-fought win at Miami.

I agree with all of this (except I'm not sure we can improve enough in 10 days to beat Miami). But we absolutely need to figure out a plan B and C when the middle of the line gets destroyed. I thought that was the point of the diamond/pistol - but I suppose we had a limited game plan due to the short week. Since we have sucked at the option, CPJ probably spent all week practicing mainly that.

We ran speed option outside ONCE (from the shotgun), and with success. We ran only a few rocket tosses. Very little roll out passing. Playcalling needed more of all these elements to have a chance. CPJ needs to give his young QB a chance.

Football forum this morning has turned into one massive butthurtathon. That was an ugly performance last night, really hope things can turn back up for the next couple games.

CPJ is more frustrated than any of us are. He will get it fixed.

How much longer will that take? A few years ago it was, just wait until he brings in his type of players. I'm sick of mediocre football, we are 24-20 since 2009! We're a 8 win team at the very best this season.

1-12 vs. VT/Miami/Clemson/UGA since 2010.

Yep. Keep calm.

I believe every season we can beat those guys. then we play them. I have got to remember we are an 8 win team and will be every season here on out with CPJ. The disappointment reminds me every season. As long as he can get to 8 wins though(which he hasn't for a bit) and hype in the off-season that this will be the year, we will have him forever.

The old adage of "when the leaves start turning the option starts churning" is very true. We see it every year. For whatever reason, it takes our O about 4-5 games to get it going. I think this year is like 1989. We'll get better every game and finish the second half extremely strong. Vad has to get better with the option and he will, but it wouldn't have helped if we had Greg Hill back there last night. PJ will get it fixed and soon, he always does. Drink a beer and calm down. It'll be alright.

On the VT forum, they are saying CPJ looks like The Judge From Pink Floyd's The Wall. I don't see it tho.

VT just played a 3 OT game and then had to travel. CPJ better not use the excuse of a short week to prepare and rest.

The old adage of "when the leaves start turning the option starts churning" is very true. We see it every year. For whatever reason, it takes our O about 4-5 games to get it going. I think this year is like 1989. We'll get better every game and finish the second half extremely strong. Vad has to get better with the option and he will, but it wouldn't have helped if we had Greg Hill back there last night. PJ will get it fixed and soon, he always does. Drink a beer and calm down. It'll be alright.

He will get it "fixed" for ööööty teams like pitt, cuse, and alabama A&M which are the only remaining victories on our schedule this year.

1-12 vs. VT/Miami/Clemson/UGA since 2010.

Yep. Keep calm.

But we are the kings of n.c. :biggthumpup:

And, referring to a different post, in 1989 we had CBR - the very BEST coach GT football ever had. And Shawn Jones who was given things to do he could do, and an O line taught to block - not flop down in the dirt. And - well everyone knows the rest.

He will get it "fixed" for ööööty teams like pitt, cuse, and alabama A&M which are the only remaining victories on our schedule this year.
Hey, if he doesn't, I'm all for getting the band back together....O'Leary, Fridge, and Roof.

When have we gotten better as the season progressed? We've always loaded our schedule with cupcakes in the early part of the season and played the hard games at the end (USC wasn't a hard game last year). Generally, we lose a lot of our second half games.

Should I start bumping the hundreds of posts exactly like this one after a Virginia Tech game 6 years ago.

Just bump last year's. We lost to both VT and Miami last year and still made the CCG.

Back