Calvin Johnson... mediocre pro.

I agree with this. But Detroit is building a serious winner. They got talent all over the place now. Good stable of RB's, Stafford if he's healthy, Pettigrew, a revamped DLine with Suh. They have made some good offseason moves.

If Calvin doesn't do it with Detroit, where is he? Since Detroit has improved their roster over the course of over a year, Calvin's production has gone way down.

Calvin may just have a losing attitude right now. I haven't watched him play much; but even with his physical gifts if he isn't going all out he isn't going to show up as the superstar that meets everyone's expectations. Fact is, CJ can play giving 90% effort and make most NFL rosters. It has got to be tough to give it your all when up til now giving it your all means your team gets the first draft pick and your team is the 'Duke' of the NFL.

Think of the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year. Tech needed a catch.

Would you really rather not have had CJ out there to try to catch a ball and beat Georgie?

I would rather have CJ on one side and Thomas on the other, with Charlie Rogers as an A-back.

I agree with BOR. Calvin Johnson ****ing sucks. He couldn't do **** against Wake Forest or UGA. He is obviously overrated. Calvin ruined Reggie Ball's career and got Chan fired. Good call BOR. **** you Calvin. :mad:

Another analysis!!!

First, some fans have the false assumption that their hero is the greatest player ever because he came from their school! This is Stingtalk's "Kool Ade" term. It is appropriate for many fans.

Secondly, Calvin Johnson's performance in the statistical analyses does not back up the claim of his greatness by his admirers. It appears his learning curve is in slow motion.

Thirdly, it makes a huge difference that a player is coached by someone who knows his strong and weak points, maximizes his strong points, and minimizes his weak points with the way he is used in a game. It is highly possible (Team has not done well in recent years) that Calvin is not getting the best training from his coaches and is not on a team that can maximize his talents.

Sometimes a player is released from one team, picked up by another, and becomes an ace on that team. I would say at this point in time that the book is still out on Calvin and time will tell. It is also true his development in the pro ranks has been hampered somewhat by injuries.

Father Time

I agree with this. But Detroit is building a serious winner. They got talent all over the place now. Good stable of RB's, Stafford if he's healthy, Pettigrew, a revamped DLine with Suh. They have made some good offseason moves.

If Calvin doesn't do it with Detroit, where is he? Since Detroit has improved their roster over the course of over a year, Calvin's production has gone way down.

Um, please back away from the keyboard ... slowly. :ugh:

Um, please back away from the keyboard ... slowly. :ugh:

They made some great offseason moves and they have rocked the draft the last 2 years. All of their talent is young, but if you think I'm an idiot, then you don't pay attention to the NFL, much less the Detroit Lions.

lol@ BOR whining like a vagina because someone else is beating him in fantasy today and the other person's WRs had better production than Calvin did.

I won my fantasy league in 2008 by taking Calvin. You're nuts. Go whine elsewhere.

I haven't checked and may be wrong, but I don't think Detroit has paid much attention to the OL since Calvin was drafted. I think they were close to first in the league for sacks given up the last two years.

Congrats on them building a D-Line - it did great against Philly today. :ugh:

Their D-line ain't blocking for Calvin anyways. The bottom line is detroit is a really, really bad football program. You can't judge somebody by their time in Detroit.

BoR has been pissing me off a lot lately. He was funny for a while, but now he's just coming off as a terrible troll/bitch.

lol@ BOR whining like a vagina because someone else is beating him in fantasy today and the other person's WRs had better production than Calvin did.

Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that thought this.

I don't think BOR is far off base at all. I certainly don't think Johnson is "mediocre" - but he has been a bit of a disappointment.

First of all - I imagine very few of watch as many Lion games as he.

While Calvin has had some measure of success - and we can all make a hundred excuses why he suffers in Detroit (what is Hill - his 9th QB now???) - he is MEGATRON and because of his physical attributes he should simply be doing better.

He should occasionally have 200-yard / 3-TD type games. Why not?

Someone needs to bitch-slap him or something.

Maybe Calvin's just trying to make sure Detroit doesn't franchise him. Hehe.

Why do you think I watch Detroit games? I want to see Calvin doing well. From someone who is watching him play, he isn't living up to expectations. Even the announcers were calling him out. Sorry for pissing in your cereal with some of yalls love affair with Calvin. I'm just telling you for every great catch Calvin makes, there are 7 more lackluster efforts. Today he couldn't shed a DB to save his life for 3 quarters.

Really, are we going to sit here and rip on Calvin Johnson? How many receivers have gone to Detroit and completely not performed at all. He also has no offensive help accompanied by inconsistent and underwhelming QB play. He's also dealt with injuries his last two seasons.

There was the year he played over half the season medicated. "I was on meds the rest of the season," he said. "I was taking Vicodin twice a game just to get through the game. I stayed hurt the whole season, probably because I was trying to come back too soon."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Johnson_(American_football)#cite_note-47 I remember watching him on Thanksgiving last year when he could barely walk and was still having a decent game.

Does his production match his potential, that is a resounding no. But there are plenty of reasons for this:

injuries
having 5-6 different QB's throwing to him in 4 years
no other offensive weapons to keep defenses from keying on him
lack of motivation (he's stuck in Detroit, who will are perennial bottom dwellers)
Detroit has a history of destroying the careers of highly talented WR's

I have only seen him play about 10 games in his career, and most of the games I've seen the defense almost always has safety help over the top and the QB will go for entire quarters without ever even looking his way.

Why do you think I watch Detroit games? I want to see Calvin doing well. From someone who is watching him play, he isn't living up to expectations. Even the announcers were calling him out. Sorry for pissing in your cereal with some of yalls love affair with Calvin. I'm just telling you for every great catch Calvin makes, there are 7 more lackluster efforts. Today he couldn't shed a DB to save his life for 3 quarters.

Might be time to get a refill on the blue happy pills.

I'll focus my hate on something we can all agree on....

Chan Gailey sucked it up again today.

Back