CGC knows what he is good at and leveraged accordingly.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Yep. And Dabo inherited a team with draft picks already on the team, including a few first rounders. Once Chan's recruits were gone, Johnson had what...2 or 3 draft picks who weren't punters or kickers? Gotsis, Stephen Hill and probably one other I'm forgetting? And of those, all were gone by the time Collins took over the program. In the 3 years since GC took over, how many of those Johnson players were drafted?

That pretty much lets you know the difference in the talent levels.

Collins may suck as a head coach but he's done two very valuable things for this program:
1 - recruited better talent
2 - proven that this bullshit narrative that has been propagated as long as I've been a Tech fan (since 1984 when I started there) was a lie. And that was that we can't recruit the same type of players as everyone else and keep them eligible.
#2 is pretty powerful to me. Tech isn't the easiest place to recruit but it shows it is possible if someone tries

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
#2 is pretty powerful to me. Tech isn't the easiest place to recruit but it shows it is possible if someone tries
I concur. TBH, I had bought into the argument that we couldn't recruit the same type players, etc and had used that as an excuse myself. If nothing else, he has proven that we have the ability to recruit using the city of Atlanta in conjunction with the fantastic institute that is GT. That seems to piss off many people here but I suspect they'll get over that quickly if we start winning games.

GT to AZ

Helluva Engineer
You’re not getting quality coordinators to tie their name to a sinking ship. That is the problem. Any money spent on more bargain coordinators is just buying time and I don’t think we have that time. You have to start with a fresh face at HC.
This is my concern too. What rising star wants to take a chance with a coach on the hot seat? The money would have to be really good and we're not paying all that much when you compare us to other schools. The other issue is, does Collins really want to fire anyone? If not, he's going to be bitter about his hand being forced and that's not a recipe for success.

Last edited:

oldgold68

Bitter old man
When TStan publicly stated he had the financial backing to buy CGC out, if necessary, it was a shot across the bow. Collins couldn’t hide behind the “they can’t afford to fire me so I’m safe”. So, in one swoop, TStan said “you’re my guy”, but the big money donors are willing to get rid of you if you don’t fix this dumpster fire.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Dabo was already winning before Venables, he just needed the extra push to permanently move beyond Clemsoning
Ehhh, kinda. Clemson was 9-5, then 6-7, and then 10-3 in Dabo’s 3rd year when the offense exploded under Chad Morris. They were good, but not great. They gave up 70 in an Orange Bowl and fired the DC after the game. Since bringing in Venables, they’ve finished in the top 10 every year but once. There was definitely a big difference in the program, almost immediately.

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Ehhh, kinda. Clemson was 9-5, then 6-7, and then 10-3 in Dabo’s 3rd year when the offense exploded under Chad Morris. They were good, but not great. They gave up 70 in an Orange Bowl and fired the DC after the game. Since bringing in Venables, they’ve finished in the top 10 every year but once. There was definitely a big difference in the program, almost immediately.
Are you refuting my point or reinforcing it?

johncu

Dodd-Like
Are you refuting my point or reinforcing it?
I suppose mostly reinforcing. Just wanted to emphasize that adding Venables definitely made a huge difference. Clemson was good before that, but didn’t really have an identity other than “have great skill players on offense”. Venables gave that team an identity that led to multiple championships.