Confirmed: ND to make a deal with ACC. 5 FB games/year, full member in others

I like the move - the five football games is fine. We now have an uneven number for basketball and other sports - why not go after Georgetown for an even number?

You're shooting too low. We now have a realistic shot at getting ND to join football full time. We need to go after Penn State hard. If they won't agree, go after Michigan State or Purdue or some other school who has close ties to ND and a good football program.

Exactly. Nobody with any intelligence is looking at this and laughing at the ACC. And if the only real "negative" is that some people in this conference are worried about how this looks, then I'll take it all day, every day.

Well it could cause stability problems (see Big 12/Texas) and we don't know about the revenue sharing details...

But I agree.

What is the fascination with N.D. that allows them to kinda sorta be a member of the ACC?

Maybe you haven't seen their following. Do you realize how many more markets this gets the ACC into? ND is a national team.

Friday night fish fry!

---

The ACC just upped the stakes, and probably killed the Big East all at once. I'm hoping Penn State decides to jump ship too, for selfish reasons. I was adamant that Penn State was going nowhere, but that was before shower parties became common knowledge. Only thing I wonder is if Swofford would take the burned out remains of PSU over Rutgers.

If Swofford somehow manages to get Penn State to join and both them and ND join full time for football, Swofford might have sewn up the unofficial "conference commissioner of the decade" award. The scary thing is that it now seems like that's a real possibility.

I think it is a good move...no doubt...just wish it didnt look like the ACC was bowing down to the almighty Notre Dame....

You realize this is the most that anyone has ever gotten out of ND, right?

This guy doesn't seem too impressed.

emu.jpg

Re: Rumor: ND to make a deal with ACC

Boo. Tell them to play 9 games like the rest of us. This is crap.

They aren't eligible for the ACCCG, so who cares? When we go to full playoff format, they'll have to play a full conference schedule, and there's no question which conference they'll be in.

Win-win. Great move.

If Swofford somehow manages to get Penn State to join and both them and ND join full time for football, Swofford might have sewn up the unofficial "conference commissioner of the decade" award. The scary thing is that it now seems like that's a real possibility.

Why do we want Penn State?

What evidence do we have that they'll recover from their own mess?

What evidence is there that they want to leave the Big 10?

We'd want Penn State because the ACC would completely sew up all the remotely decent teams on the entire eastern seaboard, the only team that is decent that we wouldn't have is WVU, but their academics suck.

Why do we want Penn State?

Huge fanbase, will give us complete dominance of Pittsburgh TV market.

What evidence do we have that they'll recover from their own mess?
Not a lot, but what evidence do we have that they won't? Their situation is unprecedented, but they're playing football the next four years, which is a great start.

What evidence is there that they want to leave the Big 10?
None.

The question now is, who will #16...or 17, 18, 19, & 20?

As part of the partnership with the ACC, Notre Dame has agreed to annually play five ACC opponents in football and each conference member at least once every three years.

I think the biggest question is....

Will the "required" ACC/ND games count as a league game? How does that affect our OOC scheduling being that we have Pitt/Syr added for extra conference games? Technically it is a conference game but not? We will see... I totally see this as a one foot in the door scenario. To Hell with ND.

How on Earth can this be a bad thing? As long as ND IS NOT eligible to play in the ACCCG with fewer league games I'm cool with it.

And of course if they continue their slide and can't get that exclusive NBC deal any longer we know exactly where they will land as permanent members. Them and Pedo State would be perfect for moving to a 4 division alignment.

South: FSU, Miami, GT, Clemson (the ownage division)
NC: UNC, NCST, Duke, WF
Mid-atlantic: UVA, VT, Maryland, Pitt
North: BC, Notre Dame, Syracuse, Penn St

Championship rules: the two teams with the best conference record play for the championship game UNLESS they are in the same division. Then the leader of that division plays the next highest. Same tie-breaker rules apply for division ties.

I think the biggest question is....

Will the "required" ACC/ND games count as a league game? How does that affect our OOC scheduling being that we have Pitt/Syr added for extra conference games? Technically it is a conference game but not? We will see... I totally see this as a one foot in the door scenario. To Hell with ND.

They will not count as conf games. That would make no sense.

Huge fanbase, will give us complete dominance of Pittsburgh TV market.

Not a lot, but what evidence do we have that they won't? Their situation is unprecedented, but they're playing football the next four years, which is a great start.

None.

Considering that ND wouldn't be here in football until at least 2016, I guess we have time. But to you try to get PSU in the meantime?

There's no way they'd come, but I'd much rather have Michigan State.

Back