Can we please stop with the "Tech to the Big 10" stuff

The best thing to me is this:

Vince Dooley and the UGAg President were absolutely trying to extinguish the GA Tech football program in 1978 by not voting to allow us back into the SEC under Bear Bryant's sponsorship, when we were virtually bankrupt. It was all about recruiting and money to him and he wanted us dead.

It is the utter irony, should it work out this way, is that the TV money he and Switzer "won" in that joint lawsuit back in 1985 would ultimately allow GA Tech in 2010 to make $7M per year more than the best SEC contract in history will offer, while at the same time giving the biggest and now best conference in college football a strong recruiting foothold in his very own back yard. And that he would live to see it become a reality.... heh... what does Bond say... "revenge is best served cold?"

And to top it off, we can just tell them to kiss off and cancel the series.

This makes me want to go Big TenOrMore very badly. Now I need to go repent of my baser thoughts.

This

Whether we go or not, it is in our interest to be mentioned as a candidate. It helps our negotiating power with the ACC itself and with the SEC if that is a possibility.

The teams that have been mentioned predominantly for Big Ten expansion don't seem to help them extend their market much. Poaching into SEC territory could help them a lot.

If all this expansion talk persists, the logical thing to me is for the conferences to quit poaching teams and band together. If the Big Ten and Big 12 merged and the SEC and ACC did the same, then all four conferences could claim "wins".

Agree with the first part. That's kind of my point. Us being mentioned as a Big 10 possibility makes us more attractive to the SEC.

Disagree that the other teams being mentioned as future Big 10 members don't bring TV markets. Missouri gets them St. Louis and Kansas City, Rutgers or Syracuse gets them NYC, Pitt gets them Pittsburgh but certainly Vandy in Nashville, Tech in Atlanta, and Maryland with Baltimore and DC also being mentioned is for a reason, expanding footprint and markets. If the SEC is okay with letting the Big 10, on top of the ACC, chip away at it by being in their territory then okay, but the SEC (while on top now), might not like the landscape in 15 years. My guess is Slive isn't THAT arrogant to think they'll always be on top cause of their name.

http://www.mrsec.com/story/report-sec-already-eyeing-six-teams-for-possible-expansion

This report has a source to back up a commonly put forth idea that the SEC would go after Texas, A&M, FSU, and Clemson with Tech and Miami as backup if the Texas schools turn them down. This would both expand the conference and solidify it's current territory. I could easily see Tech getting the nod over Clemson for the reason I put forth above. The Big 10 ain't knocking at the door of Clemson.

Disagree that the other teams being mentioned as future Big 10 members don't bring TV markets. Missouri gets them St. Louis and Kansas City, Rutgers or Syracuse gets them NYC, Pitt gets them Pittsburgh but certainly Vandy in Nashville, Tech in Atlanta, and Maryland with Baltimore and DC also being mentioned is for a reason, expanding footprint and markets.

http://www.stationindex.com/tv/tv-markets

Atlanta would be the best market they could reasonably add that they don't already have, and it would automatically become their 3rd largest, unless they add NY, and then it would be their 4th.

Atlanta is the 8th largest market, St.Louis is the 21st and Pittsburgh is the 23rd.

If the SEC is okay with letting the Big 10, on top of the ACC, chip away at it by being in their territory then okay, but the SEC (while on top now), might not like the landscape in 15 years. My guess is Slive isn't THAT arrogant to think they'll always be on top cause of their name.

They absolutely won't be OK with it, but there won't be much they can do about it.

Atlanta would be the best market they could reasonably add that they don't already have, and it would automatically become their 3rd largest, unless they add NY, and then it would be their 4th.

Atlanta is the 8th largest market, St.Louis is the 21st and Pittsburgh is the 23rd.

They absolutely won't be OK with it, but there won't be much they can do about it.

They could invite us. Which do you think DRad would choose? Imagine explaining that one to fans.

About time there was more excitement on the Big Ten talk. Thanks Wes.

The NFL does just fine with rivalries spread distances apart. We'd do just fine too.

Positives for Football, swimming, volleyball, softball.
Negatives for baseball, track.
Slight negative for men's basketball and golf (there is only one ACC tournament after all).
No change for tennis.

Big positive for MONEY.

I'm not sure what your point is with the market stuff. We both agree that Atlanta is a huge market get for the Big 10. That's my point. The bigger value we are for the Big 10, the more likely we get an offer, which means the more likely we get an SEC offer(my point). If you think we'll choose the Big 10 (more TV money, more logistics problems, no rivalries) over the SEC (less TV money, easy logistics, great rivalries) then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

The best thing about big stories is that it brings out all my favorite kinds of stupid posts. Not talking about any in particular. ..yet.

About time there was more excitement on the Big Ten talk. Thanks Wes.

The NFL does just fine with rivalries spread distances apart. We'd do just fine too.

Positives for Football, swimming, volleyball, softball.
Negatives for baseball, track.
Slight negative for men's basketball and golf (there is only one ACC tournament after all).
No change for tennis.

Big positive for MONEY.

There are lots of positives to the Big Televen, and I'd be all for it. However, I wouldn't say it's positive for softball. Only three Big Televen teams made the field of 64. The only positive moves for softball would be to the Pac-10, Big XII, or SEC.

Somehow they also make more money if the cable company is in the same state as a BigInteger school (80 cents per subscriber) and only 5 cents per subscriber in non-BigInteger states (according to my current link below -- but I have heard non-BigInteger states are 30 cents per subscriber). So adding Rutgers would change the NJ market to 80 cents per subscriber -- as would adding Tech. That is some major difference in money.

http://www.projo.com/pc/content/Big_East_Big_Ten_Friars_McNamara_05-16-10_GQI_v2.838c163.html

The network won’t say how much it receives from cable companies, but analysts say it pockets about 80 cents per subscriber in Big Ten states and about a nickel per subscriber in other markets.

I swing back and forth on the issue. One side, I'd like for the ACC to pull its self up by the bootstaps and become a better conference. On the other hand, I look at the $22 million per year the Big Ten pays and think "My Gawd, what would that kind of jack do for GT athletics?". I can see why Missouri is trying its best to latch on, but we have so much more to offer than Missouri. We offer a head to head showdown with the SEC on their turf. The Big Ten can drive a spike into the SEC by adding us - I just don't feel any other school offers that to the Big Ten - not UNC, Clemson, Vandy, FSU, Miami.

I also realize that that $22 million is just a starting point. That by the end of the SEC contract, SEC teams may be getting $20 million to $25 million per year while the Big Ten likely will be getting $35 million to $40 million per team per year.

Bottom line, I think the Big Ten would be much better for our bottom line than the SEC would. Itd be terrible for baseball, basketball would remain about the same.

Can we please stop talking about football? Can we please stop it? I'm tired of discussing Georgia Tech football. Can't we all just take a big long boring ass break until the games start. You're ****ing killing me.

Can we please stop talking about football? Can we please stop it? I'm tired of discussing Georgia Tech football. Can't we all just take a big long boring ass break until the games start. You're ****ing killing me.
off topic is always open

I thought we were talking about money?

We will not be going to the Big 10. If the Big 10 asks, don't you think DRad is calling up Birmingham and making sure they know the Yankees are trying to invade Atlanta again. Do you think the SEC is gonna let the Big 10 setup shop in the city of their championship game? The SEC will make a deal with DRad to invite us if we don't go to the Big 10 in order to keep them out of SEC territory. And this is if we even get offered by the Big 10.
Clearly you were not at today's Lunch Bunch with Wes Durham. You'd walk away with a completely different outlook on the prospects of Tech joining the Big Ten if offered, and if we can expect an invitation from the SEC in this go 'round.

Clearly you were not at today's Lunch Bunch with Wes Durham. You'd walk away with a completely different outlook on the prospects of Tech joining the Big Ten if offered, and if we can expect an invitation from the SEC in this go 'round.

Because Wes is privy to all of the backroom on goings.... he's the fricking announcer.

No I wasn't at the LB and my thoughts were before I read the post on the Hive but it doesn't change my mind. It's just one additional data point. There are tons of reports out there linking Tech and the SEC, people act like this is breaking news. I apoligize for using definitive statements when it was just my opinion based on reports and some logic. I should have expressed my opinion differently I suppose. I still feel that a 16 team SEC is prefereable to a 16 team Big Integer in the long term (think past the current TV deals).

There is no cap on the deal with the Big 10. It's all about cable subscriptions and advertising. Read Tony Barnhart's column in the AJC yesterday.

His estimation is that by the end of the SEC contract, there is a real potential for the Big 10 schools to be bringing in over $40 million annually. That's twice of what the SEC schools will be making .

What does that mean over time, the BEST facilities, the BEST coaches, the BEST of everything. That equals success.

I think it's MANDATED under State Law that TECH and uga meet once per year in all sports. The Law dates back to Dodds decision to leave the SEC.

Back