Clarification of White & Gold

Drew Hearn

Varsity Lurker
Apparently my name is being tossed about on the internet, specifically about my "white and gold campaign".

I am told that the responses indicate a misunderstanding of my goals.

THE MAIN THRUST OF MY EFFORT IS THAT, IF A CHANGE IN OUR OFFICIAL COLORS IS TO BE CONSIDERED, A VOTE OF ALL GT ALUMNI AND STUDENTS SHOULD BE HELD.(Ballots could be printed in Tech Topics, The Technique, etc.) If those two bodies vote to change the official colors to "pink and green" I will support the results 110%. I will even change the colors on my boat, "The Ramblin Wreck" it would look good with a pink hull and green trim.

What I resent is the official colors supposedly being changed by the GTAA board with seven of the twelve members having never attended class at Tech.

REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU ARE TOLD BY THE ALUMNI ASSN. OR THE ATHLETIC ASSOC., THE CLASS OF 1892 FORMED A COMMITTEE TO SELECT THE OFFICIAL GT COLORS. THE COMMITTEE CONSISTED OF A.R. COLCORD OF ATLANTA, ARTHUR SOLOMON OF SAVANNAH, AND F.E. WHITNEY OF PHILADELPHIA. THE COMMITTEE SELECTED OLD GOLD AND WHITE, AND IT WAS APPROVED BY THE STUDENT BODY.

The Athletic Board says the the class of 1892 chose blue, white, and gold as the school colors. THAT IS THE TYPICAL "REVISIONIST". APPROACH A PROBLEM-"IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE TRUTH CHANGE IT." IT IS STILL A LIE!!!

A tradition from 1892 through 1905 was that each class choose it's own class colors. The class of 1892 chose blue, white, and gold as the class colors. The class of 1905 chose crimson, white, green, and black.

Using the Athletic Board's shaky logic of class colors being the official school colors they should have made the new official colors white, gold, blue, purple, orange, crimson, green and black. Those were all class colors.

I am well aware of the fact that some of Dodd's teams wore blue. He was asked to do that for early black and white television. Dodd hated it and wore them mostly on the road. Curry put his teams in black because of the intimidation factor, and a NCAA rule requiring the home team to wear their dark color at home. He could have chosen gold just as UNC chose light blue and UT chose orange. Ross put his teams in blue because Dodd had.

THERE ARE EIGHT GA TECH SONGS. ALL MENTION GOLD AND WHITE, AND NONE MENTION BLUE.
The official colors of white and gold are confirmed in many publications including former president M.L. Brittain's book "The Story of Georgia Tech"

Why does it matter? Tech is constantly begging us for more money, and yet they freely give up the opportunity to capitalize on our colors. Example: Ga. Tech makes $300,000 per year from the sale of licensed products, U.N.C. makes $5,000,0000. U.N.C. attributes the success to color identification.

I FIND IT VERY INTERESTING THAT THE ATHLETIC BOARD VOTED TO CHANGE OUR COLORS AFTER RECEIVING NOTICE FROM THE ALUMNI ASSOCIATION BOARD, THE A-T BOARD, AND FOUR FOCUS GROUPS SAID THAT THEY WANTED WHITE AND OLD GOLD REESTABLISHED AS G.T. OFFICIAL SCHOOL COLORS.

Apparently, Paul Hewitt says that he can't recruit unless he can wear dark uniforms. Accordingly, we "Scrap" a one hundred and eleven year old tradition so Hewitt can bring in basketball players who stay at Tech one year and go to the NBA like happened this year, and the other players who have left.

Can you imagine UGA changing their school colors-black and orange instead of black and red? What about Clemson or U.N.C.?

Please don't waste your time saying that you remember a Tech team wearing blue in the past.
Just because someone does something against a policy, a rule, etc. doesn't make it right, and it doesn't make it permanent. A lot of people have learned that lesson the hard way, including Bill Clinton, Adolph Hitler, and Adam & Eve, among others.

I am not opposed to using black or blue as an accent color, but not to exceed 5% of the uniform, and in fact I prefer the dark numbers over the gold ones.

THE BIG QUESTION!!!!WHY WON'T THEY LET US VOTE?

DREW HEARN B.E.E.1957

P.S. please don't bother responding to this unless you know the facts.

Fact is, you, sir, are a tremendous fan of Georgia Tech and a fine American.

Thank you for the clarification, and thank you for your support for the teams.

Our colors are white and gold. Lets keep it that way.

I'm with Drew!!!

someone pin this baby to the top

Thanks Drew.

How about we decide on a color of gold first? We have way too many cheese-like colors around. Has anyone seen the Tech trolley? Its not gold, its friggin' yellow.

I like the old gold and white accented in blue, but your point is very true sir.The alumni and students should be allowed to chose the school color.But what about the long time fans who are not alumni or students and donate money and buy season tickets every year do they have a voice in the matter?
drinking.gif

Well, bottom line is this "entire" issue divides the GT alumni and fan base and it is obsurd that as many posts throughout the years have been devoted to such a topic.

No matter the "reason", GT "has" used blue throughout the years for many athletic programs. The primary colors will always be white & gold, and nothing has changed there. I enjoy the blue from time to time and see no reason to have such a "fit" one way or another.

If someone truly cares about and loves Georgia Tech, there would NEVER be an issue made about the colors worn. The behavior by some on this issue is a true embarrasment to alumni and fans everywhere. I feel at times the GTAA has been held hostage one way or another over this issue.

All of this is just ONE man's opinion of course. But I feel we all need to let go of this issue. It is causing much more harm than it is worth. I have already typed more in this post than should have. I say "just let it go".

By the way, if there ever was a vote, it is pretty much 50-50.

A FEW FACTS: Dodd put GT in Blue uni's for the 1940 Orange Bowl to differentiate GT from Missouri's "gold". However, he had GT in blue jerseys and HELMETS in the mid-40s a few years before TV. GT played in the first televised college football game in the south in 1951 or 1952.

There is the belief that "blue" GT items sell better than "gold". I have never seen hard numbers on this, but it makes sense on what I have seen.

I think UGA has nearly 50% of their uniforms silver at last check, oh, but wait they are the Red & Black.

If putting Hewitt's bunch in all purple will get us better players, I am all for it. I am about winning and being succesful (and what is inside), not what color we wear. Just my two cents.

THE BIG QUESTION!!!!WHY WON'T THEY LET US VOTE?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess the obvious answer is if the GTAA doesn't care what **you** think then what makes you think they will give a flip what **we** think?

ohkay .. let me be the first to give a differing opinion. although mr hearn's post ends with a "don't bother to respond if you don't have the facts" caveat, i'll just respond with what i understand and what has been placed in front of me.

tech has traditionally had two official colors .. old gold and white. mr. hearn's position is that we should primarily use these 2 colors and no other color for more than 5% of the uniform.

why 5%? who came up with that number?

yeah, we've used other colors before, which were more than 5% of the uniform. at some point because of rules, at other points to try and intimidate teams.

we have also been given the example of georgia which has its colors as red and black. well, they sport white jerseys regularly. what is that all about? they wear white jerseys for a reason i'm sure. nobody is making them wear white jerseys. they must think that it's to their advantage. doesn't bother them that their colors are red and black.

what about other sports? something like swimming? are our swimmers supposed to wear only white and gold? uniforms in those colors become see through when they get wet. how would you like your sisters and daughters wearing see through white swimsuits competing in an ACC event?

next is this fact about UNC making tons of money because they are identified with baby blue. i'd think that there are other factors involved than just color identification, such as their basketball program's history of success, their fan base being large, their school's reputation and so on.

i am an alumni and if i get the humbling opportunity to vote on this issue, and if i'm informed that coach hewitt thinks that it will hurt if we don't have dark uniforms .. i will unhesitatingly vote for white, gold and blue.

given the fact that blue has been used at tech before and that it was voted as a color by the first class at tech, class colors or school colors, i dunno .. but blue definitely has a history of being associated with tech. a rich one at that.

5%? 10%? 15%? 20%? as long as it's to our benefit and advantage. if hewitt thinks that dark uniforms are to his advantage, he can use any combination of white, gold and blue.

that doesn't mean that the ramblin wreck has to be repainted or your yatch Sir. at best, this is a petty issue in my eyes. not worth dividing our house over.

Mr. Hearn,

I'm a strong supporter of wearing white and gold
and only using blue or black as an accent color.

I think you'll find that most people on the board
will feel the same...

I have also investigated licensing of GT gear and
know first hand that Georgia Tech does very little
to facilitate third party vendors and new and
unique creations that utilize our logo and likeness.

I hear you loud and clear on your comment about other
schools generating more revenue from their colors.

I don't think the problem here is color, so much
as it is the fact that Georgia Tech requires a
finished "proof" of every item before they will
approve it for production and sale. They very
effectively prevent the little guy (like myself)
from creating licensed and official gameday gear
or apparrel.

The "white and gold issue" is not what prompted
the recent flurry of conversation which included
your name. That was all stirred back up because
of reports about your not being allowed to speak
at the Kick Off Banquet.

Now...I don't know what has gone on between you
and Mr. Braine and you didn't touch on that at
all in your posting.

I think its safe to say that sometimes its not the
message that is poorly received but the method
through which that message is delivered.

I'll use a little hypothetical example if you don't
mind...

[/start hypothetical example]
I'm a big supporter of white and gold. I will not
wear a blue shirt or a blue hat inside Bobby Dodd
Stadium on game day.

However...my wife, a 'Nole, gives me a blue GT hat
for Christmas. She doesn't know any better. Its
a GT hat as far as she knows.

Out of respect for her and appreciation for the
gift, I wear that blue GT hat while tailgating. I
fully intend to change hats before walking to the
stadium.

While walking by our tailgate, Drew Hearn sees my
blue hat and offers to replace it with a white and
gold hat. When I decline, because its a gift from
my wife, Mr. Hearn presses the matter. I ask Mr.
Hearn what he intends to do with the hat and his
response is to pull out a pair of scissors.

At this point, I'm not too happy because Mr. Hearn
wants to take the hat given to me by my wife and
cut it up because its not the right color.

I politely refuse again and Mr. Hearn goes on his
way, looking for more hats to replace and cut up...

[/end hypothetical example]

So you see, Mr. Hearn....in the above analogy you
could very easily turn off a supporter of white
and gold, because of a heavy handed approach
which does more harm than good.

My analogy above was hypothetical but is based in
accounts that I have heard from fellow Georgia
Tech alums.

Again...sometimes its not the message, but the
method, which turns people off and leads to ill will
and bad blood.

That's just my $0.02, don't take it for more than
that.

-CJ

This issue is sillier than 4 year old girls fighting over who gets to play with the pink Barbie car.

Facts: 1) We need a dark contrast color. It is good to standardize that. 2) Sometimes dark jerseys are necessary. 3) Nobody wants to change the official colors from white and gold.

Originally posted by ylojk8:

we have also been given the example of georgia which has its colors as red and black. well, they sport white jerseys regularly. what is that all about? they wear white jerseys for a reason i'm sure. nobody is making them wear white jerseys. they must think that it's to their advantage. doesn't bother them that their colors are red and black.

what about other sports? something like swimming? are our swimmers supposed to wear only white and gold? uniforms in those colors become see through when they get wet. how would you like your sisters and daughters wearing see through white swimsuits competing in an ACC event?

that doesn't mean that the ramblin wreck has to be repainted or your yatch Sir. at best, this is a petty issue in my eyes. not worth dividing our house over.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">-------------------------------------------------

First of all, I am responding "with all due respect" etc etc etc...

but...

with the first analogy above...about the white jerseys - are you serious ???? Thats the silliest example I have EVER seen.....To make an issue of WHITE (away) jerseys ????? Gimme a break...

Secondly, I have no idea how long you have been a Tech fan, but are you aware of the traditions at Tech, which are arguably the most remarkable traditions in all of college football ? Does that mean anything to you ?

Your second analogy....."See through problems" in SWIMMING ATTIRE ??????DID I READ THAT CORECTLY ?

again, I ask : are you serious ???????

"Petty" is in the eyes of the beholder...
As much as MR HEARN has done for Tech, he has every right to make an issue of whatever he wants..

And lets not forget---&gt; His main issue is the METHOD with which the colors are being determined ! Re-read his post !

Gold rush, those sound like serious issues to me.

White is not really a color at all, that's why UGA wears it instead of say, pink, on the road. For it to be one of the only 2 colors we can use is severely, and unnecessarily, limiting.

See-through swimsuits are not appropriate as required school unis.

Originally posted by Thomsonjacket:
very good post cracker, very well thought out
drinking.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I respect Mr. Hearn and his efforts to support
Tech. I'd shake his hand if we met in person
and I'll continue to advocate wearing white and
gold to all the Tech fans who will listen to me.

But I still wouldn't give him the blue hat that
my wife gave to me, if he asked for it...
grin.gif

Originally posted by Gold Rush:

First of all, I am responding "with all due respect" etc etc etc...

but...

with the first analogy above...about the white jerseys - are you serious ???? Thats the silliest example I have EVER seen.....To make an issue of WHITE (away) jerseys ????? Gimme a break...

Secondly, I have no idea how long you have been a Tech fan, but are you aware of the traditions at Tech, which are arguably the most remarkable traditions in all of college football ? Does that mean anything to you ?

Your second analogy....."See through problems" in SWIMMING ATTIRE ??????DID I READ THAT CORECTLY ?

"Petty" is in the eyes of the beholder...
As much as MR HEARN has done for Tech, he has every right to make an issue of whatever he wants..

And lets not forget---&gt; His main issue is the METHOD with which the colors are being determined ! Re-read his post !
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">first of all, thank you for extending respect to me. i don't know how much i deserve but thanks anyways .. lol

why is the white jersey worn by uga not a good anology? please expound. it's not red or black. it's more than 5% of the uniform. it's not merely an accent. an away uniform is also a uniform. we wear away uniforms as much as we wear home uniforms.

i have not been a tech fan for a long time but i do know a lot about traditions of tech. it means a lot to me .. that doesn't dilute the fact that tech needs a dark color for its uniforms and not just as an accent.

tech does sport a swimming and diving team. why isn't this important? i don't get it. i am serious. we don't want our swimmers to wear white trunks and swimsuits. they need a dark color and more than 5% of it. lets close the swimming program because tech only uses white and gold for its sports uniforms. again .. i am serious .. if you have an opposing argument .. please state it. yes you did read it correctly.

what about a sport like baseball? are you stating that tech won't have a dark uniform for baseball? we can't use gray because that's not an official color.

this is a petty issue in my eye. mr hearn has done a lot for the school, that's a fact. he can make an issue out of anything he wants, that's a fact. in my eyes, this is a petty issue, that's an opinion.

lastly, his biggest beef is how it was decided to adopt blue. that is a legitimate beef .. take that up.

Originally posted by ylojk8:

Yes, he's serious. But the point is moot. Competition swimwear is not available in anything but dark colors for the very reason he cited.

ylojk8,

Not intending to "pile on"
But UNC's color choice of light blue is a significant factor in the amount of merchandise that is sold.

For whatever reason, a large number of the hip-hop generation approves of baby blue for both gender's apparel. However, most of these people could not pick Dean Smith or UNC out of a line-up.

Color shades matter amongst fashion conscious 12-25 year olds. Read "those with discretionary cash"

More importantly, "branding" in collegiate athletics is closely tied to color uniformity.
That's the reason UA is the crimson tide, The gators worship orange and blue, and boise state has the blue field.

Color is as much or more of an identifier as a logo/trademark. There are people who when they see a team wearing silver britches they immediately think Georgia or Ohio State. That's branding.

Excessive use of blue will brand us as blue/gold.
Thus preventing our "brand" from being distinct from the Notre Dame, Marist High, and Thomas County Central.

In the south, if one sees gold, they should immediately think of GT. That's the entire point of a uniform color scheme.

Now when the bookstore doesn't check with the licensing office before ordering merchandise, there's a significant beauracracy issue that has existed since time began.

Back