College Football Dead

The problem is that statement doesn't really hold up if you tweak it a little:

"Just because the coaches who recruited the players abandon their teams and switch schools before their bowl games to get $10 million paydays doesn't mean the players should turn into selfish spoiled brats who opt out of bowl games and switch schools in between seasons."
It holds up plenty andrew. However let's make a true tweak instead of a sarcastic bastardization of it: doesn't mean the players and/or coaches should turn into spoiled selfish brats. However, the coaches are employed professionals while the players are students---wee bit of diff there, but I can understand and agree with you about coaches at the end of a season.

Maybe, but $5M is a lot of money and the infrastructure is already in place at Alabama to run things in the vein of Saban and Smart’s style. Smart is also going to be the #1 target for succession and it will be by a long shot compared to whatever other candidates are available. I wouldn’t dismiss it as a real possibility
great point and if ran correctly, KS could be at ugag for quite a long time. the recruiting set up is equal to ALA and will be better with the natty in hand. that said, all good things come to an end and a couple of narrow losses in nattys will have the ugag faithful posting KS has lost it, at some point. so there will be turnover, but with 2 or 3 nattys possible in next 7 years, it might be a very long time. i'd hate for that to happen but even i have to admit they are really set up well. Only down side is they need to recruit and sign top-5 qbs and sometimes that takes the ability to recognize one, which may not be there right now. that's the only achilles heel i see right now and i'm really trying to fine one!

It is a lot of money. It will be interesting to see what Kirby's new contract is. I imagine he will get one this offseason.

There's always a Paul Hewitt lurking somewhere...hope this is one.

Man I just read an article that says Texas A&M boosters ponied up an estimated $25M-30M in NIL to buy sign their #1 ranked class this year. No wonder Saban was complaining about NIL and how it needed limits. Now that anyone with money can buy players, its a threat to his annual right to sign the best class in the nation. While anyone theoretically can do the same thing the Aggies did, only a handful of teams have the resources *and* hundreds of thousands of crazy alumni who value football over anything else that is important in life.

I really do think CFB has jumped the shark just like one-and-dones ruined college basketball. The NCAA tournament just isnt what it used to be and the ratings show steep declines. I wish I could say the same about CFP but this years championship game was highly rated. The semifinals, though, had abysmal viewership (partly because New Years eve is a terrible time slot). People want to see fair competition and college football is no longer a fair fight.

Man I just read an article that says Texas A&M boosters ponied up an estimated $25M-30M in NIL to buy sign their #1 ranked class this year. No wonder Saban was complaining about NIL and how it needed limits. Now that anyone with money can buy players, its a threat to his annual right to sign the best class in the nation. While anyone theoretically can do the same thing the Aggies did, only a handful of teams have the resources *and* hundreds of thousands of crazy alumni who value football over anything else that is important in life.

I really do think CFB has jumped the shark just like one-and-dones ruined college basketball. The NCAA tournament just isnt what it used to be and the ratings show steep declines. I wish I could say the same about CFP but this years championship game was highly rated. The semifinals, though, had abysmal viewership (partly because New Years eve is a terrible time slot). People want to see fair competition and college football is no longer a fair fight.
The championship game was the 2nd lowest viewed/watched game in the CFP/BCS era. Ratings are declining.

Eh, it is gold-colored glasses to think the SEC is only a couple good teams each year. Their bowl record has been solid. Granted, you will always be able to cherry pick bad losses, but overall more solid than any of the power 5. They got 13 freaking teams in this year and the lack of quality of the bottom half certainly showed, but holy smokes, everyone but Vandy.

in the BCS/post BCS era, they’ve had LSU, Bama, Auburn, Florida, and Ugag all win one or more titles.

The ACC isn’t even close. None of them are, not even the B1G, though they are the closest, albeit a distant second.

kirby ain’t going to Bama…ever. He is back with mama and no one wants to follow Saban.

Eh, it is gold-colored glasses to think the SEC is only a couple good teams each year. Their bowl record has been solid. Granted, you will always be able to cherry pick bad losses, but overall more solid than any of the power 5. They got 13 freaking teams in this year and the lack of quality of the bottom half certainly showed, but holy smokes, everyone but Vandy.

in the BCS/post BCS era, they’ve had LSU, Bama, Auburn, Florida, and Ugag all win one or more titles.

The ACC isn’t even close. None of them are, not even the B1G, though they are the closest, albeit a distant second.

kirby ain’t going to Bama…ever. He is back with mama and no one wants to follow Saban.
I don't think the bottom half of the sec would dominate any conference the way the top 4 teams in the sec dominate the remainder of the sec, year in and year out. There's no doubt they are top heavy. Take away Bama, and their titles shrink a great deal. Auburn bought one, uga took 41 years for theirs, UF is a shell of their former self, and LSU is so crooked they make NIL look downright legit.

I don't think the bottom half of the sec would dominate any conference the way the top 4 teams in the sec dominate the remainder of the sec, year in and year out. There's no doubt they are top heavy. Take away Bama, and their titles shrink a great deal. Auburn bought one, uga took 41 years for theirs, UF is a shell of their former self, and LSU is so crooked they make NIL look downright legit.

So just take away their best team, disqualify two others for being crooked, and discount the most recent winner because they only became top tier a few years ago?

I guess when you do that they really aren't better than any other conference.

So just take away their best team, disqualify two others for being crooked, and discount the most recent winner because they only became top tier a few years ago?

I guess when you do that they really aren't better than any other conference.
Correct, considering how many teams they have. How would Pitt, Clem, Oklahoma, Mich, OSU, and Oregon have done against their bottom half?

Think this is the average NFL players drafted the first three rounds each of the last five years. These teams don’t care about ESPN spin. They care about the best players.

1. SEC 21
2. Big Ten 14.21
3. Pac-12 13.17
4. ACC 13.14
5. Big 12 10.3
6. American Athletic 7
7. Independents 6.29
8. Mountain West 3.26
9. Conference USA 2.5
10. MAC 2.36
11. Sun Belt 2.1

Think this is the average NFL players drafted the first three rounds each of the last five years. These teams don’t care about ESPN spin. They care about the best players.

1. SEC 21
2. Big Ten 14.21
3. Pac-12 13.17
4. ACC 13.14
5. Big 12 10.3
6. American Athletic 7
7. Independents 6.29
8. Mountain West 3.26
9. Conference USA 2.5
10. MAC 2.36
11. Sun Belt 2.1
Same deal, 34 of 61 total drafted in 2021 in sec are from 4 teams. Top heavy. Even from the above list the PAC-12 is pretty close on a per team basis and nobody is touting them as dominating. The sec top teams are so good that the conference as a whole gets elevated to the extreme.

Same deal, 34 of 61 total drafted in 2021 in sec are from 4 teams. Top heavy. Even from the above list the PAC-12 is pretty close on a per team basis and nobody is touting them as dominating. The sec top teams are so good that the conference as a whole gets elevated to the extreme.

So in 2021, if you take out the top four teams from both conferences, the SEC had 30 players drafted (average of 3 per team) and the Pac-12 had 11 players drafted (average of 1.4 per team.)

That's still a pretty significant difference even when completely disregarding the top teams in each conference. Yes, the SEC is top-heavy, but the middle third of the SEC stacks up very favorably compared to the middle third of other conferences as well.

(Source: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ecord-finishes-on-top-for-15th-straight-year/)

Take the top 4 SEC teams away, add the top 4 ACC teams in and an SEC team would still most likely be conference champ.

Take the top 4 SEC teams away, add the top 4 ACC teams in and an SEC team would still most likely be conference champ.
You put a lot of faith in UK, OM, Ark, & A&M who lost 14 between them, but what you say imo is possible.

So in 2021, if you take out the top four teams from both conferences, the SEC had 30 players drafted (average of 3 per team) and the Pac-12 had 11 players drafted (average of 1.4 per team.)

That's still a pretty significant difference even when completely disregarding the top teams in each conference. Yes, the SEC is top-heavy, but the middle third of the SEC stacks up very favorably compared to the middle third of other conferences as well.

(Source: https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ecord-finishes-on-top-for-15th-straight-year/)
Still, the top 4 had over half the players drafted in a 14 team conference, which is pretty top heavy in my mind. Agree with your point about middle 3rd vs other middle 3rds.

This is where SECSPN is a big problem. The media for years called THE ACC, "FSU and the 8 dwarfs". But generally for 10 years it's been Alabama and the 8 dwarfs. You would never hear that however. Remember that Tech has had a good record against the SEC taking away the UGA game, which when played at the end of the year we get outclassed by depth on its own.

This is where SECSPN is a big problem. The media for years called THE ACC, "FSU and the 8 dwarfs". But generally for 10 years it's been Alabama and the 8 dwarfs. You would never hear that however. Remember that Tech has had a good record against the SEC taking away the UGA game, which when played at the end of the year we get outclassed by depth on its own.

Since 2010, SEC teams other than Alabama have appeared in six national title games, winning three of them. There's no doubt that ESPN overhypes the SEC to some extent, but it's hard to call the SEC "Alabama and the 8 dwarfs" when the dwarfs are consistently making and even winning national title games.

Sure seems like a lot of people will twist logic any way they can to avoid accepting how much better the SEC is than everyone else. It sucks, but denying it won’t solve anything. You can take away Bama, take away the top four teams, take away how many draft picks come from certain teams…doesn’t matter. If grandma had nuts, she’d be grandpa.

Back