Coach Brent Key

The majority of our commits have multiple power 5 offers and a lot from powers.

So what is your point, are you just confirming that some of them do not have P5 offers? Seems pretty typical of most of our recruiting classes over the past decade.

You can look them up I suppose. Whatever they are they aren't attracting P5 schools.
We have 7 OL commits.

-4 have several other P5 offers
-1 shut his recruitment down after he committed in April. Invited to play in Blue-Gray All-American Bowl. Probably would have other P5 offers now.
-1 is a 6'7" athletic OT and we're looking to build height and length. Many consider him extremely under-rated also.
-1 is a guy that may not have been as high on our board but we were taking him in what was supposed to be a package deal with a TE currently committed elsewhere. We've moved on from that recruit apparently so not sure how this one will play out.

It's been stated that we likely only end up with 6 OL in the class.

So what is your point, are you just confirming that some of them do not have P5 offers? Seems pretty typical of most of our recruiting classes over the past decade.
It's not even close to typical of our recruiting classes over the past decade. We have 4 out of 23 guys on the current commit list that do not have P5 offers. 3 of those are OL where we are having to recruit an extreme need. 1 is a LB from Virginia that re-classified as a Senior right when he committed so nobody else had been recruiting him yet. Of those 4 I predict that probably 2 of them do not sign with GT. So now down to only 2 of our class without P5 offers. In the past decade it's been about half or more. You're making wild half-ass assumptions without any data to back it up.

We are recruiting OL that have no other P5 offers. I thought those days were over.

:bigcry:

Can't let this "bad take hall of fame" type post slide. We have 7 OL commits this year, 4 of which have P5 offers. FWIW, there are rumors that one of the lightly recruited ones may no longer be a take. Here is the breakdown.

2020:
Paula Vaipulu: 5 offers in addition to GT (Arizona, Boston College, Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers)
Michael Rankins: 8 (Auburn, Duke, FSU, Illinois, Indiana, Miami, Minnesota, Pitt)
Trent Howard: 5 (Boston College, Miami, Mississippi St., Maryland, Wake Forest)
Jordan Williams: 5 (Duke, Indiana, NC State, Syracuse, Vanderbilt)
Cade Koots: Zero
Ryan Spiers: Zero
Wing Green: Zero
Total: 23 P5 offers. Even with 3 guys with none, that's an average of over 3 P5 offers per recruit.

2019 before coaching change:
Joshua Black: 3 (Louisville, South Carolina, Wake Forest. Worth noting he was rated as a DT)
Larry Dowdy: 1 (Virginia, but ended up signing at App St.)
Total: 4 P5 offers

2018:
Michael Maye: 1 (Nebraska)
Harrison Jump: Zero
Zakk McKeehan: Zero (No FBS offers at all and is now playing at Nicholls State)
Total: 1 P5 offer

2017:
Charlie Clark: Zero
Mike Minihan: Zero
Conor Hansen: Zero
Zach Quinney: 5 (Cincinnati, MS State, NC State, UNC, Wake Forest)
Total: 5 P5 offers for one guy. 75 percent of the OL class had zero

To the extent we have taken reaches this year, it is because we have literally started multiple walk-ons on the OL and needed able bodies.

Last edited:
Can't let this "bad take hall of fame" type post slide. We have 7 OL commits this year, 4 of which have P5 offers. FWIW, there are rumors that one of the lightly recruited ones may no longer be a take. Here is the breakdown.

2020:
Paula Vaipulu: 5 offers in addition to GT (Arizona, Boston College, Missouri, Nebraska, Rutgers)
Michael Rankins: 8 (Auburn, Duke, FSU, Illinois, Indiana, Miami, Minnesota, Pitt)
Total: 23 P5 offers

Joshua Black: 3 (Louisville, South Carolina, Wake Forest. Worth noting he was rated as a DT)

2018:

2017:

To the extent we have taken reaches this year, it is because we have literally started multiple walk-ons on the OL and needed able bodies.
Thank you for doing this because I was about to do it for him. It's amazing how uninformed some people are that just throw around ridiculously false statements.

It's not even close to typical of our recruiting classes over the past decade. We have 4 out of 23 guys on the current commit list that do not have P5 offers. 3 of those are OL where we are having to recruit an extreme need. 1 is a LB from Virginia that re-classified as a Senior right when he committed so nobody else had been recruiting him yet. Of those 4 I predict that probably 2 of them do not sign with GT. So now down to only 2 of our class without P5 offers. In the past decade it's been about half or more. You're making wild half-ass assumptions without any data to back it up.

Actually, I am looking right at the data. I don't see any 4-5 star OL recruits and a few OL recruits with no other P5 offers. Maybe we flip a guy headed to a power between now and signing day; but maybe we don't. I see 1 OL recruit with an offer from a P5 team currently in the top 10, so that is different for us. iiwii

Thank you for doing this because I was about to do it for him. It's amazing how uninformed some people are that just throw around ridiculously false statements.

Hehe. We have to go all the way back to 2016 and factor in Braun's 15 offers to match the number of P5 offers for this year's OL class. If anybody wants to say they are disappointed we didn't get Tate Johnson, Conor McLaughlin and Javion Cohen, I am right there with them. But to say it isn't a clear upgrade isn't credible.

Actually, I am looking right at the data. I don't see any 4-5 star OL recruits and a few OL recruits with no other P5 offers. Maybe we flip a guy headed to a power between now and signing day; but maybe we don't. I see 1 OL recruit with an offer from a P5 team currently in the top 10, so that is different for us. iiwii
Maybe you should go read smokey_wasp's post to see what is different for us.

EDIT: And to start with, you said "We're recruiting OL with no P5 offers, I thought those days were over."

Now it's "I don't see any 4-5 star OL recruits" and "OL with an offer from a P5 team in the top 10."

Keep moving those goalposts buddy.

2020:
Cade Koots: Zero
Ryan Spiers: Zero
Wing Green: Zero
Total: 23 P5 offers. Even with 3 guys with none, that's an average of over 3 P5 offers per recruit.

2018:

2017:

Remember those posts earlier this year where we weren't going to be taking ANY players who don't have other P5 offers? We are supposed to poaching Bama and Clemson, not non-P5 schools. That is what I was referring to. You guys have short memories of the lofty goals set for this coaching staff.

Hehe. We have to go all the way back to 2016 and factor in Braun's 15 offers to match the number of P5 offers for this year's OL class. If anybody wants to say they are disappointed we didn't get Tate Johnson, Conor McLaughlin and Javion Cohen, I am right there with them. But to say it isn't a clear upgrade isn't credible.
Exactly. Also, OL and DL are the positions you have to start early relationships with people to get the higher rated guys. We were still behind the 8 ball even on the 2020 class for both OL and DL and I still think we're getting some good OL. Hopefully we can get a good DL or 2 before it's all said and done. It should only get better from here.

Remember those posts earlier this year where we weren't going to be taking ANY players who don't have other P5 offers? We are supposed to poaching Bama and Clemson, not non-P5 schools. That is what I was referring to. You guys have short memories of the lofty goals set for this coaching staff.
Please link those posts. You are taking one extreme to the other. I'm sure people have stated we'll be competing with the Clemson's and Alabama's not poaching from non-P5 schools but that doesn't necessarily mean 100% will be. In a few years it probably will be that way though.

I get that you have this unyielding desire to defend the current players and that is ok. It’s also ok to say that the new coaching staff is overall recruiting a better caliber of players. That isn’t a slight to the current players as each of them is fully aware of the recruiting game and each did their best to play the best hand they were dealt. This moving around to different metrics to say that the recruits are no better than what the last staff pulled is not a good look though.

I get that you have this unyielding desire to defend the current players and that is ok. It’s also ok to say that the new coaching staff is overall recruiting a better caliber of players. That isn’t a slight to the current players as each of them is fully aware of the recruiting game and each did their best to play the best hand they were dealt. This moving around to different metrics to say that the recruits are no better than what the last staff pulled is not a good look though.

The best defense of our previous recruiting, particularly OL, is the system fit argument that we were simply looking for different body types and skill sets than every other P5 team and it is thus unfair to compare them. I am willing to call a truce there, myself. But if somebody wants to really do those comparisons in an effort to play Debbie Downer on our current recruiting, we can go there.

I don't think I've said that, maybe it was unintentionally implied. Our top OL recruits are definitely better/different than what we've gotten in the past, the bottom recruits people keep bringing up (but not defining) 'measureables' as if other P5 schools don't understand 'measurables'. Big gripe on here has been that CPJ's recruits only other offers were from Elon or other non-P5 schools, that's what I'm poking/trolling.

"the recruits are no better than what the last staff pulled is"
I don't think I've said that
I see 1 OL recruit with an offer from a P5 team currently in the top 10, so that is different for us.
So out of all this data, you only see one OL that is different than in the past, yet you are not saying the recruits are no better than what the last staff pulled in?

the bottom recruits people keep bringing up (but not defining) 'measureables' as if other P5 schools don't understand 'measurables'.
I did define the measurables and you chose to ignore that post. Once again of the bottom 3 OL recruits that have no P5 offers:

1- shut his recruitment down in April after he committed, and is invited to play in the Blue-Gray All-American game. I am certain he would have other P5 offers if he were entertaining them

1- has the measurables we need at 6'7" 270 with an athletic frame that can take more weight. We need these tall, long-armed OT body types.

1- was originally part of a package deal that isn't happening any more.

Speculation is we may not be taking one of those.

Back