Coach Brent Key

I did define the measurables and you chose to ignore that post. Once again of the bottom 3 OL recruits that have no P5 offers:

1- shut his recruitment down in April after he committed, and is invited to play in the Blue-Gray All-American game. I am certain he would have other P5 offers if he were entertaining them

1- has the measurables we need at 6'7" 270 with an athletic frame that can take more weight. We need these tall, long-armed OT body types.

1- was originally part of a package deal that isn't happening any more.

Speculation is we may not be taking one of those.

So measurables are a) people who shut down their recruitment, b) guys who can put on weight, c) guys who are part of package deals. Ok, got it.

Should I delete this post in 1 hour so other P-5 recruiters don't get tipped off?

So measurables are a) people who shut down their recruitment, b) guys who can put on weight, c) guys who are part of package deals. Ok, got it.

Should I delete this post in 1 hour so other P-5 recruiters don't get tipped off?
Jesus dude, you're not being a troll, just a prick. I told you which guy we were recruiting on measurables and what those measurables are. Measurables = things that can be measured. Height and weight. We need guys of a particular height and weight. The other 2 I explained our situation with them. You're just being obtuse.

Also, for reference:

upload_2019-11-11_6-43-8.png

Why so many decreases?

I honestly can believe where this thread went. Some people just don't want to be happy and want to be the first to say that something or someone suxs. They never admit it when they were wrong and act like "aw shucks, I was just talking and didn't mean it the way you took it".

Troll is right.

And since you brought the P5 offers thing into this, let me break this down for you just a little bit more.

2015 - 27 recruits, 19 with P5 offers - 70.4%
2016 - 18 recruits, 11 with P5 offers - 61.1%
2017 - 24 recruits, 13 with P5 offers - 54.2%
2018 - 24 recruits, 15 with P5 offers - 62.5%
2020 - 23 recruits, 19 with P5 offers - 82.6%

Like I said about 2020, rumors that 2 in that class may not sign, that moves it up to 90.5%. We will probably also sign about 25-26 and I haven't seen any targets that do not have multiple P5 offers.

I skipped 2019 because that was the cycle in which we had guys recruited by both coaches, but let's break that down too:

2019 CPJ - 12 recruits, 10 with P5 offers - 83.3%
2019 CGC - 9 recruits, 9 with P5 offers - 100%

There were the 2 linemen that we did not take in the 2019 class recruited by CPJ's staff and they did have P5 offers, so that would've put him at 12/14 for 85.7%, but this was also in December, and he had about 2 months max to finish that class out. I don't remember even having any more targets in that class, so we would likely be finishing out that class with lower rated guys.

Jesus dude, you're not being a troll, just a prick. I told you which guy we were recruiting on measurables and what those measurables are. Measurables = things that can be measured. Height and weight. We need guys of a particular height and weight. The other 2 I explained our situation with them. You're just being obtuse.

Measurables used to go beyond that, I suspect they go way beyond what they used to. Back in the day, wrist circumference was a popular one to judge skeletal frame, shoe size and head circumference could be added in there; and for some positions hand size was important. Then there is quickness, speed, etc.. None of those were highly accurate; but were simply predictors. Thing is I don't know how we can sit here on a message board and say player X has 'measurables' but player Y does not; but that seems to be a common go to answer.

And since you brought the P5 offers thing into this, let me break this down for you just a little bit more.

2015 - 27 recruits, 19 with P5 offers - 70.4%
2016 - 18 recruits, 11 with P5 offers - 61.1%
2017 - 24 recruits, 13 with P5 offers - 54.2%
2018 - 24 recruits, 15 with P5 offers - 62.5%
2020 - 23 recruits, 19 with P5 offers - 82.6%

Like I said about 2020, rumors that 2 in that class may not sign, that moves it up to 90.5%. We will probably also sign about 25-26 and I haven't seen any targets that do not have multiple P5 offers.

I skipped 2019 because that was the cycle in which we had guys recruited by both coaches, but let's break that down too:

2019 CPJ - 12 recruits, 10 with P5 offers - 83.3%
2019 CGC - 9 recruits, 9 with P5 offers - 100%

There were the 2 linemen that we did not take in the 2019 class recruited by CPJ's staff and they did have P5 offers, so that would've put him at 12/14 for 85.7%, but this was also in December, and he had about 2 months max to finish that class out. I don't remember even having any more targets in that class, so we would likely be finishing out that class with lower rated guys.

Are you sure that is right? I was told CPJ was a lazy recruiter and I've been told the majority of our current roster aren't P-5 quality players.

Thing is I don't know how we can sit here on a message board and say player X has 'measurables' but player Y does not; but that seems to be a common go to answer.
Because with OL, specifically OT, measurables are much simpler. You have to have height and length (long arms/wingspan equal to or usually greater than your height), and the frame to move 300+ lbs of weight to effectively block edge rushers. It does not matter your quickness, foot speed, wrist size, head circumference, or shoe size if you are only 6'2" with narrow hips and shoulders. I would be willing to bet that you don't see us sign an offensive tackle under 6'5" with this staff unless he is an absolute stud OL and then 6'4" is probably the floor for OT. Possibly see a 6'3"guard here and there and maybe a 6'2" center but 6'4" is probably where we want to keep the normal floor at C and G except for the occasional stud athlete.

Are you sure that is right? I was told CPJ was a lazy recruiter and I've been told the majority of our current roster aren't P-5 quality players.
Once again you're exaggerating what people are saying. I can go much further if you wish. There are about 4-5 of those on there under the CPJ years that never played a down at GT and are not playing P5 football now either. There are also many with only one or two P5 offers from teams like Illinois or Vanderbilt. Those numbers give the benefit of the doubt in those situations to prior years and make them look much better. But once again you're changing your argument and moving the goalposts. I never have said that we don't have P5 talent on our roster, but you were initially arguing that we aren't bringing in anything better than we have in the past decade. Just because people report that we are recruiting and bringing in higher caliber players than we have in the past isn't a sleight against our current team. It's just fact.

I honestly can believe where this thread went. Some people just don't want to be happy and want to be the first to say that something or someone suxs. They never admit it when they were wrong and act like "aw shucks, I was just talking and didn't mean it the way you took it".

Troll is right.

I big cried myself in the post that started this. I figured that was an obvious clue that I was trolling. However, I try to make it a point to try not to disparage an individual player or recruit directly. There is no reason any of these recruits, OR THE PREVIOUS RECRUITS, can not step up and be productive when properly coached. I figure a coach is getting $300K to coach the OL, $200K to bring in top recruits, and $100K to deal people being critical on the internet.

Last edited:
I big cried myself in the post that started this. I figured that was an obvious clue that I was trolling. However, I try to make it a point to try not to disparage an individual player or recruit directly. The is no reason any of these recruits, OR THE PREVIOUS RECRUITS, can not step up and be productive when properly coached. I figure a coach is getting $300K to coach the OL, $200K to bring in top recruits, and $100K to deal people being critical on the internet.

Well, if you are objective and fair, when you looked at the GT roster there were 2 things missing that every other team in the ACC has: a Pro-pass QB and Pro-Pass OT. They weren't needed in the old scheme and therefore they were not on the roster.

You also had a program that sure wasn't known for playing Defense or ST at a high level so it wasn't like some situations where you can rely on Defense during an offensive transition or vice versa.

Lastly, basically for the last 3 weeks we have played like an average ACC team which is what GT has been for 4 seasons. Pitt and UVA are above average and we were in the games late.

We should have beat the Citadel and if we had a re-match with Temple likely win. Other than that, it is what it is and the season played out as expected.

I big cried myself in the post that started this. I figured that was an obvious clue that I was trolling. However, I try to make it a point to try not to disparage an individual player or recruit directly. There is no reason any of these recruits, OR THE PREVIOUS RECRUITS, can not step up and be productive when properly coached. I figure a coach is getting $300K to coach the OL, $200K to bring in top recruits, and $100K to deal people being critical on the internet.

Do you seriously believe that 2-3 star talent can be coached to beat 4-5 star talent?

Do you seriously believe that 2-3 star talent can be coached to beat 4-5 star talent?

Well, that is what we are counting on, and yes I think they can. You did catch that we don't have any 4-5 star OL coming in at this point right?

Well, that is what we are counting on, and yes I think they can. You did catch that we don't have any 4-5 star OL coming in at this point right?
I want to see where anybody said we'd have 4-5 star OL coming in this early? Like I said before, you have to start early relationships with those guys, OL and DL because they get recruited for a long time. We already are and will recruit much better on the lines, but I don't think anybody has said we'll be bringing in only 4 and 5 star OL.

Let's look at the 2020 recruits across the board:

2020 OG:
5* - 0
4* - 13

Of those 13, one is from the state of GA, Paul Tchio, who has been committed to Clemson since November 2018. One guy from Florida commited to Miami in July 2018, then flipped to Oregon, and is now expected to flip back to Miami. One more from TN that is committed to Clemson. Those are the only 3 near us, not saying we can't or don't recruit from farther away, but it's usually much harder to get the guys from farther away. Another note, a 3* but sitting at number 14 on the list is Tate Johnson who we were in it with til the end when he committed to Auburn, and depending on what ends up happening there and if Gus gets canned, he could be one to see us press for.

2020 OT:
5* - 3
4* - 33

Late on all of the 5 stars but we got one (maybe 2?) on campus to visit anyway. The first 4* guy is from GA but has been committed to the Dwags since April 2018. Some guys from FL you may remember: Marcus Dumervil - staff offered him in January this year and got him to campus. Connor McLaughlin we were in it with him also but he ended up going with Stanford which I believe was his dream school. He's still been re-tweeting some GT stuff, guys that have committed here, etc. Joshua Braun, know his story. Javion Cohen from AL, another we were in on strong that seems to be in a fight between Auburn and Bama right now. That's about all from the area.

2020 C:
5* - 0
4* - 5

None of the 4* from the state of GA. A lot of C's are evaluated as G's.

So that's 54 total 4-5* OL in this recruiting cycle. Of those, only about 5 from GA, 10-15 total from the southeast. We had a legitimate shot at 4-5 of those guys. It takes time and building relationships. I expect we will start winning some of those battles.

I want to see where anybody said we'd have 4-5 star OL coming in this early? Like I said before, you have to start early relationships with those guys, OL and DL because they get recruited for a long time. We already are and will recruit much better on the lines, but I don't think anybody has said we'll be bringing in only 4 and 5 star OL.

Let's look at the 2020 recruits across the board:

2020 OG:
5* - 0
4* - 13

Of those 13, one is from the state of GA, Paul Tchio, who has been committed to Clemson since November 2018. One guy from Florida commited to Miami in July 2018, then flipped to Oregon, and is now expected to flip back to Miami. One more from TN that is committed to Clemson. Those are the only 3 near us, not saying we can't or don't recruit from farther away, but it's usually much harder to get the guys from farther away. Another note, a 3* but sitting at number 14 on the list is Tate Johnson who we were in it with til the end when he committed to Auburn, and depending on what ends up happening there and if Gus gets canned, he could be one to see us press for.

2020 OT:
5* - 3
4* - 33

Late on all of the 5 stars but we got one (maybe 2?) on campus to visit anyway. The first 4* guy is from GA but has been committed to the Dwags since April 2018. Some guys from FL you may remember: Marcus Dumervil - staff offered him in January this year and got him to campus. Connor McLaughlin we were in it with him also but he ended up going with Stanford which I believe was his dream school. He's still been re-tweeting some GT stuff, guys that have committed here, etc. Joshua Braun, know his story. Javion Cohen from AL, another we were in on strong that seems to be in a fight between Auburn and Bama right now. That's about all from the area.

2020 C:
5* - 0
4* - 5

None of the 4* from the state of GA. A lot of C's are evaluated as G's.

So that's 54 total 4-5* OL in this recruiting cycle. Of those, only about 5 from GA, 10-15 total from the southeast. We had a legitimate shot at 4-5 of those guys. It takes time and building relationships. I expect we will start winning some of those battles.

That's great; but in the meanwhile we will have to coach up the 3* players we have and are getting and win with them.

So what is your point, are you just confirming that some of them do not have P5 offers? Seems pretty typical of most of our recruiting classes over the past decade.
Very typical. Totally the same. Cuz 25 equals 60. At least the same order of magnitude

Back