Catchall FSU Gone/Snubbed/White Knighting Thread

There are at least 3 possible organizations of the helmets where this could be claimed. For instance, they could be left to right, top to bottom in ranking order, which is probably the more natural order than top to bottom, left to right (excluding third row) if you knew in advance. There are 2^5=32 possible helmet organizations. So it's only like a 1 in 10 chance. There are a lot of 1 in 10 coincidences out there one could start a conspiracy theory over.
Yes, it's easy to read too much into the helmet arrangement. But it's also entirely plausible the people who own the media rights would have inside information about the selection process and would be first to find out. I wouldn't call that a conspiracy theory. ESPN has a significant vested interest in the committee's decision. And the committee's explanation - citing how FSU *looked* playing without Travis - was a tacit admission that expected entertainment value, which is what ESPN cares most about, shaped the voting.

On the probability thing, there are 120 possible arrangements for five helmets on five shelves. Five choices for the 1st shelf filled, four for the 2nd, three for the 3rd, two for the 4th, and one for the 5th (5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 120). Probability for a specific helmet landing on a specific shelf is 1 in 5 at worst. It's process of elimination, so each time you fill a shelf, odds go up for any one of the remaining helmets to land on the next shelf. But odds of FSU landing on that "odd man out" shelf, assuming it's those five helmets to arrange on those five shelves, are 1 in 5 (20%) at worst.

Yes, it's easy to read too much into the helmet arrangement. But it's also entirely plausible the people who own the media rights would have inside information about the selection process and would be first to find out. I wouldn't call that a conspiracy theory. ESPN has a significant vested interest in the committee's decision. And the committee's explanation - citing how FSU *looked* playing without Travis - was a tacit admission that expected entertainment value, which is what ESPN cares most about, shaped the voting.

On the probability thing, there are 120 possible arrangements for five helmets on five shelves. Five choices for the 1st shelf filled, four for the 2nd, three for the 3rd, two for the 4th, and one for the 5th (5 * 4 * 3 * 2 * 1 = 120). Probability for a specific helmet landing on a specific shelf is 1 in 5 at worst. It's process of elimination, so each time you fill a shelf, odds go up for any one of the remaining helmets to land on the next shelf. But odds of FSU landing on that "odd man out" shelf, assuming it's those five helmets to arrange on those five shelves, are 1 in 5 (20%) at worst.

Oops yeah it's 5!. I was thinking coin flips or something.

Well if there are (at least) 3 "correct" orderings out of 120, that's 1/40 or 2.5% chance of a correct ordering. So that is a little suspicious to me if there aren't more correct orderings... Although if you're looking for conspiracies there are surely lots of 2.5% coincidences out there.

Agreed that they could've had inside info. I just don't think the helmets are enough to know. However I am now suspicious.

The saving grace for those in charge is that the 12 team expansion minimizes this so there probably won't be any action as a result as this specific thing won't happen again. The bad news is that the same people are in charge, they got away with one and will only become more emboldened to do other stupid things in the future that we haven't even yet considered. I'd much rather some heads roll, even if only to set some sort of precedent, instead the rich get richer is probably how it works out long term.
It's going to be even worse with the 1 or 2 loss teams jockeying for a spot.

I saw a hypothetical 12 team bracket the other day. Only two teams that were not currently or in the future a Big10 or SEC member.
And that surprises you?

ACC football has been widely disrespected and disliked for over 3 decades—- dating back to the days of the early 1990s went Florida State joined.

Even the mighty and dominant Florida State could not bring any respect to the ACC.

The only fans I know that really like the ACC went to Duke, North Carolina, or NC State.

Georgia Tech missed its narrow window of opportunity to get the hell out of the ACC and get to The B1G when our stock value was high after winning the ACC championship in 2009.

The shot just went over the bow. Florida State was extremely wronged by the BCS committee. The ACC is on its own. In my opinion, there will never be a BCS football champion for the ACC, ever again. But that’s just opinion….

It's going to be even worse with the 1 or 2 loss teams jockeying for a spot.

True, but this level of travesty won't happen again, an undefeated team is highly unlikely to be left out.

Still, I don't like it. Going into the last week of the season it should be known exactly what is going to happen based on who wins and loses, like the NFL or any other sport. No more committee of people deciding who goes, that's way too corruptible as we have seen time after time.

And that surprises you?

ACC football has been widely disrespected and disliked for over 3 decades—- dating back to the days of the early 1990s went Florida State joined.

Even the mighty and dominant Florida State could not bring any respect to the ACC.

The only fans I know that really like the ACC went to Duke, North Carolina, or NC State.

Georgia Tech missed its narrow window of opportunity to get the hell out of the ACC and get to The B1G when our stock value was high after winning the ACC championship in 2009.

The shot just went over the bow. Florida State was extremely wronged by the BCS committee. The ACC is on its own. In my opinion, there will never be a BCS football champion for the ACC, ever again. But that’s just opinion….
Completely agree. Even with a 12 team playoff, the only way any ACC team gets in is if they are undefeated. No one loss ACC team has a chance. Conversely, like there could be several two loss SEC teams in

The funny thing in this thread is the people who think ESPN conspired with the Selection Committee. A conspiracy implies they worked together. ESPN told the Selection Committee who the top 4 were going to be, that's how the money works. Nobody at ABC/ESPN cared if FSU ended up at #5 or #50; the top 4 is all that matters.

FSU needs to get out of the ACC if they are serious about football. They have set precedence that a team can go undefeated in the ACC, win the conference and still get excluded from the playoffs.

Selection committee members look for reasons to exclude ACC members from the playoffs. Who's to say they will not do it again even with a 12 team playoff?

If the free shoes were on the other feet and this was Alabama that was undefeated but had their star quarterback injured but continued to win games they would be in the playoffs so this is because FSU is in the ACC.

The ACC is just a dead man walking conference.

My understanding is that GoR is fairly ironclad. Like, FSU "can leave", but they're going to need a Bezos money to offset the costs.
I polled some FSU people I know. They believe that even with losing home field media revenue from the GoR (which they now accept they'll have to pay), the incremental conference revenue from the SEC would about make them whole.

I polled some FSU people I know. They believe that even with losing home field media revenue from the GoR (which they now accept they'll have to pay), the incremental conference revenue from the SEC would about make them whole.
It's a damn good thing for FSU that FSU people aren't running their program then.

FSU needs to get out of the ACC if they are serious about football. They have set precedence that a team can go undefeated in the ACC, win the conference and still get excluded from the playoffs.

Selection committee members look for reasons to exclude ACC members from the playoffs.
This wasn't an anti-ACC situation. What the selection committee (which changes every year) said is that they won't exclude the SEC (and presumably the B1G). This means that you get 2 of 3 (PAC, ACC, and XII) since the committee said in 2017-2018 that they won't let in a G5. This just happened to be a year where the ACC was behind PAC and XII (and XII got in simply because the committee needed to justify the SEC).

This wasn't an anti-ACC situation. What the selection committee (which changes every year) said is that they won't exclude the SEC (and presumably the B1G). This means that you get 2 of 3 (PAC, ACC, and XII) since the committee said in 2017-2018 that they won't let in a G5. This just happened to be a year where the ACC was behind PAC and XII (and XII got in simply because the committee needed to justify the SEC).

Yes, what this means is that there will be a P2, an M2, and everyone else. The ACC and Big XII champs will get autobids every year under the expanded system, but beyond that it's going to be tough.

Yes, what this means is that there will be a P2, an M2, and everyone else. The ACC and Big XII champs will get autobids every year under the expanded system, but beyond that it's going to be tough.
Til they get rid of autobids, at least.

Selection committee members look for reasons to exclude ACC members from the playoffs. Who's to say they will not do it again even with a 12 team playoff?

If the free shoes were on the other feet and this was Alabama that was undefeated but had their star quarterback injured but continued to win games they would be in the playoffs so this is because FSU is in the ACC.

The ACC is just a dead man walking conference.
Unfortunately some of the numbers justify the SEC to be higher than the ACC. Mainly because they don’t have many BAD losses. They also have a very good win in Miss St over AZ. But that win is deceiving!

In game 3 the starting QB for U of A was hurt and the Noah Fifita era began with a GW drive against Stanford and a subsequent 7-2 record with 2 losses being UW by 7 and triple OT to Southern Cal. A different team with a different QB, but the computers don’t see that. They just see bad in SEC Miss State beat good in PAC XII U of A.

Meanwhile in the ACC teams like VPI and GT got better over the course of the year and had terrible OOC record and good in conference records. Another example of people using numbers without understanding what they mean or where they come from. People like to do that nowadays.

Does the SEC even want them?

Back