Can't believe no one is talking about this..

All the CPJ detractors need to also recognize that CPJ earned this through his recruiting practices and getting his players to graduation. It's not just about Xs and Os, folks. I think many of us on here understand that winning and winning consistently in football at GT is a negotiation of variables that the large majority of other D1 schools do NOT have to deal with. CPJ just negotiated one of the major ones through a consistent, fair, and well executed recruiting and player management strategy. He deserves his due for that alone.

All the CPJ detractors need to also recognize that CPJ earned this through his recruiting practices and getting his players to graduation. It's not just about Xs and Os, folks. I think many of us on here understand that winning and winning consistently in football at GT is a negotiation of variables that the large majority of other D1 schools do NOT have to deal with. CPJ just negotiated one of the major ones through a consistent, fair, and well executed recruiting and player management strategy. He deserves his due for that alone.

I agree.

I wonder if the new leeway is quantified somehow. For instance the 20% number of old. Is it open-ended for CPJ to use his judgement? I doubt we see it go much aboce 25-30% (one or two extra per class). You still have to bring in kids who can pass the classes to stay eligible.

I think the main difference is that if we think maybe on 10, we could try to recruit on 10 even if we only land 3 or 4. Before we would have to pick 3 to really focus on and hope the other 7 are still interested if those 3 dont work.

I disagree. He recruited before like he was at Navy and the system would fix everything. At about the same point that Chan learned you need talent to make the system work, it finally got through to him. It started last year when he hired Joe and the recruiting office. Chan's good class probably kept him from learning his lesson earlier and all of the fans bashing his recruiting and offensive line coaching appears to have sunk in. I wish him luck, but still have doubts.

I disagree. He recruited before like he was at Navy and the system would fix everything. At about the same point that Chan learned you need talent to make the system work, it finally got through to him. It started last year when he hired Joe and the recruiting office. Chan's good class probably kept him from learning his lesson earlier and all of the fans bashing his recruiting and offensive line coaching appears to have sunk in. I wish him luck, but still have doubts.

What? He was recruiting with in the restrictions of the Hill and he was hired because he presented a system that could overcome (in part) those restrictions. If anything, he was able to demonstrate that the system (his offense) with better talent (Chan's last class) was a great combination as opposed to the system with restricted recruiting classes. He was told "here's how we want to do recruiting" and "we want to see better graduation numbers." He accomplished what they asked of him and they (the Hill and Peterson) are now willing to give him some leeway. öööö man, I get people not being sold on his system still, but you have to give him credit for directing the proper focus on the "student" in 'student athlete."

Not flood gates but glad to finally see this happen, something i have complained about for a while!!! Great steps lets hope pj uses it as much and wisely as possible. Should help the lines.

If the president thought that Johnson was really in danger of getting fired, I doubt he'd have given him any concession at all. I think this actually signals that Johnson has at least 3 or so years left before any action would be taken.

See my poetry in another thread for the 3 year prediction.

Many schools have dumb jocks and lose. Look at Florida this year. Only about 15 places behind GT in US News rankings, but a world apart in academics.

Pawl is gone in 3.

Top 25 recruiting class next year or gtfo!

No more excuses as far as I'm concerned. ...

This needed to happen. I heard Cutcliffe comment on how he was given more exceptions at Duke. Roof had 2 per year, Cutcliffe demanded he would get up to 12 per year. Poor Ted had the same # of annual exceptions as Coach K.

This needed to happen. I heard Cutcliffe comment on how he was given more exceptions at Duke. Roof had 2 per year, Cutcliffe demanded he would get up to 12 per year. Poor Ted had the same # of annual exceptions as Coach K.

With seven times the roster.

You do realize that these are changes he's been pushing for a while now, right? More leeway with recruiting, sports medicine minor, and larger recruiting office were all things that johnson specifically requested.

I never have understood the negativity towards him in regards to athletics. He's probably been the most visible and active President sports-wise that we've ever had. I think it was just a matter of time and evaluation (much like I think Bobinski is going through now) before he started making moves that had a positive effect on the AA. He always seemed to me to understand that a strong sports program is a benefit to the school.

As regards Bud, you might be correct, but I remember when Arthur Hansen came in he was asked about football. He responded, "I am from Green Bay, how do you think I feel about winning football?" WTTE

The biggest key is for those people to understand how a really good football team helps the school, something you pointed out.

Better passing from under center? Due to our system that our people are comfortable with?

Coaching wise I am curious about Sewak. Did he get an ultimatum? Are we changing , fundamentally, our entire technique?

Back