Calvin Johnson... mediocre pro.

BOR, I totally agree with you. Calvin has underperformed as a #2 overall pick in the draft. He can't get separation from CBs.

nice lookup on the espn projected numbers:laugher:

quit living in an imaginary world and actually watch and UNDERSTAND football.
Actually I base that on the fact that he has had 8 catches in two games. Multiplication dumbass.

Nahh... I just think the guy is underperforming for someone who by all means is the most physically superior, athletic WR in the NFL.

So you could have titled the thread: "Calvin Johnson... under-performing pro" but instead you wanted to make a splash and be troll-tastic. Got it.

So you could have titled the thread: "Calvin Johnson... under-performing pro" but instead you wanted to make a splash and be troll-tastic. Got it.

Because his stats are mediocre for a guy who is a top 5 WR and watching him today it was disappointing as he doesn't get any seperation from the Corners.

Randy Moss plays with Tom Brady and Wes Welker

Let's compare him to Moss (in Oakland, of course)

2005 (Kerry Collins, QB): 60 Rec 1005 Yds 8 TDs
2006 (Andrew Walter/Aaron Brooks) 42 Rec 553 Yds 3 TDs

Now CJ

2007 (Rookie, Jon Kitna) 48 Rec 756 Yds 4 TDs
2008 (Orlovsky, Culpepper, Kitna) 78 Rec 1331 Yds 12 TDs

See what Fitzgerald does this season. You need a QB to put up numbers. If you don't, they can pressure the QB and no one does well in the entire offense.

I think we all know that he has the talent and potential to be great. But he hasn't done it yet. In fact with the exception of a very good season in 2008, he hasn't even come close to great. Great WR in the league regularly catch near and over 100 passes a year. At his current pace, he is going to turn in another stellar 64 catch season.

Randy Moss is a great receiver. He has played 12 years prior to this year, averaging 77 catches per season. He has caught 100+ passes TWICE. He has played all 16 games for all but 2 seasons (in which he played 13 games apiece). He had 226 catches in his first 3 years - over 48 games. Calvin has 201 catches over his first 47 games played...so not as good of a start as one of the best receivers ever who had a better QB throwing to him and a HOFer on the opposite side of him receiving attention from the defense.

Terrell Owens has caught 100 passes once in his career, and put up relatively pedestrian stats over his first four years in the league.

I agree that Calvin's performance has not matched his physical ability up to this point, but it's not going to happen until he has a QB throwing to him who is consistently accurate and consistently healthy. It may never happen in Detroit. The best thing that could happen for him would be that Detroit feels like he's been a bust and trades him while his value is high.

Calvin just ran a crappy route short of the marker and almost dropped the ball. Announcers are both ragging him now.

Dude! What are you doing? You're not supposed to say anything bad about GT on this board now. it's been overrun by Hivers. Watch out.

Randy Moss has also 6 times in his career scored more TD's than Calvin has in his best year and two other times was one TD shy of tying Calvin's best year. And lets not forget he had a mixture of QB's in Minnesota from Brad Johnson, Randall Cuningham, Jeff George, and Daunte Culpepper.

Randy Moss has 6 years better than Calvin's best in terms of TDs...okay. Calvin hasn't even played 6 years. He only has six years of experience college & NFL combined. That should put things in perspective.

I agree that Calvin's performance has not matched his physical ability up to this point, but it's not going to happen until he has a QB throwing to him who is consistently accurate and consistently healthy.

I agree with this. But Detroit is building a serious winner. They got talent all over the place now. Good stable of RB's, Stafford if he's healthy, Pettigrew, a revamped DLine with Suh. They have made some good offseason moves.

If Calvin doesn't do it with Detroit, where is he? Since Detroit has improved their roster over the course of over a year, Calvin's production has gone way down.

Randy Moss has also 6 times in his career scored more TD's than Calvin has in his best year and two other times was one TD shy of tying Calvin's best year. And lets not forget he had a mixture of QB's in Minnesota from Brad Johnson, Randall Cuningham, Jeff George, and Daunte Culpepper.

Alright let's compare CJ's best pro year against his best year at Tech.

2008 78 Rec 1331 Yds 17.1 Ave. 12 Tds
2006 76 Rec 1202 Yds 15.8 Ave. 15 Tds

Sure you can bring up the 2 game NFL vs. NCAA difference, but by your logic, CJ mediocre as a pro means his best year at Tech was mediocre as well. Those numbers suggest he is a victim of poor QB work (whether it is Dan Orlovsky, Jon Kitna or even Reggie Ball.)

Dude! What are you doing? You're not supposed to say anything bad about GT on this board now. it's been overrun by Hivers. Watch out.

You better watch out, you only get one more post this month! You better make it a good one.

Don't look now. Demaryious Thomas has 7 catches for 76 yards in his debut and he's not even out of the 3rd quarter. Orten is throwing the ball.

Calvin should be making any QB look good. He's not.

I heard Calvin is quintuple-teamed eon every pass play.

I wouldn't know since Detroit is never on TV outside of Detroit. Yet, I get to watch plenty of Purdue or Northwestern games here in New Jersey.

I know I am going to get shot down here but I think he is the most overated receiver in college. I have been watching Ga tech football since 1973 and I can name at least 10 Ga tech receivers I would rather have on the field with the game on the line

I know I am going to get shot down here but I think he is the most overated receiver in college. I have been watching Ga tech football since 1973 and I can name at least 10 Ga tech receivers I would rather have on the field with the game on the line

Alright, name them.

Look, folks. He plays for Detroit. Put him on almost any other team and he's all pro and working on a HOF career. If he were with the Colts, Patriots, Saints, Falcons, etc.... he would be unbelievable. As to the guy who thinks there have been 10 better receivers at GT, put them with Reggie Ball and Chan Gailey and see if they do better.

Ten better Tech receivers since 1973

Jimmie Robinson
Steve Raible
Drew Hill
Gary Lee
Emment Merchant
Bobby Rodriquez
Dez white
Charlie Rogers
Kelly Cambell
Kerry Watkins
Harvey Middleton
Bay Bay thomas

these guys all beat Georgia

Ten better Tech receivers since 1973

Jimmie Robinson
Steve Raible
Drew Hill
Gary Lee
Emment Merchant
Bobby Rodriquez
Dez white
Charlie Rogers
Kelly Cambell
Kerry Watkins
Harvey Middleton
Bay Bay thomas

these guys all beat Georgia
Think of the Saturday after Thanksgiving last year. Tech needed a catch.

Would you really rather not have had CJ out there to try to catch a ball and beat Georgie?

Back