College Football Dead

TechRush

Dodd-Like
Since 2010, SEC teams other than Alabama have appeared in six national title games, winning three of them. There's no doubt that ESPN overhypes the SEC to some extent, but it's hard to call the SEC "Alabama and the 8 dwarfs" when the dwarfs are consistently making and even winning national title games.
But the other SEC teams are only in it because of Bama...

Herp derp drip walk!

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
Since 2010, SEC teams other than Alabama have appeared in six national title games, winning three of them. There's no doubt that ESPN overhypes the SEC to some extent, but it's hard to call the SEC "Alabama and the 8 dwarfs" when the dwarfs are consistently making and even winning national title games.
And those appearances have been the usual few teams that dominate the sec. Bama does dwarf the bottom 8, year in and year out. They also dwarf uga, LSU, and AU in titles and head to head match-ups. Sounds a bit top heavy, huh?

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
Sure seems like a lot of people will twist logic any way they can to avoid accepting how much better the SEC is than everyone else. It sucks, but denying it won’t solve anything. You can take away Bama, take away the top four teams, take away how many draft picks come from certain teams…doesn’t matter. If grandma had nuts, she’d be grandpa.
Better, yes. Exaggerated, hell yes!

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
So just take away their best team, disqualify two others for being crooked, and discount the most recent winner because they only became top tier a few years ago?
With the possible exception of Vandy, the entire SEC is crooked. Vandy was definitely crooked when Franklin was coaching there.

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
Those were gone a long time ago. Uga took pride in one of its players learning how to read while in college just a few years ago.
I remember that. Also recall that we've had plenty of our own that hardly belonged at the Institute. Our "Special Admits" had plenty of doozies.
Remember these comments in a report about some of ours?

In March, Georgia Tech issued a news release announcing that the average high school GPA for all students accepted for the fall semester was 3.9.
The academic profile of a group of 21 Georgia Tech special-admit football players from recent years looked much different. They had a combined average high school GPA of 2.19, according to an "athletes historical report" provided in March in response to an open-records request. The players entered the university between 2005 and last year.
Five special-admit men's basketball players listed in Georgia Tech's report had high school GPAs ranging from 2.16 to 2.42. The group's SAT critical reading scores averaged 476, and its SAT math scores averaged 454.
Once at Georgia Tech, the five players' GPAs averaged 2.16. Two were listed in good standing and two were on academic "warning," meaning their recent performance was unsatisfactory. One was on academic probation.

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
I remember that. Also recall that we've had plenty of our own that hardly belonged at the Institute. Our "Special Admits" had plenty of doozies.

In March, Georgia Tech issued a news release announcing that the average high school GPA for all students accepted for the fall semester was 3.9.
The academic profile of a group of 21 Georgia Tech special-admit football players from recent years looked much different. They had a combined average high school GPA of 2.19, according to an "athletes historical report" provided in March in response to an open-records request. The players entered the university between 2005 and last year.
Five special-admit men's basketball players listed in Georgia Tech's report had high school GPAs ranging from 2.16 to 2.42. The group's SAT critical reading scores averaged 476, and its SAT math scores averaged 454.
Once at Georgia Tech, the five players' GPAs averaged 2.16. Two were listed in good standing and two were on academic "warning," meaning their recent performance was unsatisfactory. One was on academic probation.

I think you can explain it by realizing that many GT athletes would not be at Georgia Tech except for their athletic skills, while many UGa athletes wouldn't be in college except for their athletic skills.

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
I think you can explain it by realizing that many GT athletes would not be at Georgia Tech except for their athletic skills, while many UGa athletes wouldn't be in college except for their athletic skills.
Possibly, I suppose, but since neither school can take guys with under a 2.0 GPA and we have in this report 21 GT football players that had an average of 2.19, it's certainly reasonable to expect that as many half of them had under a 2.19, which doesn't necessarily position us for posturing, and these GT students were also unlikely candidates for college anywhere absent athletics.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like

Magnitude matters. It's not even close. Their best player on the team in 2016 read at a 3rd grade level for gawd sake, ok? They knew it when they signed him, ok? He wouldn't have even been allowed an official visit at Tech the year uga signed him. 90++% of uga's and GT's signed classes are special admits. uga's is even higher when applied to their 2-deep and even higher on D. The SAT scores you listed would be higher than uga's in basketball and football. The only thing I'll give you is the differential between Tech's and Georgia's football players vs regular students is higher at Tech than Georgia, due to the fact that Tech's regular students are elite and average about 1450 on the SAT.

manjano mdudu

Varsity Lurker
Magnitude matters. It's not even close. Their best player on the team in 2016 read at a 3rd grade level for gawd sake, ok? They knew it when they signed him, ok? He wouldn't have even been allowed an official visit at Tech the year uga signed him. 90++% of uga's and GT's signed classes are special admits. uga's is even higher when applied to their 2-deep and even higher on D. The SAT scores you listed would be higher than uga's in basketball and football. The only thing I'll give you is the differential between Tech's and Georgia's football players vs regular students is higher at Tech than Georgia, due to the fact that Tech's regular students are elite and average about 1450 on the SAT.
With all respect, there are lots of semantics here when we all know that both schools are admitting players that otherwise likely wouldn't be in college. Our coaches have pushed for as much of the equalization of athletic academics as they could get, and as we know, have been given more and more access to weaker students in an attempt to improve our on-field competitive performance. At GT we have much to be proud of, but claiming a higher moral authority when it comes to not admitting students weak in the classroom can't be one of them.

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
There are good programs in the SEC but their postseason is an old familiar tune. 1 or 2 really good programs and a bunch of wannabes.
Three different SEC teams have won the past three NC’s, and two others have won it in the past 15 years.

ClubSeats

Still, the top 4 had over half the players drafted in a 14 team conference, which is pretty top heavy in my mind. Agree with your point about middle 3rd vs other middle 3rds.
You’re really stretching in this thread. Wouldn’t you naturally expect the top four teams in any conference to have a disproportionate amount of draft picks? And wouldn’t you expect the bottom teams in the conference to have disproportionately fewer draft picks? Because it seems that you think each team should have an equal number of draft picks, otherwise they’re “top-heavy”.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
You’re really stretching in this thread. Wouldn’t you naturally expect the top four teams in any conference to have a disproportionate amount of draft picks? And wouldn’t you expect the bottom teams in the conference to have disproportionately fewer draft picks? Because it seems that you think each team should have an equal number of draft picks, otherwise they’re “top-heavy”.
What do the head to head records and the number of titles of the top 4 vs the other 10 tell ya ? It's uga level math. Yes, I believe this is true of other conferences, but not to the same degree. Hence, my post that said, yes they are better, and yes this is largely exaggerated. Don't fall for Finnebaum and espn's hyperbole.

ClubSeats

What do the head to head records and the number of titles of the top 4 vs the other 10 tell ya ? It's uga level math. Yes, I believe this is true of other conferences, but not to the same degree. Hence, my post that said, yes they are better, and yes this is largely exaggerated. Don't fall for Finnebaum and espn's hyperbole.
It’s not true “to the same degree” in the other conferences because the other conferences don’t win very many championships.
Since the dawn of the BCS era in 1998, the SEC has won 13.5 of 24 championships. To do the UGA math for you, that’s 56% going to one conference. Distant second place goes to the ACC with only four.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
It’s not true “to the same degree” in the other conferences because the other conferences don’t win very many championships.
Since the dawn of the BCS era in 1998, the SEC has won 13.5 of 24 championships. To do the UGA math for you, that’s 56% going to one conference. Distant second place goes to the ACC with only four.
Sheesh CS, my posts have been about sec titles from a few teams in the sec and how those few teams beat the snot out of the other ten teams when head to head. Ok? When a few teams win those titles and beat the other teams in the Grrreat conference, it's what's known as......wait for it.......Top Heavy!

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Sheesh CS, my posts have been about sec titles from a few teams in the sec and how those few teams beat the snot out of the other ten teams when head to head. Ok? When a few teams win those titles and beat the other teams in the Grrreat conference, it's what's known as......wait for it.......Top Heavy!
The issue is that you brought this up as a response to someone who was simply saying that the SEC was a much better conference than anyone else. It didn't claim that the SEC was not top heavy, or that the bottom of the conference would dominate the top of any other conference. It simply claimed that the SEC as a conference was better than other conferences.

So when you responded to that post saying that the SEC is top heavy, I and others (perhaps wrongly) inferred that you didn't think that the SEC was better than other conferences overall -- just that they had a few really good teams, and all the other teams in the conference were viewed as better simply because they were associated with those top teams.

Last edited: