Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

it is the beginning of the end

your points make sense. another point against this move would be we pretty much gave up all our leverage to get ND to treat us like Big East. Although I would like to think that if ND were to have their fb program join another conference, Swofford was smart to add the fine print saying that getting rid of the 5 games voids the whole deal. Like you said, it's hard to gauge this as a great deal or the worst ever, I just hope we play them at home in 2015. Should make a helluva home schedule with Clemson, VT, ND, Southern and Georgia (and NCState and UNC).

I think D-Rad is going to push really hard to get our first home ND game in an "off" year.

I also bet he's going to push big time to get VT or Clemson flipped to the other year when we go to 9 games.

Whether he succeeds or not is another issue entirely, but I think he's going to push as hard as he can.

ND will try to straddle between being Independent and being an ACC member until they have a reason to join a conference. An example of such a reason would be if the 4 team playoff would highly favor teams from major conferences and would not make a special exception for Independents.

ND is all about tradition, and the B1G presents the most traditional foes for them (UMich, MSU, PSU, Purdue, Northwestern, and Nebraska), with the ACC coming in a close second (GT, BC, Miami, Pitt). Having ND's foot in the door, I think it gives us that competitive advantage over the B1G in securing ND as a new member. If we could coax PSU over to the ACC, it would put 5 traditional opponents in our conference, tying the B1G.

ND will try to straddle between being Independent and being an ACC member until they have a reason to join a conference. An example of such a reason would be if the 4 team playoff would highly favor teams from major conferences and would not make a special exception for Independents.

ND is all about tradition, and the B1G presents the most traditional foes for them (UM, MSU, PSU, Northwestern, and Nebraska), with the ACC coming in a close second (GT, BC, Miami, Pitt). Having ND's foot in the door, I think it gives us that competitive advantage over the B1G in securing ND as a new member.

The $50M exit fee is a really big foot in the door :cool:

ND is all about tradition, and the B1G presents the most traditional foes for them (UM, MSU, PSU, Northwestern, and Nebraska), with the ACC coming in a close second (GT, BC, Miami, Pitt). Having ND's foot in the door, I think it gives us that competitive advantage over the B1G in securing ND as a new member.

The B1G is a pretty bad fit for ND. I've gone into detail about this before, I'll try and find the post in a bit.

Main reason that won't happen is that every school wants to play Miami and FSU so that they get exposure in Florida as much as possible. More D1 recruits come out of Florida than anywhere else on the east coast. If ND got to pick they'd probably play FSU and Miami every year and rotate the other 3 games.
I don't buy this. The main reason they went with Atlantic and Coastal crap is because they wanted a Miami/FSU championship game every season. Now, they'll want FSU or Miami / ND game every year. Plus, ND would he retarded to want a harder division schedule. I bet they'd push to send VPI down there.

Cuse, BC, Maryland, Pitt, UVA, VPI, Duke, Wake? You know they'll try to pull UNC in for VPI. I would. That's a free ride to the one game you need to win to make it to the BCS.

Just read through the thread (been on the road all day).

First off, half of you guys are retart.

2nd, this is AWESOME! We just landed the biggest piece of the puzzle remaining in the Expansion Games and firmly cemented the ACC as one of the remaining power conferences. 50 mill if you want to leave fellas!

ND is all about tradition, and the B1G presents the most traditional foes for them (UMich, MSU, PSU, Purdue, Northwestern, and Nebraska), with the ACC coming in a close second (GT, BC, Miami, Pitt). Having ND's foot in the door, I think it gives us that competitive advantage over the B1G in securing ND as a new member. If we could coax PSU over to the ACC, it would put 5 traditional opponents in our conference, tying the B1G.

You left out Maryland and Syracuse who they have on their schedule now. You also ignore my previous post where I pointed out that both MSU and Purdue are not on some of their future schedules.

Seems like a good deal. Not perfect, but I like it for now..... I'd assume the ND fans love this deal.

I think D-Rad is going to push really hard to get our first home ND game in an "off" year.

I also bet he's going to push big time to get VT or Clemson flipped to the other year when we go to 9 games.

Whether he succeeds or not is another issue entirely, but I think he's going to push as hard as he can.

I think we are going to play Clemson away both this year and next to get them flipped to the even year at BDS. It would be nice to host ND in an even year with them with VT and UGA being the odd year.

I don't think $50 million is any kind of deterrent to ND

My only fear with this deal is when teams go to 16 and ND has to move, will the revenue split be equal. To me THAT is the most important aspect of their future membership.

I think we are going to play Clemson away both this year and next to get them flipped to the even year at BDS. It would be nice to host ND in an even year with them with VT and UGA being the odd year.

Excellent point. Hadn't thought of that yet.

Agreed, and the ACC is clearly negotiating from a position of power as the top-regarded BCS conference. If Notre Dame thinks they can take their national appeal, millions upon millions of fans, and massive media coverage and play chicken with us, they're dead wrong. We don't need the benefit of any of that five times a year in the ACC.

Ha! Awesome. They are tied to our non BCS bowls too.

If this is a basketball move, then that makes it even worse, since it entrenches the TRM's point of view of the conference even further.

Come on man, you are better than this. Of course this is NOT a basketball move.

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-b...until-notre-dame-is-playing-acc-football-too/

Mark Bradley article on Notre Dame and the ACC.

from the article...

"And here’s the other deft trick Swofford turned: He upped the buyout fee for anyone wishing to leave the ACC to $50 million. That’s up from $20 million, and that’s a cost no university can begin to pay."

Hell of an endorsement from ol' Bark.

That article makes it sound as if, indeed, we own a shiny new ND football program for all intents and purposes. :biggthumpup:

This is a good thing for ACC all the way. Even if ND plays only 5 ACC teams a year. That could change after '15 when their contract is up. Plus, I don't ever recall seeing a clause with their entrance into the Big East where they had to play a certain amount of teams in that conference. So this is a better deal in my opinion.
Also, add in the new $50 million exit fee, no one is leaving anytime soon, including ND.. Yes, ND, FSU and Clemson rake in the dough in athletics, but they not gonna flip that kind of money out just to leave now this conference now.
Win situation for ACC

Ha! Awesome. They are tied to our non BCS bowls too.

Yeah, but by the time the 5 football game deal begins in 2014, we'll be able to renegotiate with bowl partners and probably add an additional, if not better, bowl tie-in.

We're not married but they're living with us come bowl season, so it's basically a common law marriage in terms of bowls and will only help the league with future bowl negotiations and prospects.

Back