Coach Pelton interviewing with OU

It was not long ago when Al Groh was making 300k as DC. Tenuta used to make $550k as DC and that was one of the higher salaries in the nation. Assistant pay has gotten crazy.

In the late 90's, Coach Friedgen was making $200k, and was the top assistant in the ACC at the time. And that was for the arguably biggest Assistant spot available, offensive coordinator, not DL coach.

I hope he stays. Continuity is always the best thing for recruiting, and I think Pelton did an impressive job this year considering we had 4 scholarship DTs - only 1 of which had taken many meaningful game snaps. Toss in having to play a true frosh at WDE and it's actually remarkable that we fielded a respectable unit. I really want to see what he can do this year with Hunt (presumably) becoming eligible again and the experience we have returning.

OU has a bigger name, but how much does that really matter to a DL coach? Our program is in a better place at the moment anyway. I can see why they would want him - decent results and ties to the SE for recruiting. I imagine it will come down to $, hopefully we match any offers.

All this being said, it's a good thing when other teams are after your assistants. It means your winning and the country is taking notice.

Back in the early 1900s, John Heisman, the legend himself, had a salary of $2,250.

These öööö spoiled kids have it too good.

We win 2 games at best next year.

You drink anymore kool-aid and you'll drown in it. You don't see the cup as half full, you see it as overflowing. Why don't you take your unbridled optimism to another thread. This thread is for those who can see the obvious fact that if Pelton leaves we might as well run an 0-0-12 defense.

All this being said, it's a good thing when other teams are after your assistants. It means your winning and the country is taking notice.

Pretty much this. It stinks, but it comes with the territory of success.

I certainly hope Pelton stays, but with the foundation that CPJ and CTR have laid, I think we will be just fine. Our HC/OC and DC are entrenched and happy to be at GT. We'll be fine and find a capable replacement for Pelton if he decides to move on. The biggest loss will be any recruiting relationships he was working on for 2016 and beyond.

Back in the early 1900s, John Heisman, the legend himself, had a salary of $2,250.

These öööö spoiled kids have it too good.

He also got a part of the take of the gate. Great reason why we expanded the stadium under Heisman.

Not so sure OU is an upgrade from GT, another year like last and Stoops may be shown the door.

1In the late 90's, Coach Friedgen was making $200k, and was the top assistant in the ACC at the time. And that was for the arguably biggest Assistant spot available, offensive coordinator, not DL coach..

enough with the fat jokes, show a little respect

Tech doesn't have to pay an OC, so there should be some money to go around, right? I hope they at least try to match OU's offer.

So why are we stressing over this? DL was the weak link on this team

So why are we stressing over this? DL was the weak link on this team

Of the 17 DL we had in 2013, only 7 returned for 2014. So 7 non-true-frosh DL. Only 1 returning DL starter. 4 scholarship DTs. A true frosh WDE starting.

it-could-have-been-worse-samuel-l-jackson-gif1.gif

Right, the DL hasn't been good, but we haven't had the bodies, no fault of Pelton's. He recruited us some good DL this year but it's not like his recruiting has been amazing. So it's unclear to me how good a coach Pelton is.

They roll that salary allocation into Johnson's healthy contract

Johnson's contract is very much inline with his peers. In fact, all the big wins this year were against coaches who make more than he does.

If Tech had an OC, making what Roof makes, then CPJ, according to your logic, should only be making around $2M. That would put him way below market value.

Back