Can we please stop with the "Tech to the Big 10" stuff

Because Wes is privy to all of the backroom on goings.... he's the fricking announcer.

Who do you think knows the second most about what is going on in the white house? The press spokesman (IIRC Gibbs).

Wes may not be the exact equivalent, but he knows everybody and he'd get invites to a lot of meetings.

There is no cap on the deal with the Big 10. It's all about cable subscriptions and advertising. Read Tony Barnhart's column in the AJC yesterday.

His estimation is that by the end of the SEC contract, there is a real potential for the Big 10 schools to be bringing in over $40 million annually. That's twice of what the SEC schools will be making .

What does that mean over time, the BEST facilities, the BEST coaches, the BEST of everything. That equals success.

Exactly. And that's why as AD DRad would have almost a fiduciary responsiblity to say yes to the Big Int. That kind of money would immediately put the GTAA on solid footing.

I grew up an SEC fan and consider it the best brand of football. But that doesn't matter when you are talking this amount of money.

So y'all think the Big 10 will always produce the most money? Seriously asking. What would you do if you're the SEC?

Just a hypothetical, what if the SEC offered Texas, A&M, FSU, and Tech and the other schools were on board but we had to choose? Would this scenario change your opinion, Big 10 fans?

So y'all think the Big 10 will always produce the most money? Seriously asking. What would you do if you're the SEC?

Just a hypothetical, what if the SEC offered Texas, A&M, FSU, and Tech and the other schools were on board but we had to choose? Would this scenario change your opinion, Big 10 fans?

I think the future looks good for the SEC and the Big 10. The ACC is probably doomed if the other 2 plan to expand. I don't want us to be sitting by the phone waiting for the SEC to call in a few years when the dust settles. Most of the Big 10 critics are assuming the SEC will call and we will have a choice. That assumption could be the worst mistake in GT football history.

Texas certainly makes the decision tougher.

I'm not sure what your point is with the market stuff. We both agree that Atlanta is a huge market get for the Big 10. That's my point. The bigger value we are for the Big 10, the more likely we get an offer, which means the more likely we get an SEC offer(my point). If you think we'll choose the Big 10 (more TV money, more logistics problems, no rivalries) over the SEC (less TV money, easy logistics, great rivalries) then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Big 10 (more athletics money, more research money, better academics (by far), more logistics problems, no rivalries)

SEC (less athletics money, less research money, pitiful academics, easy logistics, great rivalries)

Don't forget who gets to vote. Academics is not a bystander in this.

And don't discount the research money. One article pointed out that Florida's budget for Athletics was 100 million and their research budget was 550 million.

Big 10 was raking in on average twice what the SEC was getting (am i recalling correctly? might be much more than that...). We do very well, but could we get more with joint projects or could the resources from the CIC allow us to get some more...

Exactly. And that's why as AD DRad would have almost a fiduciary responsiblity to say yes to the Big Int. That kind of money would immediately put the GTAA on solid footing.

I grew up an SEC fan and consider it the best brand of football. But that doesn't matter when you are talking this amount of money.

GT is not a whore

GT is not a whore

True, but the AA is, and should be. If you can double your yearly TV contract, with a significant bump once the Big Ten network really gets going, it is the right choice.
I don't think we go anywhere, and the ACC remains intact.

I think the future looks good for the SEC and the Big 10. The ACC is probably doomed if the other 2 plan to expand. I don't want us to be sitting by the phone waiting for the SEC to call in a few years when the dust settles. Most of the Big 10 critics are assuming the SEC will call and we will have a choice. That assumption could be the worst mistake in GT football history.

The SEC is the crowd that refused us entrance when we were truly desititute and had no shelter over our heads. The ring leaders were UGAg and All-barn.

We need to know who our friends are and who they're not. The ACC (even with the aggravating TR Mafia) is friends, the SEC is not. The Big Ten we don't know yet.

Our priorities need to be:
1. Stay put in a viable ACC
2. Move to a viable conference
2a. The Big Ten, if they come calling first
2b. The SEC, if they come calling first.

I suspect we'll never get to 2b.

Please help me out with this. I'm as excited as anyone about either possibility and follow the board chatter with interest. I am OK in the current ACC, would love to renew our old SEC rivalries in an expanded SEC, and would be estatic over Big 10 (plus whomever) $$$ and annual Rose Bowl potential.

I may have missed some of the early foundation for discussion from weeks ago. However, aside from what seems as very optimistic supposition from some in the media and board posters, is there anything from any of the conference officials or member institutions to indicate that Georgia Tech is under consideration from either Big 10 or SEC? So far, is this just Tech supporters talking or has anything resembling official been released. From my relatively distant geographical position, whenever I mention this subject to my SEC or Big 10 friends, they have no inkling and can't grasp any reason such an invitation would be offered.

Please help me out with this. I'm as excited as anyone about either possibility and follow the board chatter with interest. I am OK in the current ACC, would love to renew our old SEC rivalries in an expanded SEC, and would be estatic over Big 10 (plus whomever) $$$ and annual Rose Bowl potential.

I may have missed some of the early foundation for discussion from weeks ago. However, aside from what seems as very optimistic supposition from some in the media and board posters, is there anything from any of the conference officials or member institutions to indicate that Georgia Tech is under consideration from either Big 10 or SEC? So far, is this just Tech supporters talking or has anything resembling official been released. From my relatively distant geographical position, whenever I mention this subject to my SEC or Big 10 friends, they have no inkling and can't grasp any reason such an invitation would be offered.

Big Ten Commissioner Delany has been quoted as saying the Big Ten is interested in large media markets in the south. Atlanta is the 8th largest in the nation and the largest in the south by a wide margin.

We could tell you but we'd have to kill you.

Really its all just speculation. There was a report out of ESPN two weeks ago that said the SEC commish has been in talks with GT, FSU, etc about possible expansion. That report was later clarified to be false, but it sounded to me like a conversation that was off the record, got reported and the SEC commish basically slapped ESPN's wrist. So no telling what that means.

Then you have the fact that GT has been recently admitted into the AAU which is the Association of American Universities and a BIG TIME requirement for Big Ten admission. We are the first Big Time University in the south that has been admitted (not one SEC school is in the AAU FWIW).

So speculating on the puzzle pieces that could be, GT has in the least positioned itself knowingly or unknowingly to be a huge southern reach benefit of the Big Ten if they go to 16 teams. At the same time, it probably comes as no surprise that GT would love to be a part of SEC expansion plans because of regional allegiances and the monetary profit would be far greater than the Big Ten or the ACC. The only way we make sure we are included in the SEC expansion plan is to make ourselves a potential suitor for the Big Ten where the SEC is forced to include us in their plans whether they want to or not.

At this point there could be arguments on both sides if the SEC actually wants GT in their plans. But in the least, we seem to have met all qualifications to meet Big Ten standards.

The more GT to the Big Ten rumors there are the better it is for GT ending up in the SEC. So talk it up!!!

Really its all just speculation. There was a report out of ESPN two weeks ago that said the SEC commish has been in talks with GT, FSU, etc about possible expansion. That report was later clarified to be false, but it sounded to me like a conversation that was off the record, got reported and the SEC commish basically slapped ESPN's wrist. So no telling what that means.

Then you have the fact that GT has been recently admitted into the AAU which is the Association of American Universities and a BIG TIME requirement for Big Ten admission. We are the first Big Time University in the south that has been admitted (not one SEC school is in the AAU FWIW).

So speculating on the puzzle pieces that could be, GT has in the least positioned itself knowingly or unknowingly to be a huge southern reach benefit of the Big Ten if they go to 16 teams. At the same time, it probably comes as no surprise that GT would love to be a part of SEC expansion plans because of regional allegiances and the monetary profit would be far greater than the Big Ten or the ACC. The only way we make sure we are included in the SEC expansion plan is to make ourselves a potential suitor for the Big Ten where the SEC is forced to include us in their plans whether they want to or not.

At this point there could be arguments on both sides if the SEC actually wants GT in their plans. But in the least, we seem to have met all qualifications to meet Big Ten standards.

The more GT to the Big Ten rumors there are the better it is for GT ending up in the SEC. So talk it up!!!

Vanderbilt and Florida.

Thank you BOR & Stinger78.

Back