Clarification of White & Gold

Originally posted by The Gnome of Zurich:
Here's a good one: When NC State built their new Coliseum (along with the Carolina Hurricane in Hockey), the "Seat Contractor" delivered 20,000 seats and started installing them in the new stadium. The problem was the seats were Red/Red instead of Red. So what was the solution to the problem? The school's solution and the only solution was, the seats were the wrong shade of Red and the contractor had to return the seats, order new ones, and install at the contractor's cost. Point being, colors do matter to most schools for a reason- Pride, etc. It may seem trivial but it's just an attitude that starts at the top and does filter down. I agree with Gen. Wood-the little things do add up.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Red/Red instead of Red? I don't get it.

Class of 1973 - (fully qualified voter here)

My Vote:

Old Gold
White
Dark Navy Blue

Stipulations:
1. Football - NEVER have blue pants.
2. Football - Never (again) combine white jerseys with white pants.
3. Football - Never combine gold jerseys with gold pants.
4. Football - Helments always gold. (I hated those white ones we had for a while.)

Originally posted by BEESerk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:
bullshit!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree!

You are full of it.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i thought you were supposed to ignore the posts of people you don't agree with and be the .. "bigger man".

stop junking up the board. you're supposed to be the self appointed janitor.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by BEESerk:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ylojk8:
bullshit!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree!

You are full of it.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i thought you were supposed to ignore the posts of people you don't agree with and be the .. "bigger man".

stop junking up the board. you're supposed to be the self appointed janitor.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">LOL! You are right, but my response had nothing to do with a debate that had been going on ad naseum 9 months. Sometimes people lob a softball at you, and you gotta go send it to the yard.

Somebody has to be the janitor around here, otherwise every other thread would involve you and the others who want to argue over Chan.

Originally posted by BEESerk:

LOL! You are right, but my response had nothing to do with a debate that had been going on ad naseum 9 months. Sometimes people lob a softball at you, and you gotta go send it to the yard.

Somebody has to be the janitor around here, otherwise every other thread would involve you and the others who want to argue over Chan.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">you crack me up.

my response had nothing to do with a debate that's been going on ad nauseam for 9 months+ either.

somebody thinks that he has to be a janitor around here and thinks he's doing a good job of it. but then he also thinks that telling someone that he's full of bullshit is hitting a softball yard. so there's the qualifier on his thinking right there.

we have a thread going on where people are discussing tech's official colors. instead of telling me that i'm full of bullshit, why don't you expound on what your position is and join the discussion? or at the very least, after stating that i'm full of bullshit, why don't you let me know why?

"i'm beeserk .. the janitor .. you're full of bullshit .. &lt;peering the horizon for the softball going yard&gt;"

LOL

shouldn't you be busy organizing a campaign for tech alumni and donors to stop contributing to the gtaa and instead send in something like 34 cent checks? that'll keep you happy and busy.

Thank you Mr. Hearn. This is a wonderful point, but it still leads back to the OVERALL PROBLEM of the GTAA, which is their complete negligence in trying to establish solid communication with the alumni.
Fix that... and the official color scheme is fixed as well.

Thanks Mr. Hearn. Traditions should not changed by people like Braine.

Ylo, give it up. Nobody cares about swimming. Since we don't want to hurt anybody's sister's self-esteem, we could always pass an exception clause so the janitor, the only one required to attend a meet, won't get to sneak a peek through whitey tighties.

One thing hopefully we can ALL AGREE ON, is the definition of gold. No more cheddar, Univ. of Tennessee tainted gold resembling orange. No more puke yellow. No more pale, washed out greenish gold. IT IS OLD GOLD!!!

Mr. Hearn states:
"Apparently, Paul Hewitt says that he can't recruit unless he can wear dark uniforms. Accordingly, we "Scrap" a one hundred and eleven year old tradition so Hewitt can bring in basketball players who stay at Tech one year and go to the NBA like happened this year, and the other players who have left."

The above is a very poor comment and I am disappointed that Mr. Hearn made it. It is nothing more than a thinly veiled attack on a GT student-athlete. Shame on you Mr. Hearn!! Personally, I hope you never post here again.

Chris Bosh made a decision that netted him $10 million dollars guaranteed. I would have made the same decision. Chris is one of the most respectful SA's I had ever met at GT and to denegrate him for making a smart business decision is classless.

One thing Hewitt has done very well is bring in excellent student-athletes. Our players are on track to graduate and represent the Institute well both on and off the court.

As far as the matter at hand I am for white and gold uniforms (and the Institute needs to decide on one shade) with blue trim. Old White and Gold without any accent color simply does not look good.

RamblinRed

RR, for the 1st time I have to disagree with you! Mr. Hearns comments about our Roundball was right on target. Mr Hewitt has not brought in players that have won at Tech and I for one would not change my uni's for him or anyone. He is also correct about our players going pro after a year or so Bosh stated as I recall he would be here for the entire time or something of that nature. So show him the buck and he's gone and I hope soon Hewitt follows him and we can return to winning in roundball.

oldfoggy, worst post I've ever seen from you man. First, that's a lot of venom against Hewitt. He's considered one of the best young coaches in the country and I'm behind him completely. Bosh intended to stay at Tech when he signed. Suddenly he was the 3rd pick in the NBA draft. He would have been stupid to come back to school. Only bad things could have happended to him. To suggest that he should suggests you have no concern for the SAs who come to Tech, only for our record while they are here.

And finally, I think that the majority of alums and students would vote for blue trim as an official color. And I'd go so far as to say that a vast majority of students would vote for an occassional blue jersey, or blue basketball uniform for a break from tradition. What about grey for baseball? What about pinstripes? What color baseball cap should we use white? gold? both look like crap IMO. Let's get real about this, the most important issue should be picking a color of gold and sticking to it. Use of other colors is no big deal if we get that fixed.

White, Gold, Blue, Black, Brown, Green.....who the hell cares? Let's play ball!!!! GO JACKETS

Ylo,

I made my comments concerning this subject in the same thread over on The Hive. You can go read them there.

As far as .34 checks, I have no idea what you are talking about.

The only thing I will add to this discussion is that the comments concernig Hewitt and Bosh were way out of line.

NCJ, I did not mean my post to spew venom. I have seen three years of Mr. Hewitt and to date nothing he has put on the floor of the AMC has impressed me. Sure he went to the NCAA but with BC's recruits. What I was trying to post was that Mr. Hearn is correct. We don't need to change our uni's for PH or anyone, when I was a kid back in the 40's and saw my 1st Tech game they were white and gold and through my entire life of well over 60 years it's been white and gold. As for the record I want Tech to win and win big but some of my best feelings in life have been when Tech was defeated but they left everything they had on the field.

Who cares what the swim team wears! Nobody. Mr Hearn has been fighting for Old Gold and White for a long time. But Drew, I know that is not your only campaign and gripe with the current AA. Keep up the mantra Drew, I am right there with you so that we can fill up our new $55MM stadium one day.

Thank you Ramblin Red. It was also Mr.Hearn, from what I have heard, that wanted Carson's ouster just so we could get a "Tech Man" as coach. I have no doubt he probably favored curry over Spurrier & lewis over Ralph, but not sure.

I would like to expand the following statement I made in an earlier post for this thread:

"I could care less if a coach states he cannot recruit unless he has a certain color of uniform. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard."

Since other posts have thrown some flak at Hewitt, I want to make it clear, I was not attempting to discredit Hewitt. My statement was addressed to anyone making such a comment.

It was the idea of the statement and not the one making the statement. The idea behind the statement is ridiculous.

I believe if an athlete likes the coach, the school, his chances to play, etc, the color is insignificant. If a player turns down Tech because we don't offer the right colors, I would just as soon not have him. He would think more of himself than the team.

Father Time

Like I said before, you guys either don't have teenagers, dont' hang around them or just don't care to figure them out. Kids like what's cool. When a coach says I'm from ____ what pops into the kid's mind will have a lot to do with the rest of the conversation. Several years back there was a run of GT sightings on network TV, kids wearing hats, etc. on shows - they were not the pure gold and white stuff. When kids watch a game they notice how teams look. The current players specifically asked to be allowed to wear black. It does matter to high school and college kids. So we are now saying if he doesn't like just gold and white we don't want him/her?

Nobody is suggesting we go away from white and gold. Just that you can deviate strategically and make the unis more attractive which will catch the eye of kids and should translate into more $$$ in merchandise sales. Or we can be purists and bitch about our marketing and recruting and ignore some of the reasons we have problems in those areas.

And for the record, I think gold and white are great. But not JUST gold and white. We need an accent color when wearing white jerseys. And I do like the idea of blue jerseys every now and then, kind of a throwback approach. The Wreck is white and gold, the cheerleaders and band are, the primary color for all uniforms (except swimming
wink.gif
) are, so what's the big deal about a little variety to spice things up.

As I've said before, what's more important is figuring out what our gold is supposed to be.

Originally posted by kirbee:
This issue is sillier than 4 year old girls fighting over who gets to play with the pink Barbie car.

Facts: 1) We need a dark contrast color. It is good to standardize that. 2) Sometimes dark jerseys are necessary. 3) Nobody wants to change the official colors from white and gold.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">
hitit.gif

EXACTLY.

If I can link this thread from the Hive, the official statement seems eminently reasonable to me.

Link

Back