Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

The first step. I see them eventually becoming a full member in the ACC. We'll just have to find another team to make it to 16.

This is BS. They should have to play a full regular conference schedule just like everybody else.

Agreed, and the ACC is clearly negotiating from a position of power as the top-regarded BCS conference. If Notre Dame thinks they can take their national appeal, millions upon millions of fans, and massive media coverage and play chicken with us, they're dead wrong. We don't need the benefit of any of that five times a year in the ACC.

Can't we just vote someone off the island to stay at 14? I vote we send Wake packing. What value do they have?

Does this move get us more $$$?

Hmm, how does this affect the drinking of urine proclamations?

Someone's probably going to say I'm backing out, but I was talking about football. I'd assume that SEB was doing the same. IIRC, the thread I posted it in was football-centric.

If they announced at 10AM that ND had changed their mind and would, in fact, be joining for football as well - then SEB and I have some business to handle.

HOLY $HIT

WOW

(this guy mcmurphy is reliable btw, espn just got him from CBS)

Out of any of the conferences they could join, the ACC is probably the best fit in terms of teams and academics. It just seems like a gay way for the ACC to have more OOC games tied up. Not to mention, somehow, some way, GT will screwed as a result.

Give Swofford some credit on this one. He might also be working a deal with Penn St. He seems to be a sly fox in these realignment negotiations. Could there also be an ACC/NBC deal in the works for when the ND contract expires in 2015? It would be great for the ACC if it did work out that way, with 16 teams and an exclusive deal with a major broadcast network.

The first questions that come to my mind are:

- Who gets the five games in the ACC and how are they decided each year

- How do the Irish play into the ACC bowl contracts, especially the Orange

The first step. I see them eventually becoming a full member in the ACC. We'll just have to find another team to make it to 16.

And if they do, adding the right 16th member could possibly turn the ACC back into one of the power conferences. Of course, this conference has a talent for squandering great opportunities like that.

Give Swofford some credit on this one. He might also be working a deal with Penn St. He seems to be a sly fox in these realignment negotiations. Could there also be an ACC/NBC deal in the works for when the ND contract expires in 2015? It would be great for the ACC it did work out that way, with 16 teams and an exclusive deal with a major broadcast network.

Our ESPN deal doesn't run out until like 2021. We'll probably get to renegotiate thanks to this, though.

Here's another interesting bit from the ACC press release:

In addition to extending an invitation to Notre Dame, the Council of Presidents voted to increase the conference exit fees to three times the annual operating budget. Currently this would equate to an exit fee of over $50 million.

Here's another interesting bit from the ACC press release:

In addition to extending an invitation to Notre Dame, the Council of Presidents voted to increase the conference exit fees to three times the annual operating budget. Currently this would equate to an exit fee of over $50 million.

Pre-nuptial stipulations are always a little awkward.

Our ESPN deal doesn't run out until like 2021. We'll probably get to renegotiate thanks to this, though.

Probably? ESPN would fall all over themselves renegotiating with us if Notre Dame was actually going to join our conference full time for football.

Under this agreement though I don't think the TV contracts will be affected too much. Does this mean we will have 15 teams for all non-football sports?

This is crap....Swoffard looks like a little bitch right now for letting ND get there way witht he ACC...

Penn State might be wise to consider a complete overhaul at this point, conference included. ACC may be a nice way to close the book on the Paterno/Sandusky chapter and move on.

Probably? ESPN would fall all over themselves renegotiating with us if Notre Dame was actually going to join our conference full time for football.

Under this agreement though I don't think the TV contracts will be affected too much. Does this mean we will have 15 teams for all non-football sports?

Well the ACC isn't at 14 in everything right now (notably, GT doesn't play soccer or lacrosse in the conference), so I'm not sure what that gets it to in the other sports.

But yeah, this will get us a bump from ESPN. Also of note is that this move comes during the Big East's negotiation period with ESPN. I guess the money there is going to be pretty bad to force this move.

GAaayyyyy. They should be a full member in FOOTBALL AS WELL.
Give it time - if this was Swofford's way to steal ND from our competitors then I'll give him credit for it. They'll have to go full member on the ACC eventually. Er... you know what I mean.

This is crap....Swoffard looks like a little bitch right now for letting ND get there way witht he ACC...

You guys just won $1,000 on a scratch-off and you decided to shoot yourselves when you remembered you have to pay taxes on it.

Seriously, how is this not a good thing?

Back