Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

The ACC also announced another important move to sure up the future of its conference, as the presidents upped the league's exit fee to $50 million. While there was rampant speculation earlier this summer that schools like Florida State, Miami and Clemson could go to the Big 12, this decision essentially ends the threat of an ACC school leaving for another league.

Is ND included in the $50m exit fee? Or are they somehow exempt because they aren't a full member?

Re: Rumor: ND to make a deal with ACC

I hate giving anyone special treatment, but in the long run, this might be the best move for the ACC. Eventually, ND will/should join a conference for football and already housing their other sports will make it a much easier decision to just add football down the road.

said the Big East

Re: Rumor: ND to make a deal with ACC

I hate giving anyone special treatment, but in the long run, this might be the best move for the ACC. Eventually, ND will/should join a conference for football and already housing their other sports will make it a much easier decision to just add football down the road.

What would stop them from having football join a different conference?

STUPID
STUPID
STUPID

ND already plays 4 games a year against the ACC on average. We're granting them some sort of special status just to get 1 more game a year out of them? What the hell?

Join full or stay home.

I presume they wouldn't be allowed to play for an ACCCG when only playing 5 conference games?

OH NO! Anything but SPECIAL STATUS!!!

Seriously people, get over yourselves. Adding ND to our non-football sports is a coup in itself. They are a solid addition to the conference. Having them agree to some extra football games, including 1 guaranteed every 3 years against every ACC opponent, is just icing.

STUPID
STUPID
STUPID

ND already plays 4 games a year against the ACC on average.

If you include Pitt as ACC already

2002: 3
2003: 3
2004: 2
2005: 1
2006: 2
2007: 3
2008: 3
2009: 2
2010: 2
2011: 4
2012: 4

Why do we want Penn State?

What evidence do we have that they'll recover from their own mess?

What evidence is there that they want to leave the Big 10?
The ACC wants Penn State because you effectively give yourself the entire state of PA by doing so, including the Philly market. NYC seems untouchable for CFB.

I only want PSU in the ACC so I can watch Tech games up here. I couldn't care one iota about PSU. Academics aren't bad though.

I'm Ready, Bro

rudy.jpg

I wonder if full member ACC wins and losses against ND will count for or against full ACC members in the standings.

ND already plays 4 games a year against the ACC on average. We're granting them some sort of special status just to get 1 more game a year out of them? What the hell?

don't bother letting facts get in the way...

2012 - 3
2011 - 3
2010 - 1
2009 - 1
2008 - 2
2007 - 3
2006 - 2
2005 - 0
2004 - 1
2003 - 2

and in the future...

2013 - 1 (Pitt)
2014 - 2 (Cuse and Pitt)
2015 - 4 (Wake, Cuse, Pitt, BC)

The move was confirmed in a release by the ACC. A press conference is scheduled for this afternoon in Chapel Hill, N.C.

"We are committed to keeping the Atlantic Coast Conference a vibrant and competitive league dedicated to ensuring the appropriate balance of academics, athletics and integrity," said the ACC Council of Presidents in a joint statement.

Oh the irony.

Add a 16th team and move to a 7 game conference schedule (Either two divisions of 8 or the 4 pod system where you rotate who you play each year). ND is never going to agree to a 9 game conference schedule and I think moving to 9 was dumb in the first place.

This. Once the 4 team playoff is in place you are going to see conferences moving away from having their teams beat up on each other in conference and look to pick up SOS points OOC.

It's a bitch move because it's completely basketball-centric. Because the ACC will be so obsessed with how it improves basketball coverage, they won't have any leverage to ever make ND be a full conference member in football.

what?

Notre Dame is nationally ranked in Lacrosse along with several other ACC schools

Notre Dame is routinely nationally ranked in Women's Soccer among other women's sports, along with several other ACC schools

The fact that Notre Dame also brings basketball to the table isn't something that should be scoffed at.

A fine academic institution, 5 conference football games a year (the fact that they are already playing 4 is immaterial as only ONE (BC) of those is an actual traditional rival, and even that isn't very historic at least not as much as Purdue, Michigan State, Michigan, or Navy (who they already said they will always play).

This is a great get for the ACC. How do you people complaining know that the stipulation from Swofford isn't, "ok we'll give you the 5 game stipulation, but join us full on when your contact expires." I think it may be.

don't bother letting facts get in the way...

2012 - 3
2011 - 3
2010 - 1
2009 - 1
2008 - 2
2007 - 3
2006 - 2
2005 - 0
2004 - 1
2003 - 2

and in the future...

2013 - 1 (Pitt)
2014 - 2 (Cuse and Pitt)
2015 - 4 (Wake, Cuse, Pitt, BC)

They will have to drop Pitt in one of those years, but the rest can stay.... Hopefully GT gets to play them early, we have lots of room in our future schedules.

They will have to drop Pitt in one of those years, but the rest can stay.... Hopefully GT gets to play them early, we have lots of room in our future schedules.

Chick-Fil-A kickoff is the obvious choice here.

I love this. For those of you getting all butthurt over this, yesterday we were still daydreaming about a day when ND and/or Penn would join the ACC. This is a move in that direction. Stop whining. This is a win for our conference.

For 1 more game out of them?

Why are you discounting the impact they will make in non-football sports? You act like it's a burden for us to let them play in our other sports, when really it's a boon in most of them.

Back