Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

Give Swofford some credit on this one. He might also be working a deal with Penn St. He seems to be a sly fox in these realignment negotiations. Could there also be an ACC/NBC deal in the works for when the ND contract expires in 2015? It would be great for the ACC if it did work out that way, with 16 teams and an exclusive deal with a major broadcast network.

First, the therapists then the rapists. I don't even know what that means it was just the first thing that popped into my mind.

You guys just won $1,000 on a scratch-off and you decided to shoot yourselves when you remembered you have to pay taxes on it.

Seriously, how is this not a good thing?

It's not a bad thing I guess....Swoffard still looks like he just bent over and took it up the poop shute...

This is crap....Swoffard looks like a little bitch right now for letting ND get there way witht he ACC...

Are you serious? Swofford looks like a genius right now...oh wait, the maternity ward conference just ran again, he's back to looking like a little bitch.

But seriously, this is a fantastic move. There is absolutely no downside to it. It's great for us short term since they bring a big basketball presence and five huge football games a year, it's great for us long term since we are now the undisputed favorite if ND decides to join a football conference...what is there not to love?

This is a big feather in Swofford's cap. He has arguably played the whole "expansion era" better than any other conference commissioner after this move.

You guys just won $1,000 on a scratch-off and you decided to shoot yourselves when you remembered you have to pay taxes on it.

Seriously, how is this not a good thing?

+1

I think it's a smart move by Swofford. It's probably the only way we could get their foot in our door.

It's a bitch move because it's completely basketball-centric. Because the ACC will be so obsessed with how it improves basketball coverage, they won't have any leverage to ever make ND be a full conference member in football.

Quality move, even at half-member status.

When does ND's NBC contract run out? When they play an ACC "conference" game, who broadcasts the game?

Now if we'll pick up Penn State it gives us clear North/South divisions in both football and basketball.

FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami, UNC, Duke, NC State, WF

ND, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, VT, UVA, Maryland, PSU

Anybody who doesn't see that this is a positive move for the ACC is retartar.

I think it is a good move...no doubt...just wish it didnt look like the ACC was bowing down to the almighty Notre Dame....

North/South divisions in both football and basketball.

FSU, Clemson, GT, Miami, UNC, Duke, NC State, WF

ND, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, VT, UVA, Maryland, PSU

Miami will be in the northern division, UVA in the southern.

Essentially, the old big east, the old ACC, with Maryland getting screwed over.

Whenever you consider football divisions, there are a couple of rules in the ACC:

1) UNC-UVA must play every year.
2) UNC-Duke must play every year.
3) UNC-Duke-WF-UVA-NCST must be grouped together if at all possible, or the groupings must maximize the number of times these teams play each other.
-------------

Those are the basic rules. By setting FSU-Miami as a cross-division match up this still happens.

I suspect, with 16 teams, however, we'll go to a pod system.

I think it is a good move...no doubt...just wish it didnt look like the ACC was bowing down to the almighty Notre Dame....

I don't see so much "bowing down" as I see "getting a foot in the door".

It doesn't, except to a few deluded ACC fans who feel that ND's ability to be (now partially) independent in football isn't "fair".

790 just said ND would be full time football once antoher team is added and sides are even...

What is the fascination with N.D. that allows them to kinda sorta be a member of the ACC?

I like the move - the five football games is fine. We now have an uneven number for basketball and other sports - why not go after Georgetown for an even number?

I don't see so much "bowing down" as I see "getting a foot in the door".

Exactly. Nobody with any intelligence is looking at this and laughing at the ACC. And if the only real "negative" is that some people in this conference are worried about how this looks, then I'll take it all day, every day.

Back