Coaching Tiers, CBS article

At this point, why does it even matter? I mean it a known fact now we will never wing another MNC, so why even bother getting yourself all worked up over nothing.

That article is absolutely absurd. Kirby Smart and Lincoln Riley are in a tier above Gary Patterson. This list, like many fans, seems to consider only the last 1-2 years while forgetting the 20 before that. I didn't even get to the section where CPJ was before I left the site.

That article is absolutely absurd. Kirby Smart and Lincoln Riley are in a tier above Gary Patterson. This list, like many fans, seems to consider only the last 1-2 years while forgetting the 20 before that. I didn't even get to the section where CPJ was before I left the site.
I didn't read the article... but Lincoln Riley above Gary Patterson? That's crazy.

It's probably a healthy thing for any program to have dissenters after any losing season. Especially two in the last three.

They are wrong of course. But still.
Agreed.

I think Paul Johnson is a top 20 national coach, at least. In terms of X's and O's, I think he's top 5. The problem is, my opinion doesn't mean öööö. Ultimately he hasn't lived up to anyone's expectations lately (including his own) so that's the reality we have to evaluate him by when looking into the future. He's recruited on par with GT modern history, but hasn't really gotten many true impact guys at all. He's had some really bad DC's that made mediocre teams look bad and great teams look good. He failed to capitalize on momentum from incredible 2009 and 2014 seasons.

I still think he has done more for us than pretty much any other guy we could actually get, but another year like 2017 or 2015 and I think we've got to move on.

He's had some really bad DC's that made mediocre teams look bad and great teams look good.
Personally, while I'd agree with you vis-a-vis Al Groh, I don't think you could really say either Wommack or Roof were "really bad DC's." Both continued as DC's at P5 schools after CPJ let them go. Obviously they weren't good enough, either. But sometimes coaches just need to find the right place/time to thrive.

Personally, while I'd agree with you vis-a-vis Al Groh, I don't think you could really say either Wommack or Roof were "really bad DC's." Both continued as DC's at P5 schools after CPJ let them go. Obviously they weren't good enough, either. But sometimes coaches just need to find the right place/time to thrive.
This is true. I think Roof is average, but was done in by some glaring problems that he never fixed. Wommack actually had some really talented players and did absolutely nothing with them.

Back