Can't believe no one is talking about this..

This is great news... a great first step. Hopefully many more steps will follow.

So we will just have to settle for 30 points per game I guess...

Well we gave up an average of 36.8 points in our losses last year. So if our defense gets better, I will settle for 30 points a game.

Do y'all really think this is going to make that much of a difference? How many players have we lost out on directly because of academics? Sure, there are some players we haven't recruited because we knew they wouldn't be admitted but are we likely to get those 5* recruits anyways?

Do y'all really think this is going to make that much of a difference? How many players have we lost out on directly because of academics? Sure, there are some players we haven't recruited because we knew they wouldn't be admitted but are we likely to get those 5* recruits anyways?

its a good direction. we need a glass of water and just got a shot or two. don't pour it out. pj obviously thought it was important.

You won't notice much of a difference in just one recruiting cycle, but over time it should help stockpile at least a few difference makers and sometimes it only takes three really good players to get you from 7 wins to 10.

I don't know that this gets us 5 star kids. But I bet this opens it up for more 4 stars.

President Peterson is finally trying!
I never have understood the negativity towards him in regards to athletics. He's probably been the most visible and active President sports-wise that we've ever had. I think it was just a matter of time and evaluation (much like I think Bobinski is going through now) before he started making moves that had a positive effect on the AA. He always seemed to me to understand that a strong sports program is a benefit to the school.

It's not about "losing out" on players...we WOULDN'T EVEN BOTHER with those guys who we knew would not meet GT's standards. This is huge man.

Wonder if this means a recruit like junior gnonkonde could be admitted now?

Well we gave up an average of 36.8 points in our losses last year. So if our defense gets better, I will settle for 30 points a game.

Yeah I was actually agreeing with you. We need the help on D. Offense is fine as it is if we can get a few more stops per game.

Wow, that's the best GT-related news I've ever read. More than willing to re-up my donations/tix now and be patient for the number of years it will take for this move to bear fruit.

You won't notice much of a difference in just one recruiting cycle, but over time it should help stockpile at least a few difference makers and sometimes it only takes three really good players to get you from 7 wins to 10.

Exactly what I was thinking. You hear every year about a handful of guys we lose out on because they won't be able to qualify. Maybe it helps us get 1 or 2 of them each cycle. Probably won't affect our individual year's recruiting rankings too much. But 3/4 years down the road when we have those guys starting to contribute with a litte more quality depth behind them we might start to see the difference. Certainly a step in the right direction.

I wonder if the new leeway is quantified somehow. For instance the 20% number of old. Is it open-ended for CPJ to use his judgement? I doubt we see it go much aboce 25-30% (one or two extra per class). You still have to bring in kids who can pass the classes to stay eligible.

I don't know if this will help Paul Johnson out. He'll probably get fired before this pays off any. And the next guy will be kneecapped again.

I don't know if this will help Paul Johnson out. He'll probably get fired before this pays off any. And the next guy will be kneecapped again.

If the president thought that Johnson was really in danger of getting fired, I doubt he'd have given him any concession at all. I think this actually signals that Johnson has at least 3 or so years left before any action would be taken.

Back