Coffee is for Closers Paul!

Most ridiculous thing in the history if stingtalk and ööööööö if that isn't saying a lot.
Lets craft a bet, then. What terms would you like?

I maintain if PJ is fired at the end of 2013, the GT program will be no better than Duke by 2015. You pick the metrics you'd like to measure. If I agree, lets put a bottle of whiskey on it.

That's what they said when Gailey was fired.

And would have been absolutely true if we hired Rick Neuheisel or most of the rest of our choices. That we landed PJ was an amazing stroke of luck. We won't find another coach better than him for this situation. In fact, the fan backlash if we do fire him will lead us to hire some pro style idiot so "NFL players will come here" even though they still won't. We will have an offense that does nothing, and a defense to match, and no players.

It would clearly depend on whose hired... However Chan Gailey never had a losing record here, so we'd need a coach that's just as good as him minimum.

Also, two years is too short. It's gonna take a new coach 3 or 4 to dig out of the talent void that CPJ is burying us in.

If he does get fired and we see who we get we can discuss a bet.

There are plenty of coaches, though, who can go 21-19 against a soft ass schedule at Tech.

And would have been absolutely true if we hired Rick Neuheisel or most of the rest of our choices. That we landed PJ was an amazing stroke of luck. We won't find another coach better than him for this situation. In fact, the fan backlash if we do fire him will lead us to hire some pro style idiot so "NFL players will come here" even though they still won't. We will have an offense that does nothing, and a defense to match, and no players.

I have no idea (and neither do you) what the new AD would look for in hiring a new football coach. I doubt it would be as simple as hire a pro style coach. Is not like Vanderbilt is running a "pro" offense right now, and Franklin seems to be whooping Johnson's ass all around the south in recruiting.

I imagine they'd look to hire a younger guy who has a reputation for recruiting well and probably runs some sort of spread or pistol. Just don't hire some 50+ grumpy old white guy that doesn't understand today's 18 year olds and likes to make an ass out of him self in the local media.

It would clearly depend on whose hired... However Chan Gailey never had a losing record here, so we'd need a coach that's just as good as him minimum.
Don't use the hire as an excuse to weasel out of the bet. Part of the bet is knowing(speculating) who we could or would hire. Bet me or STFU. You said my statement was the most ridiculous thing in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF STINGTALK. Clearly betting against it has got to be a safe bet. Right?

Or was it not, in fact, the most ridiculous thing in the history of Stingtalk, and you were actually talking out your own ass? Pick one.

All I know is the öööö isn't this hard. We got a bunch of great football minds and very little salesmanship. It shows up every time PJ opens his mouth. He sounds either irritated, angry, or condescending. That öööö doesn't sell to 17-18 year old kids.

If Paul wants to win big he's got to change his ways and he's got to mix his coaching staff with guys who can sell GT. Like I said before, he took a step in the right direction with Roof and Pelton, but it may be too late. Time will tell.

i disagree with the interview parts. most of the quotes that get blown up aren't bad in context. this isn't to say that he isn't ever a bit crass in interviews, but i think most of the complaints about his interviews are a little overblown.

regarding coaching staff, i agree. however, this is more because i think that some of them don't do a good enough job coaching at their position, not because of recruiting.

Don't use the hire as an excuse to weasel out of the bet. Part of the bet is knowing(speculating) who we could or would hire. Bet me or STFU. You said my statement was the most ridiculous thing in the ENTIRE HISTORY OF STINGTALK. Clearly betting against it has got to be a safe bet. Right?

Or was it not, in fact, the most ridiculous thing in the history of Stingtalk, and you were actually talking out your own ass? Pick one.

I'll take the bet if he doesn't.

I have no idea (and neither do you) what the new AD would look for in hiring a new football coach. I doubt it would be as simple as hire a pro style coach.

I know exactly what would drive the hire. If CPJ is fired in 2013, the new hire will be to "Appease all the fans that act like Diseqc." That's why I'm confident making the bet with knoxjacket. You want in on that action?

I'll take the bet if he doesn't.

Good deal.

Stakes:
Bottle of Jameson.

Terms:

If CPJ is not fired at the end of the 2013 season, bet is off.

If he is fired, and GT's program is "no better than Duke" by the end of the 2015 season, Diseq owes Beej a bottle of Jameson. If GT's program is "better than Duke" then the other way around.

How would you like to define "no better than Duke" ..? I think ACC record would be a fair benchmark.

I know exactly what would drive the hire. If CPJ is fired in 2013, it would be "Appease all the fans that act like Diseqc." That's why I'm confident making the bet with knoxjacket. You want in on that action?

I'm never very vocal on how I feel about the offense because at the end of the day I don't care. Is the offense good enough to win games? Are we winning said games?

I'm vocally negative about his lack of recruiting skills and his assholish nature to everyone. If I thought Jeff Monken could come into Tech and do a better job than Johnson, I'd be all for his hire.

Good deal.

Stakes:
Bottle of Jameson.

Terms:

If CPJ is not fired at the end of the 2013 season, bet is off.

If he is fired, and GT's program is "no better than Duke" by the end of the 2015 season, Diseq owes Beej a bottle of Jameson. If GT's program is "better than Duke" then the other way around.

How would you like to define "worse than Duke" ..? I think ACC record would be a fair benchmark.

Not ACC record. How about Sagarin ranking at end of 2015 season?

I have no idea (and neither do you) what the new AD would look for in hiring a new football coach. I doubt it would be as simple as hire a pro style coach. Is not like Vanderbilt is running a "pro" offense right now, and Franklin seems to be whooping Johnson's ass all around the south in recruiting.

I imagine they'd look to hire a younger guy who has a reputation for recruiting well and probably runs some sort of spread or pistol. Just don't hire some 50+ grumpy old white guy that doesn't understand today's 18 year olds and likes to make an ass out of him self in the local media.

It's an old article, but here is James Franklin's approach to recruiting and how he uses academics as a recruiting tool. Vanderbilt is no Georgia Tech, but I wonder how successful our coaches would be with a similar approach?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/07/01/vanderbilt-recruiting/index.html

Not ACC record. How about Sagarin ranking at end of 2015 season?

I can live with this.

Regular season ELO?

I'm never very vocal on how I feel about the offense because at the end of the day I don't care. Is the offense good enough to win games? Are we winning said games?

I'm vocally negative about his lack of recruiting skills and his assholish nature to everyone. If I thought Jeff Monken could come into Tech and do a better job than Johnson, I'd be all for his hire.

Fair enough. And I'd be for Monken as well, honestly. But if CPJ is fired, we won't hire Monken, because the people driving the decision to fire CPJ will make sure Monken isn't hired. That's the truth of the situation, and therefore part of the bet.

We already have our coach in waiting and BOR knows who he is.

CPJ is going to show you bitches some old school football next year and knock some dicks in the dirt. Long live CPJ!

Go Jackets!

We already have our coach in waiting and BOR knows who he is.

CPJ is going to show you bitches some old school football next year and knock some dicks in the dirt. Long live CPJ!

Go Jackets!

No we don't. We didn't even have a full time AD when Roof was hired.

If the team sucks enough to get Johnson fired, Roof is going out with the bath water as well.

It's an old article, but here is James Franklin's approach to recruiting and how he uses academics as a recruiting tool. Vanderbilt is no Georgia Tech, but I wonder how successful our coaches would be with a similar approach?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/07/01/vanderbilt-recruiting/index.html

this is exactly what Johnson is trying to do (see 2008 class) and something that I guarantee is used against us. Schools can point to our graduation rate history and say, "sure they tell you they've got a great school, but they don't tell you it's about 50/50 whether you'll even get the degree..."

Fighting that is a good step in the right direction. Johnson is doing that.

Getting out of state more because the academics in this state are atrocious is another good step in the right direction. Johnson is doing that.

Hiring younger and more personal assistant coaches to attract talent is a step in the right direction, now Johnson is doing that.

We have a playmaker at QB next season, and another in the wings. We have a team that believes in that QB to lead them to victory. We've got a DC who will address the main missteps of our D (positioning and passion). We are setup for a good year in 2013. With Roof on the trail for 2014's class we may do some good things with next year's class.

Back