CFP Rankings Thread

If they win and stay at #4, thats when the gloves should come off. Fortunately, we won't get to see that scenario play out. [emoji3]

I think the committee will choose the 4 teams they want in the playoff then will seed those 4 teams to make the most compelling matchups. Pac-12 Champ vs. Big 12 Champ* in the Rose Bowl and ACC Champ vs. SEC Champ in Sugar Bowl makes sense.

It matters because us beating the #4 team is less impressive than us beating the #1 team for us.

bama lost to the then #11, now #12 arizona and is #1.
oregon lost to the then unraked, now #7 arizona and is #2.
tcu lost to the then #5, now #6 baylor and is #3.
FSU is undefeated but a loss to the current #11 would drop them out, apparently.

it all seems weirdly justified, but we do know that the CFP committee wants FSU out, and that also puts us out.

It matters because us beating the #4 team is less impressive than us beating the #1 team for us.

bama lost to the then #11, now #12 Mississippi and is #1.
oregon lost to the then unraked, now #7 arizona and is #2.
tcu lost to the then #5, now #6 baylor and is #3.
FSU is undefeated but a loss to the current #11 would drop them out, apparently.

it all seems weirdly justified, but we do know that the CFP committee wants FSU out, and that also puts us out.

FIFY. :biggrin:

Interesting point from Jeff Schultz:

4. This looks like a setup: It would make sense that that the committee (read: television) would want relative East and West brackets in the semifinals. That’s the way it sets up now. No. 1 Alabama would play No. 4 Florida State, and No. 2 Oregon would play No. 3 TCU. If FSU (or Alabama) was ranked second or third, that wouldn’t be the case.
I don't buy this conspiracy theory, I just think the committee's ranking philosophy is all wrong. But when there aren't hard rules and/or criteria for ranking teams, who knows... There's a lot of money involved here.

I don't buy this conspiracy theory, I just think the committee's ranking philosophy is all wrong. But when there aren't hard rules and/or criteria for ranking teams, who knows... There's a lot of money involved here.

Why would television give a öööö if it ie East vs East or East vs West?

Why would television give a öööö if it ie East vs East or East vs West?

Less about television and more about travel. One of the biggest things thrown against playoffs before now was that the earlier games would not be well attended because of the combined short notice with maybe holding out for the next round, so trying to make it better for that would be more about solidifying the concept.

On that note, where will the Final be again? Will Bama have to actually leave the Southeast this year?

Edit: The last part was half in jest, but out of curiosity I decided to look. Bama has not left a region close to another SEC school since they played at Penn St in 2011...

Final is in JerryWorld I believe. So to answer your question...not really.

Here's the other danger/conspiracy theory: we beat FSU, and unless we go to the CFP, the ACC will not have a representative. How much pressure might the refs in the ACCCG be under from the conference to make sure FSU gets in?

AA is KILLING it this week at ESPN. Video now up on cfb front page questioning if F$U's #4 ranking is just a conspiracy to match them up with Bama.... there's either something to it or she's a ST'er. :lol:

AA is KILLING it this week at ESPN. Video now up on cfb front page questioning if F$U's #4 ranking is just a conspiracy to match them up with Bama.... there's either something to it or she's a ST'er. :lol:

In the next couple of weeks, AA may just disappear or get into some sort of 'random' car accident. There are dark powers behind the NCAA/ESPN/SEC monster... Hell, the government is even involved. Condoleezza Rice is on the öööö-lousy committee. College Football is turning into the Hunger Games! And AA is becoming the mockingjay!

Now the video is having trouble loading for me. Looks like Finebaum pulled the cord right as AA published it.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet but Todd Mcshay(sp) just made a really good point on ESPN......he stated that FSU moved down to #4 and moved TCU up to #3 to make it harder for Baylor to jump them in the final rankings and be able to logically void the head to head argument. He mentioned that the rankings for the other three teams really don't matter because the win and you're in, lose and you're out philosophy applies to each of them.

Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet but Todd Mcshay(sp) just made a really good point on ESPN......he stated that FSU moved down to #4 and moved TCU up to #3 to make it harder for Baylor to jump them in the final rankings and be able to logically void the head to head argument. He mentioned that the rankings for the other three teams really don't matter because the win and you're in, lose and you're out philosophy applies to each of them.

Or simply that the committee is made up of FOUR representatives from the PAC 12 and ONE from the ACC. The PAC 12 is conspiring to make sure their team out west finally can get into the championship game and wouldn't everyone rather play TCU instead of Oregon or FSU, who have both been there before?

He also mentioned that if Miss St had won, FSU would be number 5 right now because FSU wasnt going to jump MSU and TCU jumped FSU.

That would be pretty outrageous, so the committee seems pretty lucky that MSU lost.

Not sure why people think the committee would rather pick two Big 12 teams than one Big 12 team and the ACC/B1G champion.

A 1-loss Baylor will be picked over either champion if Wisconsin, GT and Baylor win. Kansas State is possible for #4 if they win, but GT and Wisconsin do have the conference champion thing in their favor.

AA is just like HD - what's best for the conference is best for AA. That's why she swings so hard from being down on GT early in the season when it looked like a 7-win year to being pro-GT later in the season when it looked like a 10-win year. No conspiracy.

A 1-loss Baylor will be picked over either champion if Wisconsin, GT and Baylor win. Kansas State is possible for #4 if they win, but GT and Wisconsin do have the conference champion thing in their favor.

That's not necessarily true. The committee has said they'll defer to the conferences to determine champions. The Big 12 has said there is no tie breaker, they are acknowledging them as co-champions. In the event KSU beats Baylor, KSU and TCU (assuming they win) would be deemed co-champions so the committee would treat them as such.

As dumb as it is, the KSU/Baylor game is a (co-)championship game.

No matter how they handle the co champions thing, I will use it as political ammo against them. Thanks Big Texas conference!

Back