Can't believe no one is talking about this..

I think this is going to make a bigger difference at the bottom/middle of our recruiting class than at the top. While we can compete for better players at the top, we still have to get them here. But when we miss, the door stays open for some solid guys further down the list that might not ordinarily have gotten a look. Our tendency now is to take guys who are perceived to have more flaws athletically, but not academically, to fill in the gaps on our recruiting roster. Now, we consider a guy with less athletic downside, but not considered to be an NFL prospect, who may need more classroom help. We wouldn't have been able to look at him before. That's going to improve depth.

Well, the way this has helped in the past, is at the top---otherwise we have no legacy to speak of.

All the CPJ detractors need to also recognize that CPJ earned this through his recruiting practices and getting his players to graduation. It's not just about Xs and Os, folks. I think many of us on here understand that winning and winning consistently in football at GT is a negotiation of variables that the large majority of other D1 schools do NOT have to deal with. CPJ just negotiated one of the major ones through a consistent, fair, and well executed recruiting and player management strategy. He deserves his due for that alone.

Ditto.

Also pretty much agree with this, but while not a massive game changer, it will help.

I disagree, this is as big a game changer as we can ever hope for. This removes all restrictions not inherent to the school, conference, tradition, and fan base. Of course everything isn't academic related . Academics aren't why bama is better than nc state.

I agree this is a very good step, but I caution those who think the flood gates have just opened for 5 star recruits. The hill was just one of many academically related hurdles to our recruiting.

Calling the hurdles we face, ones that our competitors do not, "excuses" shows a lack of understanding of the dynamics of recruiting at GT.
and the difficulty of academics for students much less student athletes. It is not a University with lots of easy major choices and the class work is much more difficult than the majority of the state universities.

Back