Campus is pretty dead

Look, I'm an architect

crayon-childlike-hand-drawn-picture-house-13184943.jpg

WAR. :hsugh:

You must've gone to SCAD.

The ticketing system was really an issue when I was a student ('09 in particular). The system they had was awful and the lines for the South endzone would stretch down Techwood almost to the Edge Center. We got to the Wake Forest game that year a solid 30 minutes before kickoff and didn't actually get to our seats until halfway through the 1st quarter.

The line was an hour plus then, and was over 45 minutes for every other home game (except UGA, no idea how bad it was that game because I got there 2 hours before kickoff).

Can't speak for it now because I have season tix, but it was definitely bad several years ago.

The issue is (as others here have stated) that 75%+ of the students don't care about football (whether it's because they are anti-social, don't like football, are nerds, are foreigners, or are too busy getting drunk at frats/sororities to get their ass to the game). That number probably drops to 50% if we are having a good year, but generally we struggle with student support for those reasons.

Maybe I'm a ööööö, you guys are right. I can't physically get up in time to get to noon games sometimes. I'll do better when I get out of here.

LOL @ you feeling the need to explain yourself to these folks. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Attendance will always be an issue unless....

...ready for it...

....We keep winning an become a national powerhouse.

That's it. Blame it on whatever you want but when your student body has varied interests and is located in a metropolis instead of College Town, USA... you have these problems.

FTFY. But please... tell me more about your credentials as a student in this argument. I walk with my third degree in December after a decade of sports highs and lows on campus; I could clearly use an explanation of the student experience.

"Around 50–55% of all Georgia Tech students are residents of the state of Georgia, around 20% come from overseas, and 25–30% are residents of other U.S. states or territories. The top states of origin for all non-Georgia US students are Florida, Texas, Virginia, Tennessee, New York, South Carolina, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and California.[84] Students at Tech represent 111 countries and all 50 states.[78] 30% of the Fall 2010 incoming Freshman class come from other states and 9% come from overseas. 24% come from Asian backgrounds, 5% are African American, 7% are Hispanic, and 3% are multi-racial."

That was from 2010. Also found that 30% of the incoming freshman class are Asian. Not that it's any problem, but you can make a strong argument that *most of those kids don't really care about our football program. All that time here I thought you'd be a little bit better at researching.

i thought this thread was about Craig James and his penchant for non-living ladies of the night

Dear fellow white men,

I know it is an esteemed historical tradition among our culture, but it's probably time we stop blaming the minorities for all our problems.

Sincerely, TIA.

That was from 2010. Also found that 30% of the incoming freshman class are Asian. Not that it's any problem, but you can make a strong argument that *most of those kids don't really care about our football program. All that time here I thought you'd be a little bit better at researching.

Here's another lesson, junior: don't rely on Wikipedia to do the research for you. Take a look at the actual fall enrollment numbers from 2012:

http://factbook.gatech.edu/admissio...ss-enrollment-by-gender-ethnicity-table-4-18/

Also notice that this is the same link I provided before you did a little lazy research.

<20% of incoming student are Asian, and an <10% are international. Clearly graduate numbers skew the percentages a little; at the same time, I don't think anyone here is arguing that graduate student support defines a fan base.

I think low football attendance is due to a combination of the factors discussed:
- Relatively small enrollment
- Nerd students
- Foreign students

I don't buy the "probably weren't fans of Tech before coming to Tech" factor though. Everyone I knew at Tech who grew up liking another team went to Tech games. They just became dual fans.

Here's another lesson, junior: don't rely on Wikipedia to do the research for you. Take a look at the actual fall enrollment numbers from 2012:

http://factbook.gatech.edu/admissio...ss-enrollment-by-gender-ethnicity-table-4-18/

Also notice that this is the same link I provided before you did a little lazy research.

<20% of incoming student are Asian, and an <10% are international. Clearly graduate numbers skew the percentages a little; at the same time, I don't think anyone here is arguing that graduate student support defines a fan base.

sooo you proved me right?...

sooo you proved me right?...

Not without considering all international students to be of Asian origin, no. Chinese, Indian, and Korean students make up 69% of the international enrollment:

http://factbook.gatech.edu/admissions-and-enrollment/enrollment-by-country-table-4-11/

At this point, we're quibbling over about 7% of the undergraduate population when talking about students of Asian decent either foreign or domestic, rounding considerations removed.

In either case, blaming attendance on "anyone of Asian descent not liking football" is still fairly ignorant given the overall student body composition.

Not without considering all international students to be of Asian origin, no. Chinese, Indian, and Korean students make up 69% of the international enrollment:

http://factbook.gatech.edu/admissions-and-enrollment/enrollment-by-country-table-4-11/

At this point, we're quibbling over about 7% of the undergraduate population when talking about students of Asian decent either foreign or domestic, rounding considerations removed.

In either case, blaming attendance on "anyone of Asian descent not liking football" is still fairly ignorant given the overall student body composition.

if we actually go back to my original post you notice that i said it was a combo of nerds and foreigners. please continue to make me seem like im blaming the plight of georgia tech football attendance solely on the asian race.

if we actually go back to my original post you notice that i said it was a combo of nerds and foreigners. please continue to make me seem like im blaming the plight of georgia tech football attendance solely on the asian race.

I thought all Asians were nerds? Am I doing this right?

I think this is the biggest part of it. I didn't see any issues with student attendance and campus excitement in the back half of 2008 and all of 2009.

That's when they went all Gestapo on bringing in booze. It's clearly the frat blocks which are empty during these less desirable games. At least this was my understanding a couple of years ago.

Student lines at the gate by the north endzone are also always the longest. It's the only gate that takes student tickets.

The worst performance since 2009 has probably also had an effect, but not in the way you guys mean. Worse performance means more nooner games. And if you didn't have trouble waking up by noon on Saturday, then I don't know if you really went to college.

1 Maybe I'm off base here, but I considered everyone at tech to be a nerd. Sure, there were some "frat bros" in denial, but that whole being at the one of the best engineering schools in the country seemed to pretty much confirm it for me.

Seems like a better point of distinction is necessary.

2 I think you can make the case the foreign students don't help attendance as it's a bit of a culture change, but placing a significant amount of blame on that group seems incorrect. The general student seating seems to mimic the student block seating rather well. Also as another poster pointed out, even alabama, which seems to lack nerds and foreigners, is having issues with attendance.

3 It's always about craig james and his penchant for non-living night ladies

Last edited:
That's when they went all Gestapo on bringing in booze. It's clearly the frat blocks which are empty during these less desirable games. At least this was my understanding a couple of years ago.

Student lines at the gate by the north endzone are also always the longest. It's the only gate that takes student tickets.

I go in the north entrance every time, hiding booze, and have had zero trouble or wait getting in. It's really easy for everyone to blame the fraternities, but I'd honestly say we're the ones who care most on campus, and most likely to travel. Take a look at the south end zone, that section is always a ghost town. The problems we face with attendance are terrible game times, not excitable opponents, and a relevant portion of the student body could care less about football.

I go in the north entrance every time, hiding booze, and have had zero trouble or wait getting in. It's really easy for everyone to blame the fraternities, but I'd honestly say we're the ones who care most on campus, and most likely to travel. Take a look at the south end zone, that section is always a ghost town. The problems we face with attendance are terrible game times, not excitable opponents, and a relevant portion of the student body could care less about football.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. It's good you support the team well so don't take offense, but the south fills up faster and stays later. Being in the North end zone, I don't think you really see how empty and sad the North end zone looks.

Back