Can we please stop with the "Tech to the Big 10" stuff

BerryGT

Jolly Good Fellow
We will not be going to the Big 10. If the Big 10 asks, don't you think DRad is calling up Birmingham and making sure they know the Yankees are trying to invade Atlanta again. Do you think the SEC is gonna let the Big 10 setup shop in the city of their championship game? The SEC will make a deal with DRad to invite us if we don't go to the Big 10 in order to keep them out of SEC territory. And this is if we even get offered by the Big 10.

You can't spell BiG Ten without GT

I agree. But what if the big 10 pays $10 mill more per yr than the sec and invites 6 Southern teams?

I agree. But what if the big 10 pays $10 mill more per yr than the sec and invites 6 Southern teams?

They've flirted with Missouri the Big East schools way too much for that to happen. They might want us and Vandy but that's it. And that wouldn't be reason enough to go. I'm sure you can come up with far fetched scenarios where we would go to the Big 10 but in all the likely scenarios I've read, there is no way the SEC would let us get away. And for us, going to the SEC, means more than just the black and white TV dollars. It means a giant increase in fan interest

Maybe you could start a few more threads to convince people to stop talking about it.

They've flirted with Missouri the Big East schools way too much for that to happen. They might want us and Vandy but that's it. And that wouldn't be reason enough to go. I'm sure you can come up with far fetched scenarios where we would go to the Big 10 but in all the likely scenarios I've read, there is no way the SEC would let us get away. And for us, going to the SEC, means more than just the black and white TV dollars. It means a giant increase in fan interest

From another thread:

<<A 20-team Big Ten? Really?

Writing in the Huntington Herald-Dispatch, Chuck Landon states that expansion could commence in earnest in August -- even as commissioner Jim Delany has repeatedly stated there's been no acceleration to last December's 12-18 month timeline -- and that the Big Ten could leap well past the 14 or 16 schools that have been the center of discussion and [into the virgin territory of a 20-team league] ... [http://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/x1860200381/Conference-shakeup-not-looking-good-for-Marshall]

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...ig-ten-really/ >>

From today's lunch bunch...a thread on it over at the HIVE

Wes Durham was the speaker. Here is a one sentence recap.

"He did say he knew one conference we will NOT be getting an invitation to, and that's the SEC."

Y'all can forget the SEC.

Wes also thinks the Big 10 is a possibility.

Ok, that's fine guys, I'm not trying to get anybody to stop talking about expansion. I actually think it's quite interesting. Just trying to point out something that I hadn't heard anybody say. That's fine if you think a writer in West Virginia actually has credibility on what the Big 10 will do. I may be proven wrong, I just think there is no way we wind up in the Big 10.

Ok, that's fine guys, I'm not trying to get anybody to stop talking about expansion. I actually think it's quite interesting. Just trying to point out something that I hadn't heard anybody say. That's fine if you think a writer in West Virginia actually has credibility on what the Big 10 will do. I may be proven wrong, I just think there is no way we wind up in the Big 10.

Jesus F. Christ, no one took that article seriously. You have as much credibility as a writer in WVU. That burn goes both ways.

Can we please stop with the "Tech to the Big 10" stuff

No --because this could potentially be BIG. I suggest you go tell Ten (or 11) of your friends about this.

Jesus F. Christ, no one took that article seriously. You have as much credibility as a writer in WVU. That burn goes both ways.

Dude, the guy quoted it as a response, so yes someone did take it seriously.

I guess the thought that the SEC isn't gonna let the Big 10 grab a team in SEC territory is more far fetched than Tech to the Big 10. My apologies.

"He did say he knew one conference we will NOT be getting an invitation to, and that's the SEC."

Fine with me

Fine with me

This gives us leverage. If we want GT to go to the SEC you tell the Governor (ala Virginia Virginia Tech) that we will drop the UGA series if we are not supported (to a fault) by UGA and granted admission into the SEC. If they do we are in a football powerhouse conference, if they don't we are in a different football powerhouse conference where we will make more $$$ and we never have to look at those SOB's again.

Sounds to me like a smoke-screen "plausible deniability" answer to deflect attention away from us going to the SEC. :fingersx:

This gives us leverage. If we want GT to go to the SEC you tell the Governor (ala Virginia Virginia Tech) that we will drop the UGA series if we are not supported (to a fault) by UGA and granted admission into the SEC. If they do we are in a football powerhouse conference, if they don't we are in a different football powerhouse conference where we will make more $$$ and we never have to look at those SOB's again.

This. We make 50% more than they do each year and plant a stake for another power conference right in the heart of the SEC, while telling UGAg to kiss off.

That's what I'm talking about! Bring on the Big TenOrMore!

Whether we go or not, it is in our interest to be mentioned as a candidate. It helps our negotiating power with the ACC itself and with the SEC if that is a possibility.

The teams that have been mentioned predominantly for Big Ten expansion don't seem to help them extend their market much. Poaching into SEC territory could help them a lot.

If all this expansion talk persists, the logical thing to me is for the conferences to quit poaching teams and band together. If the Big Ten and Big 12 merged and the SEC and ACC did the same, then all four conferences could claim "wins".

The best thing to me is this:

Vince Dooley and the UGAg President were absolutely trying to extinguish the GA Tech football program in 1978 by not voting to allow us back into the SEC under Bear Bryant's sponsorship, when we were virtually bankrupt. It was all about recruiting and money to him and he wanted us dead.

It is the utter irony, should it work out this way, is that the TV money he and Switzer "won" in that joint lawsuit back in 1985 would ultimately allow GA Tech in 2010 to make $7M per year more than the best SEC contract in history will offer, while at the same time giving the biggest and now best conference in college football a strong recruiting foothold in his very own back yard. And that he would live to see it become a reality.... heh... what does Bond say... "revenge is best served cold?"

And to top it off, we can just tell them to kiss off and cancel the series.

This makes me want to go Big TenOrMore very badly. Now I need to go repent of my baser thoughts.

Back