CPJ Mad Bro

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
Y'all are talking like he got fired. Keep in mind CPJ retired, and he did it without a buyout and at a time that gave us the opportunity to figure out a new HC before 2019 NSD. I'm grateful to CPJ not only for his time here, but for doing his part to facilitate the transition.
I appreciate that he exited with class at the time and I appreciate his successes as a coach. But he really has gone out of his way to not say anything nice about his successor when given the opportunity. Most of the time he speaks, it is to defend his record which should supposedly speak for itself.

Diseqc

Dodd-Like
I appreciate that he exited with class at the time and I appreciate his successes as a coach. But he really has gone out of his way to not say anything nice about his successor when given the opportunity. Most of the time he speaks, it is to defend his record which should supposedly speak for itself.
“Exited with class”

:bowrofl:

More like “exited while telling everyone that it wasn’t his fault his seasons since 2014 sucked dick andhow Pissed off he was that Collins dared insinuate his recruiting sucked”.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
“Exited with class”

More like “exited while telling everyone that it wasn’t his fault his seasons since 2014 sucked dick andhow Pissed off he was that Collins dared insinuate his recruiting sucked”.
Juice will be falling from the sky this time next year around here if in 2021 we replicate any of the 2016-2018 seasons.

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
“Exited with class”

He threw a little shade, yes. But he did walk away willingly when he could have made it more of a headache.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
Ken posted a thread with someone's completely arbitrary approach to evaluating GT coaches... maybe that was it?
I don’t see how. Johnson was 4th on that list and ahead of O’Leary.

I thought the criteria was strange but the results were about right.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
But he really has gone out of his way to not say anything nice about his successor when given the opportunity.
I think Collins had already burned that bridge. And given how other coaches in the ACC anonymously commented their objection to how CGC "publicly managed expectations", I don't think CPJ was the only coach who had a problem with it.

I loved CPJ when he was here and appreciate that he made it easy for us to move on. I also thought it was time. But there was no need for CGC to go hyperbolic about the task at hand.

Hell, even Bill Curry never said anything that would reflect negatively on what he inherited but what Curry took over was ten times worse than what CGC took over.

I always thought a sign of maturity was doing a job that you know is way harder than anybody else thinks it is and not saying anything.

The Champ

Dodd-Like
GOL wasn't left Jonathan Dwyer, BeBe Thomas, Josh F'ing Nesbitt, and a loaded defense like CPJ inherited
Exactly. Once the 16 NFL players on that 2008 roster left we were Chan Gailey competitive for 9 years; with one great year and one Geoff Collins year sprinkled in

smokey_wasp

Dodd-Like
I think Collins had already burned that bridge. And given how other coaches in the ACC anonymously commented their objection to how CGC "publicly managed expectations", I don't think CPJ was the only coach who had a problem with it.

I loved CPJ when he was here and appreciate that he made it easy for us to move on. I also thought it was time. But there was no need for CGC to go hyperbolic about the task at hand.

Hell, even Bill Curry never said anything that would reflect negatively on what he inherited but what Curry took over was ten times worse than what CGC took over.

I always thought a sign of maturity was doing a job that you know is way harder than anybody else thinks it is and not saying anything.
It was an awkward situation for both of them, I am sure. But I think CGC did it the way he needed to do it, as recruiting and branding was at the forefront of his plan. I can understand CPJ being irked by it, but the other ACC coaches are just mad we are trying to compete with them in recruiting now instead of staying in our place.

THWUGA

Dodd-Like except wouldn't have left the SEC
What's crazy is that he says he's responding...but to whom?
I swear the same day, the first thing I thought of was techberts post in the recruiting thread. Which was overly black-and-white and I’m not in agreement with, but I guess CPJ doesn’t know that’s always been techberts posts on any topic the last 20 years

my head knows that’s not it, but my heart says don’t underestimate CPJ’s defensiveness on this topic haha

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
It was an awkward situation for both of them, I am sure. But I think CGC did it the way he needed to do it, as recruiting and branding was at the forefront of his plan. I can understand CPJ being irked by it, but the other ACC coaches are just mad we are trying to compete with them in recruiting now instead of staying in our place.
I'll just be glad when we get to a point where the previous staff is not a benchmark that is used to evaluate our season.

I'm pretty sure that will happen this year.

I don't have an axe to grind but there is a reason CPJ is still in the conversation and the only guy who can do something about that (for a variety of acceptable reasons) hasn't done it yet. So let's cross our fingers that this is CGC's 1989.

GTCrew

Patrick Henry
Yeah, and everyone was saying the transition off the paulbone would suck since the day Paul was hired and yet the ACC coaches have their knickers twisted that CGC says it. Thats some snowflake öööö right there.