Coaches that are as good as fired in 2011

Tom O'Brien only has one year left in his contract. Plus, I think they need to realize that they're just not meant to be a top tier program.
Full disclosure: PTCJacket is a UNC homer

Not Groh...so guessing you mean't Gill of Kansas after allowing 70 more points today.

The old UM coach that currently coaches Florida Atlantic...can't remember how to spell the name Schellenburger or some such.

Other teams that come to mind: UCLA, Memphis, New Mexico and Tulane.

Minnesota head coach Jerry Kill. They have the worst team in the FBS.

Full disclosure: PTCJacket is a UNC homer

And I'm still correct, nevertheless. Sure, they'll have a good season every now and then (last year for example), but their fanbase thinks that they're too good to hire coaches like Mike Leach and Ken Niuwhatshislastname, so they'll remain as a bottom tier program as long as they have that mentality.

Not Groh...so guessing you mean't Gill of Kansas after allowing 70 more points today.

The old UM coach that currently coaches Florida Atlantic...can't remember how to spell the name Schellenburger or some such.

Other teams that come to mind: UCLA, Memphis, New Mexico and Tulane.

Believe he has already announced he is retiring.

Believe he has already announced he is retiring.

Sorry, just trying to be funny on Gill's behalf. Believe Groh's retirement is tied to the end of his UVA bail out dollars and since he is an assistant was attempting humor while going back to head coaches. Everyone thought Gill would make a great coach after what he did at Buffalo and except for defeating us last year has been horrendous. Question for him is whether or not Kansas can afford the buy out.

First year, he can still blame it on the previous coach's recruits. They might be as good as Kansas.

Nah, Kansas beat their FCS opponent and their non-AQ opponent. The Goofers lost to their FCS opponent (albeit a top-five FCS squad that plays godawful boring B1G-style football some days...beat Southern IL yesterday 9-3, missing a freakin' PAT...thrilled both my teams are undefeated, but disgusted at both offensive performances yesterday) and one of their non-AQ opponents.

Sorry, just trying to be funny on Gill's behalf. Believe Groh's retirement is tied to the end of his UVA bail out dollars and since he is an assistant was attempting humor while going back to head coaches. Everyone thought Gill would make a great coach after what he did at Buffalo and except for defeating us last year has been horrendous. Question for him is whether or not Kansas can afford the buy out.

I think the retirement comment was meant to refer to Schnellenberger. It's helpful when people only quote the part they're referring to, instead of a whole post.

I'm no fan of any Dooley, but if TN fires him they are the idiots. No good coach will go there. Maybe they could get Fulmer back! I bet they would take him now!

It's amusing when I talk to UT fans and they still try to defend the firing of Phil Fulmer. The guy was 11-5 against Alabama. He won the first ever BCS-NC in 1998. They had a 10 win season the year before he was fired. I only root for Tennessee against UGA and LSU. Besides that I want them to lose. They deserve to lose for getting rid of a good guy in Fulmer. The grass ain't always greener. Dooley will fail. It should provide a lot of entertainment when his mom keeps trying to defend her baby boy.

Mack Brown???

They won the conference title two season ago, and before last year they had nine straight 10+ win seasons. I cannot fathom them firing Mack Brown this year.

It looks like Richt may do enough to save his job as well, especially with Florida looking down.

I can't think of any big name coaches who I think are definitely going to be fired.
I agree,MR has had luck of the draw,Tenn is a coming team and I think they keep Dooley but Auburn cant stop anybody on defense and Fla unless they find a qb is not the fla of old.We,of course could hurt him but he has nobody realls strong left to play .He stays and Mack Brown stays for anothe year.Nutt ,I agree may begone.

I see (swami hat) the algroh experiment coming to a close (Thanks, Al!) Nutt being shown (is that a werd?) the door at Ole Miss and Groh being hired there as HC.

I see (swami hat) the algroh experiment coming to a close (Thanks, Al!) Nutt being shown (is that a werd?) the door at Ole Miss and Groh being hired there as HC.
Didn't Groh say when he took the job that he wanted to win championships? The man's a good DC, but he's struggled as a head coach. He's also up there in age. Taking over for Rev Nutt in Oxford is unlikely to be a project he wants to undertake at his age if he wants to win championships. I think he retires as our DC after three more seasons from this one.

You are right on Giggity being out in Oxford, though. If they were smart, they'd end the Cutcliffe experiment at Duke and atone for their mistake in firing him by bringing him back.

Back