Coach Collins Press Conference

SMoney

Dodd-Like
Realize this isn't apples to apples. I have trained multiple German Shepherds in my adult life. Hard headed dogs, but extremely smart, strong and athletic. Trainers are very passionate as to whether positive reinforcement or negative reinforcement is a better training mechanism. I believe there is not one size fits all. Different dogs need different methods. Mine have always responded better and quicker to corrective actions versus positive actions, but that doesn't make it right. You have to be adaptable.

Employees are similar - you need to adapt our leadership style to the needs of your employee. Many need constant praise, many don't. Many need constant correction, many don't.

I believe there are players who are sitting on the sidelines wishing Collins would lay into someone for a mistake that they made. Being a players coach is preferable when you aren't the one getting yelled at, but when you are sitting on the sideline thinking you should be on the field and you see players stay out there after making mistakes and getting patted on the back, that has to have an impact on overall performance.

gtfan1147

Dodd-Like
Same. I'd also like to hear the post-Clemson radio show, which still hasn't hit the podcast feed...

JRjr
Post-Clemson is on GT Athletics YouTube. I think all pre and post ones are except post-Syracuse and post-BC.

gt2690b

PB time!
He keeps talking about the coaches pouring themselves into the program.. what does that mean they show up for work? I’d expect that for what they are getting paid but at some point you have to look at the results and they are behind where they should be

agt45

Distinguished Gentleman
I’m shocked no one has asked him about (one) still no FG kicking game which led to (two) that idiotic fake punt from the BC 30 yard line.

ibeeballin

Dodd-Like
Haven't listened yet, but I'm looking forward to hearing a Collins presser that actually deviates from the norm.
You’re going to be disappointed. This is not CPJ who is also the OC. The real info and accountability piece are with CDP & CAT

The Champ

Dodd-Like
What bothers me is that he trashes CPJ and the level of his recruits and then goes on to say that he loves his players (including the one inherited from CPJ). He acts like CPJ destroyed the program. Dude took us to two Orange Bowls...
I don’t think he’s trashing the players, just noting that they were recruited for a different system and it becomes a square peg-round hole situation.

MidnightJacket

Damn Good Rat
I don’t think he’s trashing the players, just noting that they were recruited for a different system and it becomes a square peg-round hole situation.
Yeah, I don't know how anyone would take it as anything but, unless you're just looking for reasons to dislike Collins or are super sensitive with your man love for PJ. I think it's a fair assessment of the situation that didn't knock on anyone involved.

Old-Fashioned UGA Hater

Varsity Lurker
What bothers me is that he trashes CPJ and the level of his recruits and then goes on to say that he loves his players (including the one inherited from CPJ). He acts like CPJ destroyed the program. Dude took us to two Orange Bowls...
I mean if your stating facts he did take us to 2 Orange bowls in in his decade plus. He also gave us our first two losing seasons since the Bill Lewis mess. He walked away from the program when he saw the decline in the program. It wasn't always moon pies and penny whistles.

And can you give me an example of how he trashes CPJ's players?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
He went out of his way to say that it isn't about one way being good or bad, just that what he is trying to build is a polar opposite (which is, in fact, what his boss hired him to do). I do get why people are annoyed with how he doesn't talk many specifics, but we get that from the coordinators.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
The exchange between CGC and KQ seems to be getting a little overblown. The question did not seem to be posed as a criticism, but rather a fair question about coaching style, specifically sideline interactions with players during the game lacking the hostility of some other coaches. CGC was very opinionated about the idea that demeaning players on the sideline during the game was not productive and was done mostly by coaches who want to act out to satisfy disgruntled fans and to deflect blame away from the coaches. He said that the Tech coaches are more energized in their interactions on practice days, but doing it on TV is degrading to the players and ends up being counterproductive. I didn't get the feeling that his emotional response was an attack against KQ's question, but rather just an answer he feels passionate about. Reporters love to ask questions that get the coach emotional, so I think everyone was happy with how it turned out.