Calvin Johnson... mediocre pro.

LOL wow this thread is hilarious. If calvin was on a half decent team that would actually throw him the ball, he would be a top 5 receiver in the league easily.

T.O. was thrown the ball 11 times today. He caught it 3 times. Chad Ochocinco was thrown the ball 9 times today. He also only caught it 3 times. Even 'Elite' receivers don't catch the ball every-time.

Honest question, if he apparently has the same physicality as Randy Moss (speed, height, quickness, etc.), why would Randy Moss get separation and not Calvin? Are his route-running skills poor enough as to give away his route to the CB's too soon and allow the CB's to play with more of a cushion, since they have more time to react? Or are his physical qualities just overrated?

I'm honestly wondering what the answer is, not just the fact that he's been mediocre.

LOL wow this thread is hilarious. If calvin was on a half decent team that would actually throw him the ball, he would be a top 5 receiver in the league easily.

At one point in the game today, he had 9 balls thrown to him and had only caught two. That's pretty typical. Glad he got a TD late. Hopefully Stafford will heal fast and get him the ball more.

BOR can find nothing negative to say from a great day of college ball, so he criticizes our players-turned-pro.

You have no idea what you are talking about do you? 2008- Calvin lead lead along with Fitzgerald in touchdowns and was 5th in receiving yards... ( you are wrong)

2009- he fought some nagging injuries and a rookie quarterback and was still a very good receiver...

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you?

You have no idea what you are talking about do you? 2008- Calvin lead lead along with Fitzgerald in touchdowns and was 5th in receiving yards... ( you are wrong)

2009- he fought some nagging injuries and a rookie quarterback and was still a very good receiver...

You really have no idea what you are talking about do you?

Nahh... I just think the guy is underperforming for someone who by all means is the most physically superior, athletic WR in the NFL.

He led the league in yards per catch, but he really didn't play a good game today inspite of the TD catch. He looked lackadaisical out there. Not the first time I've seen it.

Nahh... I just think the guy is underperforming for someone who by all means is the most physically superior, athletic WR in the NFL.

underperforming :laugher: did you not read his 2008 stats? haha

and in 2009 still managed to put up good numbers despite having injuries and a ROOKIE quarterback.

I'm also pissed because in the last two fantasy drafts I've taken him WAY too early. Guy wasn't anywhere near a top 20 selection either this year or last.

underperforming :laugher: did you not read his 2008 stats? haha

and in 2009 still managed to put up good numbers despite having injuries and a ROOKIE quarterback.

Yeah, 78 catches as a career high in 3 years for a guy who is supposed to be a top 3 WR sucks ass. You need to know what your talking about. The 12 TD's were his saving grace.

Bottom line is Calvin has had one decent year sandwiched in between disappointment.

So he's not a great fantasy pick..... oh darn. He's still a great receiver.

Yeah, 78 catches as a career high in 3 years for a guy who is supposed to be a top 3 WR sucks ass. You need to know what your talking about. The 12 TD's were his saving grace.

Bottom line is Calvin has had one decent year sandwhiched in between disappointment.

Its easy to just google numbers and try to argue based on that. You have to look at the big picture... does it really matter that he only had 78 receptions that year? No, because he was in the top 5 in receiving yards and led in touchdowns.

And as everybody has said... ITS THE DETROIT LIONS. He is there only weapon, so he basically is double teamed and has a safety over the top on every play. Know what you are arguing about instead of living in an imaginary world of fantasy numbers.

Honest question, if he apparently has the same physicality as Randy Moss (speed, height, quickness, etc.), why would Randy Moss get separation and not Calvin? Are his route-running skills poor enough as to give away his route to the CB's too soon and allow the CB's to play with more of a cushion, since they have more time to react? Or are his physical qualities just overrated?

I'm honestly wondering what the answer is, not just the fact that he's been mediocre.

Randy Moss plays with Tom Brady and Wes Welker

So he's not a great fantasy pick..... oh darn. He's still a great receiver.

I think we all know that he has the talent and potential to be great. But he hasn't done it yet. In fact with the exception of a very good season in 2008, he hasn't even come close to great. Great WR in the league regularly catch near and over 100 passes a year. At his current pace, he is going to turn in another stellar 64 catch season.

I think we all know that he has the talent and potential to be great. But he hasn't done it yet. In fact with the exception of a very good season in 2008, he hasn't even come close to great. Great WR in the league regularly catch near and over 100 passes a year. At his current pace, he is going to turn in another stellar 64 catch season.
nice lookup on the espn projected numbers:laugher:

quit living in an imaginary world and actually watch and UNDERSTAND football.

Its easy to just google numbers and try to argue based on that. You have to look at the big picture... does it really matter that he only had 78 receptions that year? No, because he was in the top 5 in receiving yards and led in touchdowns.

And as everybody has said... ITS THE DETROIT LIONS. He is there only weapon, so he basically is double teamed and has a safety over the top on every play. Know what you are arguing about instead of living in an imaginary world of fantasy numbers.

Let me ask you a serious question. DO you watcht he Detroit Lions? I have watched at least 45 Detroit games in the last 3 seasons.

I ask this because Detroit has other weapons. They have one of the deeper backfields in the NFL. Jahvid Best had an unbelievable day. Morris is a serviceable number two, and this doesn't even take into consideration Kevin Smith who has been injured. Not to mention they got Brandon Pettigrew who is one of the most talented young TE's in the league. Add a healthy Stafford to this and hopefully things will get better, but he's been around for a year and Calvin is looking worse than in 2008.

Back