Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

I can't wait to break out our honey comb helmets and quilted number looking jerseys to show those clowns uniforms done right! :hsughd3:

I love this. For those of you getting all butthurt over this, yesterday we were still daydreaming about a day when ND and/or Penn would join the ACC. This is a move in that direction. Stop whining. This is a win for our conference.

In other news, with the 50 million buyout, we are officially locked into the baby conference FOR EVER. So, I have some broken dreams to mourn now.

So, ND dipping their toe into ACC football just locked every team into a $50mm buyout? Do we get any of their NBC money?

Why would we agree to this at all unless their was some clause that they had to become a full member or pay a huge buyout down the road?

I just don't get why any of the other ACC schools would agree to this.

I love this. For those of you getting all butthurt over this, yesterday we were still daydreaming about a day when ND and/or Penn would join the ACC. This is a move in that direction. Stop whining. This is a win for our conference.

Best argument for being unhappy with this that I've heard is from an image perspective. And people who think it looks bad have their heads up their asses. This is a great move.

So, ND dipping their toe into ACC football just locked every team into a $50mm buyout? Do we get any of their NBC money?

Why would we agree to this at all unless their was some clause that they had to become a full member or pay a huge buyout down the road?

I just don't get why any of the other ACC schools would agree to this.

It's been reported that the 2-3 ND away games vs ACC schools will allow for the ACC to renegotiate its own TV deal for more $. It also strengthens the conference overall which should keep it intact.

What I am unclear about is what happens when ND decides to take its football to another conference. Will they have to take the other sports with them and pay the $50m or because their football program isn't part of the ACC, they can join any other conference?

The deal has to make it harder for them to have their football program associated with any other conference.

QUESTION: Why would ND sign a deal with the ACC/ESPN to join the league as a full member in 2015, when they can just continue to use the ACC and sign their own deal with NBC and keep ALL of the money!!?

Notre Dame has to play 5 ACC teams every year, therefore they can't join another conference for football.

QUESTION: Why would ND sign a deal with the ACC/ESPN to join the league as a full member in 2015, when they can just continue to use the ACC and sign their own deal with NBC and keep ALL of the money!!?

Well that would all depend upon ACC/ESPN $$$ > ND/NBC $$$

Re: Rumor: ND to make a deal with ACC

What would stop them from having football join a different conference?

Guaranteed to play 5 ACC games a season, that leaves them only 7 other games to schedule. Most conferences require 8-9 league games a year. They do not have enough other games to play in another conference.

Guaranteed to play 5 ACC games a season, that leaves them only 7 other games to schedule. Most conferences require 8-9 league games a year. They do not have enough other games to play in another conference.

Right, so most conferences require 8-9 games... and we're only requiring 5. Makes no sense. For football alone, they still have a foot in the door. What is this foot in the door is for? Their deal with NBC?

Them not being a football member means they keep their football tv rights for home games and their deal with NBC. ACC/ESPN would have rights to whichever games are played at ACC schools. I think.

Right, so most conferences require 8-9 games... and we're only requiring 5. Makes no sense. For football alone, they still have a foot in the door. What is this foot in the door is for? Their deal with NBC?

I would bet that in the near future or currently the ACC and ND are talking to ESPN and saying pay us X(where X = ACC ESPN deal + ND NBC deal + extra cash) and in 2015 when ND NBC deal is up, ND will join as a full member of the ACC. ND is locked in until 2015 with NBC so they can't really join a conference full time anyway.

I would bet that in the near future or currently the ACC and ND are talking to ESPN and saying pay us X(where X = ACC ESPN deal + ND NBC deal + extra cash) and in 2015 when ND NBC deal is up, ND will join as a full member of the ACC. ND is locked in until 2015 with NBC so they can't really join a conference full time anyway.

I have a bigger suspiscion that the talks are going the other direction, in order to get NBC Sports an eclusive college sports conference.

-EDIT-

I should add that I don't know the terms of the ESPN agreement at all...so this may be an impossibility.

I wonder if this deal was actually part of the Orange Bowl deal. ND wanted a place for their other sports and a post-season partnership; we get the 5-game lock in football and membership in other sports with high buy-out.

The five games a year cycling through all the ACC teams also gives us ND-NBC money on top of our ESPN contract. ND's contract with NBC might also be helped by the fact that they're going to play two games with teams like GT, Miami, VPI, FSU, Clemson, and UNC every year.

I supported the all or nothing approach, but I can see the upside of this. I also think that with this deal, with PITT, and with Bill O'Brien, PSU might be open to joining the ACC as well.

Back