Collins after Pitt

But based on the question and the current/potential future state, which program has more upside?
Of course GT, not even close.
Duke has only had two brief periods of success over past 60 years, lots of issues, much less likely to get recruits. Cut on his last legs. Trying the Stanford of the East branding, but 4 stars are more interested in playing on Sunday than getting a quasi Ivy degree. The 2-3 stars who want Ivy can skip Duke and play for Harvard if they have a 1250 SAT and 3.5.
Anyway, this is a GT board so reiterate I think we are in way, way better shape in football.
I trust we can win next week, if not…wtf.

I actually understand your point of view and your points are valid. Obviously you weren’t at the va tech game in 2019. But I actually put today in to context because for the first time in Collins tenure I feel like I can put the loss into context and identify exactly why we lost.

1. Trenches
We lined up and dared them to run and tried to get pressure with 3. It worked against uNC and not today. Additionally our O line had their worst performance of the year.

2. Red zone play calling, penalties and mistakes.

Team may not be true Freshman but they are still young and Immature. That’s the ball game. Improve the lines just a bit and we win.
Agree. But WHY OH WHY did we continue to only have 3 down linemen when it was SO obvious that we were going to continually get gashed unless we got more QB pressure???

And, that stupid draw play that we ran every other play wasn't fooling anyone in the stadium (except for Pnode apparently).

After this there will a dramatic decrease in the interest in GT football this year
We might beat dook
So what
We will lose more than we will win going forward
This year anyway
A serious program would not tolerate this
But we aren’t serious- we are half ass
We only pay serious money
Then we hold no one accountable
Because of the ridiculous contracts we are forced to enter into

Restaurant.jpg

Waffle.jpg

Pecan Waffles for Everyone!!!

We won’t win consistently with this coaching staff. If fans feel this way then surely recruits do too.

Every Coach knows that you start your Team with OLs, then DLs, so when an OL hits the Portal, that previous HC didn't try too hard to keep him.

Most teams rotate maybe 7 OLs early in the season due to warm weather, so when a guy hits the Portal he might not have been projected to be in the Top7 that next season (all hypothetical of course)
Johnson was an average offensive lineman at UT. He is now in his sixth season. He will not get better. We need to give a younger player a chance.
Cochran was an all SEC offensive lineman at Vandy. My impression is he is doing his job.

After this there will a dramatic decrease in the interest in GT football this year
We might beat dook
So what
We will lose more than we will win going forward
This year anyway
A serious program would not tolerate this
But we aren’t serious- we are half ass
We only pay serious money
Then we hold no one accountable
Because of the ridiculous contracts we are forced to enter into
The assistant contracts are shorter term. TStan needs to have a serious conversation with Collins about staff performance.

Johnson was an average offensive lineman at UT. He is now in his sixth season. He will not get better. We need to give a younger player a chance.
Cochran was an all SEC offensive lineman at Vandy. My impression is he is doing his job.
No, Cochran has done well pass blocking, but is awful in run blocking. PFF grades players in both run and pass blocking, and he has been consistently poor. Even worse than that rest of our OL, actually.

No, Cochran has done well pass blocking, but is awful in run blocking. PFF grades players in both run and pass blocking, and he has been consistently poor. Even worse than that rest of our OL, actually.
If Cochran has regressed, that raises my concern about our OL coach and it was already high.

It's disconcerting that, though I see improvement occasionally out of the team, I don't see much out of the HC. Still some strange decisions with clock management, going for it/not-going for it, play calling, etc.

It's too bad - Unlike some previous HCs, I think he loves GT and really badly wants to win here but he kinda looks like he's in over his head when it comes purely to gameday coaching. He's got recruiting down and other crap but man, I don't see any improvement on the sidelines on gameday in three years.

He needs to fire P-Nut ASAP and put Thacker on watch too. His loyalty to these two may ultimately be his downfall. P-nut has no business on a P5 sideline calling offensive plays. The man is completely incompetent as an OC.
All of this.
Honestly, blaming this loss on Pdude, Key, or the OL is pretty stupid, if you're ignoring the fact THAT WE GAVE UP 52 ööööING POINTS! And should've been 59.
Dumb take. If we're going to play the "should've been" game then why not just get rid of the two picks at the start? We got our asses kicked, it ööööing sucks, it is unacceptable, but it wasn't the end of the world or the Collins era or the campaign, no matter how much some of you want it to be.

Won't bother repeating the same common sense lines that elude a startling number of you, but we have more games to play and the story of the season will be told once it's complete. Not the next time you twats come up with an oh-so-witty crack about "juice" or "culture."

Even with this pitiful loss, we have more potential than in a long time. I’m happy to hold judgement until midway into next season. I’m still on the CGC train for now.

We will beat the snot out of Duke next week and then have a bye week to regroup. I’m staying positive.
We might beat Duke. We should beat Duke. There’s no reason to expect any victories right now. We never know which team will show up. Last season we had a “sigh of relief” game against Louisville. Then lost 3 straight games. The pattern was home-road-home. The first part was Clemson 73-7. This felt a bit like that only the opponent was worse. Then we went to BC a decent enough team. Got ragdolled. I do not expect to beat anyone anymore. It’s a complete surprise when it happens. Maybe that’s a good thing. It makes them more meaningful.

Back