Coaching Tiers, CBS article

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
run the numbers on compensation per win. He's right up there with Kirby and Saban.
He got a million per win in 2015. Not sure anyone on that list did any better that year. Got around 500K per win in 2017.

Strangely, we're supposed to be happy with this. Look at how angry the "IIWII" crowd gets when anyone dare question his salary.

yellowbritchies

Flats Noob
He's not even the highest paid coach on that list, dumbass. In fact, of the seven P5 coaches listed, Johnson is the fifth-highest paid coach, only ahead of Fedora and Mason.

Johnson is the 40th highest paid coach in college football. If you think there are 39 head coaches that are better than him, you're an idiot.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
Why do you always call posters "names" if they don't agree with you?

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
He got a million per win in 2015. Not sure anyone on that list did any better that year. Got around 500K per win in 2017.

Strangely, we're supposed to be happy with this. Look at how angry the "IIWII" crowd gets when anyone dare question his salary.
Every coach is overpaid in a bad year. In a good year, CPJ is a huge bargain. All in all, his salary has probably been about right.

Deke

Everybody relax, I'm here.

Personally, I'm not at all angry, it's just the facts that have been presented in this thread as to why he's overpaid aren't compelling (or actually show that he's fairly paid). First, the claim that he's the highest-paid most-inconsistent coach is meaningless. If we take the article as fact and accept that he's the most inconsistent coach, the subset of "most-inconsistent" is 1 (i.e. Paul Johnson). He is the highest/lowest/averagest-paid most-inconsistent coach because there is only one "most". Regardless, as has been pointed out already, there are multiple coaches on that list that are paid more.

The second argument now seems to be this notion of salary per win. As Yukon kindly pointed out his salary per win is right around the same as some of the more prominent coaches in D1 (I'm assuming his math is trustworthy). So, by market standards, Georgia Tech is giving him a fair salary for his quality of work. You can pick 2015 and 2017 to show how ridiculously expensive he is per win, and I can show you 2014 and 2016 (and how relatively cheap he was in those years) to show you his salary per win averages out to a fair price.

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Name them.
Everyone on that list from 1-39 except Muschamp. I'm sure I could find someone beneath 40 to fill that out. There are plenty of coaches who could have 2 of 3 missed bowls/losing seasons on that list and NOT be paid $3 mill/per.

I'm of the belief that CPJ's system has peaked here and that it's time to move on. I think he's done about as well as his scheme and coaching can do. Some good seasons, some awful ones. His hire hasn't improved our recruiting and we're now missing bowl season in years where there are upwards of 80 teams getting invites.

What's interesting is that this POV and opinion based on fact angers many fans more than the losing seasons and getting boat-raced by the mutts at home does. There's a bizarre love affair with this coach that is cultish. It's why I believe most of the defenders are Scheme First, School Second fans, as that's the most logical reason for the strange, angry reaction at anyone who dares to point this stuff out.

18in32

Petard Hoister
For the life of me I'll never understand why anyone cares what CPJ is getting paid.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Almost all the CPJ defenders do. It's pathetic and proof that Shooting The Messenger is about all they got.
Actually, most don't. I can think of a couple who do, and one is banned and is likely a troll account anyways.
Everyone on that list from 1-39 except Muschamp. I'm sure I could find someone beneath 40 to fill that out. There are plenty of coaches who could have 2 of 3 missed bowls/losing seasons on that list and NOT be paid $3 mill/per.

I'm of the belief that CPJ's system has peaked here and that it's time to move on. I think he's done about as well as his scheme and coaching can do. Some good seasons, some awful ones. His hire hasn't improved our recruiting and we're now missing bowl season in years where there are upwards of 80 teams getting invites.

What's interesting is that this POV and opinion based on fact angers many fans more than the losing seasons and getting boat-raced by the mutts at home does. There's a bizarre love affair with this coach that is cultish. It's why I believe most of the defenders are Scheme First, School Second fans, as that's the most logical reason for the strange, angry reaction at anyone who dares to point this stuff out.
Everyone? Bret Bielema? Kliff Kingsbury? Mark Stoops?

As for the scheme. I do like it, but by no means do I think it's the only one we could possibly run and be successful. I just think it's silly to talk about firing a coach and paying a buyout with money that we need for things that might actually help recruiting. There just isn't any evidence historically that a coaching change at Tech would improve recruiting by itself or any reason based in reality to think this would be the case. I think this is just a horse that's been beaten to dust at this point.

ClydeBrick

All Being Master of Time Space & Dimension
Since I have but one rating to give to each post I want to be sure; are RW92, Yukon and gogt5 fishing for Big Cries or Dislikes?

I just want to be sure I am giving them what they want.

Of course, if we had the Pooh . . .

RamblinWreck92

Dodd-Like
Personally, I'm not at all angry, it's just the facts that have been presented in this thread as to why he's overpaid aren't compelling (or actually show that he's fairly paid). First, the claim that he's the highest-paid most-inconsistent coach is meaningless. If we take the article as fact and accept that he's the most inconsistent coach, the subset of "most-inconsistent" is 1 (i.e. Paul Johnson). He is the highest/lowest/averagest-paid most-inconsistent coach because there is only one "most". Regardless, as has been pointed out already, there are multiple coaches on that list that are paid more.

The second argument now seems to be this notion of salary per win. As Yukon kindly pointed out his salary per win is right around the same as some of the more prominent coaches in D1 (I'm assuming his math is trustworthy). So, by market standards, Georgia Tech is giving him a fair salary for his quality of work. You can pick 2015 and 2017 to show how ridiculously expensive he is per win, and I can show you 2014 and 2016 (and how relatively cheap he was in those years) to show you his salary per win averages out to a fair price.
Actually, most don't. I can think of a couple who do, and one is banned and is likely a troll account anyways.

Everyone? Bret Bielema? Kliff Kingsbury? Mark Stoops?

As for the scheme. I do like it, but by no means do I think it's the only one we could possibly run and be successful. I just think it's silly to talk about firing a coach and paying a buyout with money that we need for things that might actually help recruiting. There just isn't any evidence historically that a coaching change at Tech would improve recruiting by itself or any reason based in reality to think this would be the case. I think this is just a horse that's been beaten to dust at this point.
Bielema? öööö - missed that one. Yeah, he's definitely worse than CPJ.

Kingsbury is probably the air-raid equivalent of CPJ. Who knows - he's a bit young to compare yet. The others? Meh, who knows. I don't hold CPJ in the "OMG Best coach we can possibly have!" category that many fans do. I don't think any of those coaches (outside of Bielema) would have done much worse in the past few years than CPJ has though.

I'm not talking about firing the guy. That's a pointless conversation since he's signed thru the next few years. I hope to be proven wrong but I think we've passed the high-water mark of CPJ.