College Football Dead

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
The SEC killed the golden goose.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
College football isn’t dead. We just suck right now so it feels like it is. Spring football is coming. I’ll be excited again then.
College = Amateur
Amateur: a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid rather than a professional basis.

Amateur college football —- which is the only thing that has ever existed for over 150 years is dead.

This is not a small bump in the road for the Georgia Tech’s, UNC’s, UVA’s, Virginia Tech’s, TCU’s, Oklahoma State’s and Boise State’s of CFB. It’s the end of the road. And it was at best done in disregard for the smaller schools. But I. Reality it was probably carefully designed to be the end of the road. ESPN and big corporate money do not want those programs in the college football playoff. Those programs cost them precious $$$$.

With the current player free agency/player portal, NIL and $$$ you are absolutely lying to yourself if you think otherwise.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
This guy pretty much nails it. All about money. Massive sums of Money = best coaches, best facilities, best recruiting budgets, NIL deals, etc. UGA is basically the Dodgers, Yankees, et el… whereas Tech is more like the Pirates.

oldgoldbee

Flats Noob
College = Amateur
Amateur: a person who engages in a pursuit, especially a sport, on an unpaid rather than a professional basis.

Amateur college football —- which is the only thing that has ever existed for over 150 years is dead.

This is not a small bump in the road for the Georgia Tech’s, UNC’s, UVA’s, Virginia Tech’s, TCU’s, Oklahoma State’s and Boise State’s of CFB. It’s the end of the road. And it was at best done in disregard for the smaller schools. But I. Reality it was probably carefully designed to be the end of the road. ESPN and big corporate money do not want those programs in the college football playoff. Those programs cost them precious $$$$.

With the current player free agency/player portal, NIL and $$$ you are absolutely lying to yourself if you think otherwise.
Instead of Student Athletes, they are now; Semi-Pro Athletes, Huh? So the wealthy colleges are not only going to pay these SPA's (semi-pro athletes), they are still going to given them full-ride scholarships too?

I am glad I am old enough to be able to have witnessed and watched the great game of college amateur sports, it was fun while it lasted!

Last edited:

Beej1953

Helluva Engineer
I hope NIL and transfer rules end this veneer of amateurism and the golden-egg laying goose finally dies. Parity is dead from a tragedy of the commons. öööö you ESPN, and öööö you SEC
And might as well do away with any academic requirements, since they are generally a pretense for most of the top athletic programs. Divide college FB & BKB schools into semi-pro and actual academic college divisions.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
And might as well do away with any academic requirements, since they are generally a pretense for most of the top athletic programs. Divide college FB & BKB schools into semi-pro and actual academic college divisions.
They will continue the fantasy that these "student athletes" actually attend classes and are held accountable for their classroom performance. The elimination of SAT and ACT requirements for admission is the last academic hurdle. It will be gone soon.

CiraldoForever

Damn Good Rat
Look at the teams playing tonight. Consider the collective intellect of their fanbases.

That's the target audience now.
That's just not right. The intellect of the Alabama and Georgia fan bases is higher than ours. The way I know is that they would not tolerate three years of miserable mega crap, and we do. We're stupid, not them.

yellowbritchies

Flats Noob
Come on guys! As Pepper Rogers used to say after a loss " we lost a game, but the sun will rise tomorrow " . Tech football will move on toward the 2022 season. They need O & D linemen and a dependable QB that can play a full season without injuries. Changes have been made in the coaching area and Tstan knows there is problem within the Tech Nation! So lets just all stfu, stop the pessimism and rancor, get to the games and watch what happens! Pity parties are no way to live life!!!

GTWannaBee

Dodd-Like
College = Amateur

Why does College = Amateurism? Why is that required? You know good and well it hasn’t actually been that way for a few decades.
As long as they are working towards a degree, THAT = College.

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Why does College = Amateurism? Why is that required? You know good and well it hasn’t actually been that way for a few decades.
Because by definition college football players are not allowed to collect money. They are rewarded with a scholarship and an education. That’s the “college” part of it. Openly paying college football players has never occurred. Research SMU. Ask Jeremy Pruitt what happens when you do that. They were made an example of what happens when such infractions occur.

jdubjacket

Dodd-Like
Yeah college football has been broken for a long time, but I think a lot of people were willing to overlook it because it was "amateur." And kids were less likely to transfer because of the headache it would cause them. But now with the transfer portal, NIL, and constant conference realignment, I think a lot of people have already lost interest or will begin to lose more interest, especially if you're not a fan of a traditional powerhouse.

Personally, I thought the transfer portal was a good thing. It didn't handcuff kids to a team, especially if their coach left for greener pastures. I just didn't anticipate more talented kids abusing it to sell their services to the highest bidder. See: Caleb Williams at Oklahoma. I guess that was just me being naive.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
It seems almost impossible how low my interest in this sport currently is. Even when we start winning more than 3 games again I’m not sure it’s ever going to hold the same place in my heart.

Even just 5 years ago I scoffed at alums living in ATL that didn’t have season tix. Now I’m questioning if it really means enough to me anymore to go in for them when I’m only making the trip down a couple times a year.

Unless the Institution does something drastic to keep pace I’m not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here for Tech Football.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Yeah college football has been broken for a long time, but I think a lot of people were willing to overlook it because it was "amateur." And kids were less likely to transfer because of the headache it would cause them. But now with the transfer portal, NIL, and constant conference realignment, I think a lot of people have already lost interest or will begin to lose more interest, especially if you're not a fan of a traditional powerhouse.

Personally, I thought the transfer portal was a good thing. It didn't handcuff kids to a team, especially if their coach left for greener pastures. I just didn't anticipate more talented kids abusing it to sell their services to the highest bidder. See: Caleb Williams at Oklahoma. I guess that was just me being naive.
This. I’ve lived/breathed recruiting for the last decade. And basically lost interest overnight with the departure of Gibbs this year. What’s the point of celebrating recruiting wins when you know if he pans out he’s just going to get poached by somebody with more money?

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
It seems almost impossible how low my interest in this sport currently is. Even when we start winning more than 3 games again I’m not sure it’s ever going to hold the same place in my heart.

Even just 5 years ago I scoffed at alums living in ATL that didn’t have season tix. Now I’m questioning if it really means enough to me anymore to go in for them when I’m only making the trip down a couple times a year.

Unless the Institution does something drastic to keep pace I’m not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel here for Tech Football.
Our problem is that 30 or 40 years ago the direction of your program could be altered by finding the right mix of coaching. A programs' direction was so much more nimble. Now, it is such a multifaceted model where it's paying our head coach Fortune 500 money, pro level facilities, hire an army of assistants to help from recruiting to coaching, top notch stadium amenities, NIL deals, TV/social media influence, etc. that turning the corner of your program is trying to turn the Titanic now.

It's effectively saying - you don't like Google being the 500 pound gorilla. Well, invent the next Google, champ. Ya...Ok...

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
Because by definition college football players are not allowed to collect money. They are rewarded with a scholarship and an education. That’s the “college” part of it. Openly paying college football players has never occurred. Research SMU. Ask Jeremy Pruitt what happens when you do that. They were made an example of what happens when such infractions occur.
The rules only apply when the NCAA wants them to. Do you believe UGA or Bama have never done things much worse than SMU?
The Pruitt situation is interesting, UT is trying to avoid paying Pruitt's severance. Did they want to get rid of him as cheaply as possible and chose to throw him under the bus so they could fire him for cause? Will the NCAA minimize any penalty to UT because the SEC is untouchable (unless you are Ole Miss and get out of your lane).

StraightFresh

Midtown Zoomer
The schools like GT need to just ditch the ultra-programs and create something more resembling college baseball. Create a new league with GT, Tulane, UNC, UVA, Maryland, Vanderbilt, Duke, etc. Do the same thing in the various regions- a Big Ten with Ohio State kicked out, a PAC-12 with USC kicked out, etc.

Oh no, we'll go from signing 1 legit NFL player per decade to signing 0. What a disaster that would be

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
I love how there's a bunch of BS theory crap about how somehow SEC dominance is because of the civil war while the article mentions but doesn't go much into the role of the overwhelmingly #1 news agency for college football (more or less predating the SEC dominance) has a vested financial interest in the SEC being dominant.

StraightFresh

Midtown Zoomer
I love how there's a bunch of BS theory crap about how somehow SEC dominance is because of the civil war while the article mentions but doesn't go much into the role of the overwhelmingly #1 news agency for college football (more or less predating the SEC dominance) has a vested financial interest in the SEC being dominant.
I can believe that Southern angst over the Civil War played a big part. There's clearly some lingering inferiority complex regarding more prestigious Northerners that they've channeled into trying to dominate college football. Literally no other area has a top-to-bottom psychotic obsession with having good college football teams. They've taken it to the point that they've destroyed what the sport originally was.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
I can believe that Southern angst over the Civil War played a big part. There's clearly some lingering inferiority complex regarding more prestigious Northerners that they've channeled into trying to dominate college football. Literally no other area has a top-to-bottom psychotic obsession with having good college football teams. They've taken it to the point that they've destroyed what the sport originally was.
I think you guys are reading a bit too much into a tongue-in-cheek statement? I took it as an attempt at humor.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
Man, y’all are some depressing dudes. Nothing has really changed. We’ve gone from an era where sports editors picked national champs based on back door arm twisting and regional bias to now an invited only 4 team party with a bouncer (ESPN) at the door. I’ve been arguing about this since I was 10 years old and asked the obvious question on New Year’s Day of why isn’t the #1 team playing the #2 team? Why are we watching #1 play #11 and #2 playing #16 and then a day later being a shown a map of where the AP votes for each team came from. It’s always been a corrupt joke. Today is no different so I don’t understand the angst now. Y’all do realize we were 1 coach away from switching his vote to no 1990 Natty. And we were clearly the best team. But we had no media beholden to us. The west was all Colorado and the southeast media didn’t want anymore competition to their schools so we were on our own and lost the AP. An expanded playoff (while not perfect) is the only way to ensure the little guy gets an invite. Take Wake or Pitt this year. They would have at least had a shot to prove themselves like hopefully we will in the near future.