Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

a5ehren

Damn Good Rat
@McMurphyESPN Notre Dame will join ACC as full member w/exception of football. ND will play 5 FB games annually v ACC, sources told @espn

Whaaaaaaaaaa

Edit: Confirmed by the ACC, press release coming soon.

Last edited:
Re: Rumor: ND to make a deal with ACC

As long as you must win at least 6 conf games for the ACC-C, that's fine with me.

Sad that even though I could only see "Notre Dame to join ACC.." when I got the mobile news alert, I knew it was going to say "except football." I'll take it though. Awesome.

Full member?? Sounds like partial member to me.

The first step to full football membership in the ACC? It is inevitable that they will have to join a conference, so now it seems like it will be the ACC, eventually.

I hate giving anyone special treatment, but in the long run, this might be the best move for the ACC. Eventually, ND will/should join a conference for football and already housing their other sports will make it a much easier decision to just add football down the road.

Boo. Tell them to play 9 games like the rest of us. This is crap.

Confirmed by the ACC. Press release pending.

Five conference football games...every other sport full time...hm....

Close enough that it hurts, doesn't it? I really would not have said that if it was remotely possible in my mind. I'm terrified of urine.

A 20 team ACC with 4 divisions with 5 teams each
With a 4-2-1 conference schedule would allow ND
to keep 5 OOC games per year.

This is BS. They should have to play a full regular conference schedule just like everybody else.

I'm not really sure why anybody is upset about this. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems likely that if Notre Dame ever does decide to join a conference in football, the odds would now be good that they'd come to the ACC, right? I'm not naive enough to believe that they swore a pinky promise to Swofford and now it's FOR REAL but it seems like they must like something about the ACC.

Outstanding news.

If ND ever decides to really join as opposed to 'friends with benefits', I think the ACC will split into 3 divisions.

The two existing divisions + Pitt + Syracuse will remain the same and a third division will consist solely of Notre freakin' Dame who shall not be required to schedule any ACC teams during the regular season.

The ACCCG will then consist of two games: The winner of the first game between the regular season champs of the two existing divisions will go on to meet Notre Dame in the ACCCG² and the winner of that game will represent the ACC in the hunt for the MNC.

Back