College Football Dead

IM79

Flats Noob
I know there are safety concerns and to some extent the pool of youth football players may become limited, but I haven't seen any convincing arguments that that will tank the NFL.
This is what could kill football. lawsuits seeking damages for CTE concussions etc. And youth and high school football get banned by the safety lobby. I think in 20-30 years it will be flag football.

Techfan02

Hope is pain
Anything is possible but I haven't seen any signs that the NFL's popularity is dwindling. If anything I've seen the opposite.

I know there are safety concerns and to some extent the pool of youth football players may become limited, but I haven't seen any convincing arguments that that will tank the NFL.

From fantasy football to gambling to incredible parity, they've done a fantastic job at making sure customers who never played or were involved with the sport feel connected to it.
The Thing is nfl athletes are getting paid openly and legally. College was suppose to always be about having a chamcw to prove it to said nfl teams and earn your pay, but now it's going down to a high school level in reality. I can watch the nfl and enjoy cause it has a more narrow talent gap so simple analysis.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
What? Every single expansion move has been about money and resources, as you would expect it to be. Pretending like Nebraska or TAMU motivations, or the ACC poaching the Big East, was somehow more pure and noble is just silly. It is an arms race, and every school wants the best chance to win and be successful. Texas and Oklahoma did the math and realized the Big 12 didn't do that anymore.

The ironic thing about all the crying, is that with each level of expansion the doors have actually been opened WIDER. There are going to be a lot more P5 teams when this round is complete.

But I realize this doesn't fit in with the overall narrative that college football sucks so by all means carry on
I'm not saying that their motives were pure and noble, but that the moves were about some form of "getting better". Better situation, better resources, better money to get better results. What I said about Texas and Oklahoma is I have doubts that moving to the SEC is actually increasing their chances of winning and being successful compared to where they are in the Big 12. Maybe they've convinced themselves it will and who knows, it's not impossible that it could, but it doesn't look like that from the outside to me. It just looks like they will be able to boast more money and pay people more to win less; like taking a hit to success to pad pockets.

Both of them are already near the top in money, Texas is #1 and Oklahoma is only behind a few SEC schools. Maybe Oklahoma needs that bit more to get what they want, though the differences between them and the SEC teams above them is not relatively large, but Texas sure as hell doesn't. If we're in the state where these teams Need to move to the SEC to compete, that also is a comment on the state of things.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
will never happen, but if the other conferences had a set of balls, they'd pull out and let the SEC try to make it on their own. The year of Covid when they had to play each other they didn't like so much . When they no longer have cupcakes 4 times a year they will sing a new tune. As for the others, join together for another title, similar to what the coaches poll and AP used to be. Let's level the playing field. 99% of the teams outside of the SEC don't have a fair chance to make the playoff anyway. Ga got ass beat, didn't win conference but the "powers" behind the curtain slotted them anyway. Stop being dictated to by that jerk commissioner and walk away.
I mean...Georgia was the best team. Lost one game to the 2nd best team. Essentially steamrolled every other opponent. I hate watching them succeed and Tech flounder, but that's where we are right now. Georgia was the top At Large bid under any criteria for a playoff format. I'd love expansion to 8 teams with the power 5 champions guaranteed a slot, and the highest rated G5 team guaranteed a slot. I see no merit to an argument that the other conferences need to leave the current format or whatever....

What the other conferences need to do is beat the MFers. Invest in your program like the SEC does, improve the product on the field, and win the damn ballgames. Push the limits of the rules if you must. The only argument to leaving would be to force the hand of some of these large TV providers to spread their contracts more evenly. However, they pay based on eyeballs and their potential return. SEC is the center of the CFB universe, so not surprising their contract is way more valuable than anyone else.

Tech, the school, needs to decide that football is important to raising the profile of the school. Take some of our endowment money and invest into football. Improve facilities, recruiting, coaching/assistants, etc... decide that it matters for GT to be relevant in football. Our small fanbase just can't do the heavy lifting alone comparatively to a UGA fanbase, etc. If the school invests in key athletics programs, then there will be a return in not only athletics revenue, but also higher interest from potential excellent students who want a decent athletics program as part of their college experience.

originalwombat

Damn Good Rat
I've never been a defeatist and have always said Tech playing football was always going to be like having one hand tied behind your back in a fist fight, but now it's like we have two hands tied and we keep kicking ourselves in the nuts. I'll always love Tech and my love is deeper than football, but it really isn't fun anymore.
Goddam that's depressing and accurate.

thegtstunner08

Earl of Cheap Seats and Cold Pizza
I mean...Georgia was the best team. Lost one game to the 2nd best team. Essentially steamrolled every other opponent. I hate watching them succeed and Tech flounder, but that's where we are right now. Georgia was the top At Large bid under any criteria for a playoff format. I'd love expansion to 8 teams with the power 5 champions guaranteed a slot, and the highest rated G5 team guaranteed a slot. I see no merit to an argument that the other conferences need to leave the current format or whatever....

What the other conferences need to do is beat the MFers. Invest in your program like the SEC does, improve the product on the field, and win the damn ballgames. Push the limits of the rules if you must. The only argument to leaving would be to force the hand of some of these large TV providers to spread their contracts more evenly. However, they pay based on eyeballs and their potential return. SEC is the center of the CFB universe, so not surprising their contract is way more valuable than anyone else.

Tech, the school, needs to decide that football is important to raising the profile of the school. Take some of our endowment money and invest into football. Improve facilities, recruiting, coaching/assistants, etc... decide that it matters for GT to be relevant in football. Our small fanbase just can't do the heavy lifting alone comparatively to a UGA fanbase, etc. If the school invests in key athletics programs, then there will be a return in not only athletics revenue, but also higher interest from potential excellent students who want a decent athletics program as part of their college experience.
Bravo!

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
Some of you guys need to breathe and stop buying into the SEC fans’ farts.

Take out Urban Meyer and Nick Saban and suddenly the SEC looks very average. A few pop up great seasons but nothing sustained. When Saban retires from Alabama and appoints Kirby Smart his successor Georgia is not going to backfill that role and go on a tear. Urban didn’t have any problem beating the big bad SEC at Ohio State

There are good programs in the SEC but their postseason is an old familiar tune. 1 or 2 really good programs and a bunch of wannabes.

whiskey clear

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Come on guys! As Pepper Rogers used to say after a loss " we lost a game, but the sun will rise tomorrow " . Tech football will move on toward the 2022 season. They need O & D linemen and a dependable QB that can play a full season without injuries. Changes have been made in the coaching area and Tstan knows there is problem within the Tech Nation! So lets just all stfu, stop the pessimism and rancor, get to the games and watch what happens! Pity parties are no way to live life!!!
Watching a Collins coached team is just as bad as watching mutts vs bama in a repeat For the natty. No it’s worse. At least bama and mutts are well coached teams.

rocky top buzz

Varsity Lurker
Some of you guys need to breathe and stop buying into the SEC fans’ farts.

Take out Urban Meyer and Nick Saban and suddenly the SEC looks very average. A few pop up great seasons but nothing sustained. When Saban retires from Alabama and appoints Kirby Smart his successor Georgia is not going to backfill that role and go on a tear. Urban didn’t have any problem beating the big bad SEC at Ohio State

There are good programs in the SEC but their postseason is an old familiar tune. 1 or 2 really good programs and a bunch of wannabes.
Zero chance Kirby leaves his alma mater to go to bama. No clue what gets Kirby out of there, maybe the Falcons at some point. Otherwise it's like Saban and I bet he'll succeed for years to come.

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
An extra $5M per year
There's no reason to think U[sic]GA doesn't have enough money to keep him happy, and Bama would be a lateral move at best -- similar potential but virtually impossible to live up to the legacy of the previous guy.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
That's just not right. The intellect of the Alabama and Georgia fan bases is higher than ours. The way I know is that they would not tolerate three years of miserable mega crap, and we do. We're stupid, not them.
Well, at least Saban and Smart, per their interview on NIL/TP, are smart enuf to know that if the golden goose dies, so do they. This will probably take Congress and the SCOTUS to tame the beast, which means we are......scarewed.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
Man, y’all are some depressing dudes. Nothing has really changed. We’ve gone from an era where sports editors picked national champs based on back door arm twisting and regional bias to now an invited only 4 team party with a bouncer (ESPN) at the door. I’ve been arguing about this since I was 10 years old and asked the obvious question on New Year’s Day of why isn’t the #1 team playing the #2 team? Why are we watching #1 play #11 and #2 playing #16 and then a day later being a shown a map of where the AP votes for each team came from. It’s always been a corrupt joke. Today is no different so I don’t understand the angst now. Y’all do realize we were 1 coach away from switching his vote to no 1990 Natty. And we were clearly the best team. But we had no media beholden to us. The west was all Colorado and the southeast media didn’t want anymore competition to their schools so we were on our own and lost the AP. An expanded playoff (while not perfect) is the only way to ensure the little guy gets an invite. Take Wake or Pitt this year. They would have at least had a shot to prove themselves like hopefully we will in the near future.
OJ, the CFP, expanded or not, can not undo the damage of NIL/TP. It will simply mean the Champ of NFL Jr. will be more fairly determined, which will be meaningless because the product itself is corrupted waaay more than it was before.

OptionJacket

Damn Good Rat
OJ, the CFP, expanded or not, can not undo the damage of NIL/TP. It will simply mean the Champ of NFL Jr. will be more fairly determined, which will be meaningless because the product itself is corrupted waaay more than it was before.
I just disagree. The high end players have had NIL for years. It was just done in private. Herschel, Bo, Cam, all of them. Now that it is out in the open many fans are finally waking up. Just because you are finally waking up to the corruption doesn’t mean the product is more corrupt. It’s been corrupt and players have been paid for decades. As for the transfer portal, I believe it’s a good thing. If coaches can come and go so should the players. And GT has benefited just as much from the portal as anyone. We lost Gibbs because we stunk and he lost faith. I have no problem with that.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
I just disagree. The high end players have had NIL for years. It was just done in private. Herschel, Bo, Cam, all of them. Now that it is out in the open many fans are finally waking up. Just because you are finally waking up to the corruption doesn’t mean the product is more corrupt. It’s been corrupt and players have been paid for decades. As for the transfer portal, I believe it’s a good thing. If coaches can come and go so should the players. And GT has benefited just as much from the portal as anyone. We lost Gibbs because we stunk and he lost faith. I have no problem with that.
Yeah, it's just the degree that is much different. A lot of drinking went on during prohibition, but a LOT more went on (thank goodness! :>) after it became legal. As for NIL, now even high school kids are caught up in it. As for the TP, it's kinda the same thing in that it's truly free agency---free in the sense that there's nothing the player has to pay in order to let the school down that took a chance on him. IOW, too much of a good thing is not a good thing, especially if it kills the consumer of said good thing. Me me me me me, is not an improvement path for CFB.
Just because the big bucks media and the sec has poisoned the punch bowl, doesn't mean the players should turn into spoiled selfish brats.

When the last of the WWII generation dies, the World will miss them terribly. No mods, this is not a political statement, but rather a character statement.

andrew

Just because the big bucks media and the sec has poisoned the punch bowl, doesn't mean the players should turn into spoiled selfish brats.
The problem is that statement doesn't really hold up if you tweak it a little:

"Just because the coaches who recruited the players abandon their teams and switch schools before their bowl games to get $10 million paydays doesn't mean the players should turn into selfish spoiled brats who opt out of bowl games and switch schools in between seasons."

ScionOfSouthland

Dodd-Like
There's no reason to think U[sic]GA doesn't have enough money to keep him happy, and Bama would be a lateral move at best -- similar potential but virtually impossible to live up to the legacy of the previous guy.
Maybe, but $5M is a lot of money and the infrastructure is already in place at Alabama to run things in the vein of Saban and Smart’s style. Smart is also going to be the #1 target for succession and it will be by a long shot compared to whatever other candidates are available. I wouldn’t dismiss it as a real possibility

andrew

Maybe, but $5M is a lot of money and the infrastructure is already in place at Alabama to run things in the vein of Saban and Smart’s style. Smart is also going to be the #1 target for succession and it will be by a long shot compared to whatever other candidates are available. I wouldn’t dismiss it as a real possibility
It is a lot of money. It will be interesting to see what Kirby's new contract is. I imagine he will get one this offseason.