CPJ Mad Bro

When you are a new coach, come in and do your job. Don’t blame your problems on the previous coach. If you inherited a mess, there are media types and supporters capable of defending you. When you speak as if you inherited the worst talent situation imaginable you are trashing the first generation of athletes you coach at that school. You are also alienating the former coach and staff, players loyal to that coach, and alumni loyal to that coach. It profits you nothing to use the previous coach as an excuse for losing seasons.
I mean other that say that it's been a "really big" transition what has he said to alienate past players? He talked about getting "bigger" on both lines of the ball. He honored all scholarships that CPJ gave. You may have some examples I don't know about but that's why I'm asking. How has he blamed problems of the previous regime besides saying there's been a substantial scheme change?

The only reason people bring up the past is to explain a "present" that they don't like. Once CGC starts winning big, everyone will love the "Present" and the references to the past will cease.

I continue to maintain that 2021 will erase the past completely. I've been watching football for a long time and if anyone asks me - what roster configuration correlates the highest with on-field success, I would say upper-classmen on both LoS. Seniors in the trenches win games. Period.

Listen thanks for your insight and I know the historical significance of this time can't be overstated and I have read about it. I lived though it as a child and don't remember the way I'm sure you do. I just think the similarities of the situations would give CGC a little leeway instead of doing the opposite. I guess Curry worked out for a couple of great years so it was worth it. I wonder if CGC has the same success will the fans forget about the first two years or will they stand they're ground and remind us of the Citadel game in 2019 and the Clemson game in 2020?
It’s not about W/L comparison about the situations or even personnel on the football team. He’s trying to get you to understand it was broader, as in the entire GTAA was a breath of going belly up.

There is no comparison to late 70s/early 80s Tech sports.

When you are a new coach, come in and do your job. Don’t blame your problems on the previous coach. If you inherited a mess, there are media types and supporters capable of defending you. When you speak as if you inherited the worst talent situation imaginable you are trashing the first generation of athletes you coach at that school. You are also alienating the former coach and staff, players loyal to that coach, and alumni loyal to that coach. It profits you nothing to use the previous coach as an excuse for losing seasons.
Paul Johnson came in and bad mouthed Gailey.

Listen thanks for your insight and I know the historical significance of this time can't be overstated and I have read about it. I lived though it as a child and don't remember the way I'm sure you do. I just think the similarities of the situations would give CGC a little leeway instead of doing the opposite. I guess Curry worked out for a couple of great years so it was worth it. I wonder if CGC has the same success will the fans forget about the first two years or will they stand they're ground and remind us of the Citadel game in 2019 and the Clemson game in 2020?
More historical perspective: Bobby Ross didn't win an ACC game his first two years as GT HC. I used to go to breakfast with Bobby meetings at 6am Friday mornings before home games. Nobody in that room gave a damn that we hadn't won an ACC game in two years because we knew that Boss Ross knew what he was doing. We would almost laugh about what was getting ready to happen because we all saw it - Ross recruited disproportionately to the OL and DL and we all saw how good these kids were gonna be in two years. I asked him once - why so many linemen recruits instead of flashy RB/WR? He (in front of the group - not to me personally) replied - I recruit linemen first - once that is settled then I recruit skill positions. Look back at our 1990 roster - the OL/DL were the best we've had since I don't know when.

And don't forget that we were literally an eyelash from signing Desmond Howard.

So I am not overly concerned with our record in the first two years because, from my experience with Curry and Ross, I understand it takes three years to get the right guys in here and on the line of scrimmage and I see the quality of linemen we are bringing in. But, what's even better with CGC is that while he's bringing in a high caliber of lineman, he's also bringing in top-shelf skill players. CGC and staff are the best recruiters for GT since maybe Dodd. If they can turn that talent into Wins like Ross could, we are in good shape.

Love CPJ, but we couldn't just continue to sit back and be Clemson's whipping boy and that's where we were headed. Some other team in the ACC needs to put their BBP's on and play for Natty's. Wasn't gonna happen playing option football how we were
any self awareness?

Paul Johnson came in and bad mouthed Gailey.
Specifically said something about his players being better than what he inherited. Oh my!

Love Johnson the XO and game day coach. He is a winner. Johnson didn’t know enough about recruiting to know he wasn’t good at it. He literally thought Tech would get the players that wanted to come to Tech and there wasn’t anything he could or should do to change it.

Well tell me this. Did Curry have a large portion of the fan base killing him in his first two years when he won a total of TWO games?
Yes. And recall that Curry lost to Furman in Curry's *third* year. He pretty much lost what little support he had left after two horrible seasons. But he hung in there and gave the dwags a scare to end the season.

My point is that during rebuilding, all kind of nonsense can happen. We beat #1 Bama in Bama in 1980 and lost every other game. In 83, we lost to Furman (I knew some of the Furman players on that team) - I pretty much gave up on Curry at that point.

But then Curry hired a real OC and a real DC and whipped the dwags twice in a row.

So I'm cool with giving CGC some time and I suspect some staff upgrades are in order. But I need to see some specific improvements this year.

So, I rarely post, and I loved CPJ, his attitude, etc while he was here. I think you have to go back and look at history -- where we are, and has it happened before? And it has, right down the road in Statesboro. For whatever reason the transition sucks getting away from the option. It just does.

Regarding our team, regardless of record, it was CRYSTAL CLEAR we made significant progress and had more raw talent on the field. Would CPJ have had a better record with that talent? Of course, he is a brilliant football coach. But the talent just declined so much and none of our young stars would be here at all if he was still in place.

My issue with all this, is that he was proud of his 'ACC' record. That's not a great statement considering we are one of the weaker conferences.

No one is doubting the rebuild is hard, but Collins (and Pastner too) act like they’re trying to build their teams with a jar of coins as the budget and old school buses for locker rooms. Not every minute of every day has to be David vs Goliath, I was left with nothing, yada yada.

It would help to have context as to who CPJ is replying. But lets say this - He is undoubtedly one of the 3 best coaches that GT has had since Dodd retired 50 years ago. Ross, O'Leary and Johnson in that order. I truly think O'Leary could have gotten Tech to a national title had he stayed. CPJ's best team in 2014 looked like they had playoff potential sans 2 bad losses to Duke an d UNC. Yes the option at times was boring and yes I'm glad the forward pass is back. But I like wining and CPJ did win a lot and I guess that's his point.

But do make sure to tell everyone how great the talent is at the school you left.

Care to elaborate on your vague tweet?
Most of the people whining about CPJ are too young to know the reality of Tech football, and what a slog it is to accomplish anything at an urban school with a small stadium and a small fanbase and a limited curriculum and a reduced budget and a campus culture that does not treat players like BMOC's.

What CGC is doing to rebrand the school is amazing. But what CPJ did without rebranding the school was also amazing.

Last edited:

I mean that is one interpretation if you pay attention to only a few things Collins said and ignore the rest.

Chiming in only cuz I was called out, for no good reason.

1. I dunno what CPJ was referencing, so I have very little to say about his response. I will say in general a retired coach should have the right to defend their legacy as long as they stick to what they did, which is what CPJ appears to do. Facts, while they may sometimes lack context, are facts.

(With that said, I would advise anyone and everyone to avoid twitter flame wars, as they rarely provide the look to the world that you want.)

2. I have not heard CGC say anything about the program that I found objectionable.

3. What Curry went through is comparable to what Collins went through. Not 10x worse but not a walk in the park, either, and I liked Pepper. Collins had better results on the field but as someone hinted, rebuild results have a lot of random variability and field results in the first two years of any major transition tell us less than we want them to about what is going on.

4. Collins started his first full recruiting class loading up on linemen, just like Ross.

5. I stand by my analysis of Johnson's performance and aftermath.

6. There is no Point #6.

7. Thank God for Homer Rice.

Last edited:
Back