Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

I think the biggest question is....

Will the "required" ACC/ND games count as a league game? How does that affect our OOC scheduling being that we have Pitt/Syr added for extra conference games? Technically it is a conference game but not? We will see... I totally see this as a one foot in the door scenario. To Hell with ND.

It won't count as a conference game. It's merely a scheduling agreement/leverage with ESPN for now.

So by the time they join, we'll have this schedule every 3 years:
9 ACC games
1 ND game
1 UGA game
1 cupcake

Other years:
9 ACC games
1 UGA game
2 cupcakes

If we get 16 teams, it should go to 4 divisions of 4 teams. Imagine our South Division with GT, FSU, Miami, and Clemson!! WooT!

Is there something in the contract that says we can kick them out in 2015 (or whenever their NBC contract expires) if they don't join football completely? I'm thinking that their other sports will get so addicted to ACC basketball, lacrosse, baseball, etc. that there is no way they will actually leave the conference, so they will fold and join ACC football?????

Is there something in the contract that says we can kick them out in 2015 (or whenever their NBC contract expires) if they don't join football completely? I'm thinking that their other sports will get so addicted to ACC basketball, lacrosse, baseball, etc. that there is no way they will actually leave the conference, so they will fold and join ACC football?????

Don't know, but I doubt it's that harsh. Full details aren't out yet.

If there is a rule to there inclusion that they have to join in football in a certain period of time, then I am for this. But I am pretty skeptical that they will join in football...

Also, Indiana touches Lake Michigan, but surely there's a river/canal that runs to the Atlantic... got to get over that little loophole. :rolleyes:

How on Earth can this be a bad thing? As long as ND IS NOT eligible to play in the ACCCG with fewer league games I'm cool with it.

And of course if they continue their slide and can't get that exclusive NBC deal any longer we know exactly where they will land as permanent members. Them and Pedo State would be perfect for moving to a 4 division alignment.

South: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson (the ownage division)
NC: UNC, NCST, Duke, WF
Mid-atlantic: UVA, VT, Maryland, Pitt
North: BC, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Penn St

Championship rules: the two teams with the best conference record play for the championship game UNLESS they are in the same division. Then the leader of that division plays the next highest. Same tie-breaker rules apply for division ties.

Scheduling: You play every member of your division plus 1 rotating member of each division plus 1 permanent cross division rival to give 7 games (room for an extra cupcake).

Permanent rivals:
GT - VT
Miami - Notre Dame
Pitt - Penn St
Syracuse - WF
BC - Duke
UVA - UNC
FSU - NCST
Clemson - Maryland

Huge fanbase, will give us complete dominance of Pittsburgh TV market.
Don't stop there - add Maryland, Washington DC, Philadelphia, all of New Jersey, New York and a chunk of Ohio.

Also, Indiana touches Lake Michigan, but surely there's a river/canal that runs to the Atlantic... got to get over that little loophole. :rolleyes:

The name of the conference is meaningless. The Big East is adding San Diego State and Boise State, FFS.

Nm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

[FONT=&quot]FROM CNNSI:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Notre Dame has announced that all sports but football and hockey are leaving the Big East for the ACC, a move that will require the Irish to play five football games against ACC opponents each season.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The move may cost the Irish some traditional opponents in football, as a Notre Dame official said the school's top priorities in football scheduling moving forward will be to retain a West Coast presence -- games against USC and Stanford -- and the annual game with Navy. That means Notre Dame's games against some of its Midwest opponents could be in danger.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The timing of the departure is "very murky," a Notre Dame official said. The earliest Notre Dame could leave the Big East without penalty is 2015.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Notre Dame officials said the move will align the university with more like-minded schools in markets up and down the East Coast in which Notre Dame wants to gain exposure. Notre Dame had flirted with a scheduling arrangement with the Big 12 and joining that conference in other sports, but this move appears more logical than playing games in obscure Midwest markets. <<<(Was this a GFY to BIG10 Commish Jim Delaney?)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"In any short-term way there's no financial benefit," the official said. "If we wanted to do something for money we would have joined the Big Ten. What it's really about is postseason play."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The official added: "It's a really good fit academically. There are sports that we're going to play, the non-football sports are very good and they're going to test us."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The ACC also announced another important move to sure up the future of its conference, as the presidents upped the league's exit fee to $50 million[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. While there was rampant speculation earlier this summer that schools like Florida State, Miami and Clemson could go to the Big 12, this decision essentially ends the threat of an ACC school leaving for another league.[/FONT]

Add a 16th team and move to a 7 game conference schedule (Either two divisions of 8 or the 4 pod system where you rotate who you play each year). ND is never going to agree to a 9 game conference schedule and I think moving to 9 was dumb in the first place.

Nm.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

We have availability for 2016. And if we are able to swing ND in an even year, that at least gives us a sellout game in the non UGA/Clemson/VT years.

If we get 16 teams, it should go to 4 divisions of 4 teams. Imagine our South Division with GT, FSU, Miami, and Clemson!! WooT!

I wouldn't want to imagine that. Any of the 4 teams would be capable of going 0-3 in the division every year.

Pod1: GT, MIA, UNC, DUKE
POD2: FSU, CLEM, NC STATE, WAKE
POD3: ND, PITT, BC, CUSE
POD4:VT, UVA, MARYLAND, RUTGERS/NAVY/PSU/UCONN/LOUISVILLE

Scheduling would require 3 div games and 2 permanent out of div rival games.

We have availability for 2016. And if we are able to swing ND in an even year, that at least gives us a sellout game in the non UGA/Clemson/VT years.

I imagine that's going to change anyway with the addition of Pitt and Syr.

I wouldn't want to imagine that. Any of the 4 teams would be capable of going 0-3 in the division every year.

Pod1: GT, MIA, UNC, DUKE
POD2: FSU, CLEM, NC STATE, WAKE
POD3: ND, PITT, BC, CUSE
POD4:VT, UVA, MARYLAND, RUTGERS/NAVY/PSU/UCONN/LOUISVILLE

Scheduling would require 3 div games and 2 permanent out of div rival games.

It wouldn't really matter how hard your pod is. Once you get matched up against one of the other three pods you will have a balanced schedule, which we don't have now and won't have with 7 team divisions either.

STUPID
STUPID
STUPID

ND already plays 4 games a year against the ACC on average. We're granting them some sort of special status just to get 1 more game a year out of them? What the hell?

Join full or stay home.

I presume they wouldn't be allowed to play for an ACCCG when only playing 5 conference games?

Does the 50million now include notre dame if they leave? If so.. thanks for the cash ND

Back