CPJ Mad Bro

What CGC is doing to rebrand the school is amazing. But what CPJ did without rebranding the school was also amazing.

This is spot on. Too bad we couldn't have them at the same time. Technically, that's on CPJ.

You knew it was bad when we played UGA and our guys looked like high schoolers vs NFL guys -- that shouldn't happen. I mean, we don't have to be as talented, but we can be college sized athletes. We had guys literally get thrown around like rag dolls sometimes against them. This is on CPJ. The fact we beat them a few times, and were very close many others is CREDIT to CPJ's coaching. With Gailey, we had similar size but generally less talent and certainly average coaching. Which is why we lost to them every year.

We just need Collins to cash in on his recruiting, and I suppose we will see how his coaching goes. Right now, it's certainly suspect. He likely needs to go full on Dabo and get quality coordinators.

We just need Collins to cash in on his recruiting, and I suppose we will see how his coaching goes. Right now, it's certainly suspect. He likely needs to go full on Dabo and get quality coordinators.
Loyalty to inadequate subordinates has doomed many an otherwise great leader/manager.

Chiming in only cuz I was called out, for no good reason.

1. I dunno what CPJ was referencing, so I have very little to say about his response. I will say in general a retired coach should have the right to defend their legacy as long as they stick to what they did, which is what CPJ appears to do. Facts, while they may sometimes lack context, are facts.

(With that said, I would advise anyone and everyone to avoid twitter flame wars, as they rarely provide the look to the world that you want.)

2. I have not heard CGC say anything about the program that I found objectionable.

3. What Curry went through is comparable to what Collins went through. Not 10x worse but not a walk in the park, either, and I liked Pepper. Collins had better results on the field but as someone hinted, rebuild results have a lot of random variability and field results in the first two years of any major transition tell us less than we want them to about what is going on.

4. Collins started his first full recruiting class loading up on linemen, just like Ross.

5. I stand by my analysis of Johnson's performance and aftermath.

6. There is no Point #6.

7. Thank God for Homer Rice.
I agree with this enough to let it go but I am not in agreement with point #3. Both Curry and CGC inherited depleted rosters but CGC inherited a treasure trove of facilities - upgraded locker rooms, weight rooms, tutor programs, etc. Curry inherited a weight room with a dirt floor under the West Stands and no academic support at all - I'm not a Curry defender but to use a poker analogy, Collins started with Two Pair but Curry started with literally nothing and had us beating the dwags in four years. That is like CGC beating Clemson in 2022.

PJ did more with CG players than CG did.

PJ did more with PJ players than GC did.

The question is whether GC can do more with GC players, and that answer will start to show this season.

Trash talk and blaming aside, win the games and everything else is forgotten.

I mean other that say that it's been a "really big" transition what has he said to alienate past players? He talked about getting "bigger" on both lines of the ball. He honored all scholarships that CPJ gave. You may have some examples I don't know about but that's why I'm asking. How has he blamed problems of the previous regime besides saying there's been a substantial scheme change?

As for the 2019 signing class, CGC was told to honor all commitments made by the previous staff.
Then of course the two OL commits were either slow played or no played into going away, apparently.

There have been some snide comments — Key going on about "no more small ball" at the beginning and Collins going "no more option" during an interview on ACC Network.
Key reversed course a little bit about a year or so ago when talking about the O line and saying they may not be used to what they're doing now but they have played a lot of football before the new staff came on board, and that does count for something.

As for the 2019 signing class, CGC was told to honor all commitments made by the previous staff.
Then of course the two OL commits were either slow played or no played into going away, apparently.

As we saw on signing day last week, there are Way worse ways to do that.

Why do you all get your panties in a wad over CPJ? I mean, he is the last GT coach to beat UGA or Clemson, deserves a little respect.

We had some good years and some bad years. I'd rather be on the rollercoaster of highs and lows than the rollercoaster of mediocrity that was Chan Gailey. So far with Collins, we are still in the two hour long line to even get on the rollercoaster.

Sounds a lot like CPJ living rent free in the heads of the haters.

Um......how long has Dabo had to build his team and how long has Collins had to build his.....um.....Collins has ONE full recruiting class that has played....um.....at GT....um

Dabo was an interim HC on 2008 and in his 1st full season as HC played for the ACC Championship.

I appreciate that he exited with class at the time and I appreciate his successes as a coach. But he really has gone out of his way to not say anything nice about his successor when given the opportunity. Most of the time he speaks, it is to defend his record which should supposedly speak for itself.
He may not have anything nice to say about Collins. I count it to his credit that he hasn't said anything about him.

Doesn’t count. That was with Paul Johnson’s players. CGC is a big time recruiter. He will win big once he gets his players in here.

I hope so. Right now, we look to be about 3rd in our division with regard to recruiting. I wouldn’t expect to overtake Brown in that regard. So at some point we are going to have to coach better than our rivals. We’ve been able to do it in the past. Collins defenses were top shelf in the SEC, so hopefully the trend continues.

More pathetic?

Grown man responding to a random Twitter troll via a public Twitter flex touting a resume of T2+ finishes in a ööööty conference’s division

Or

5 page thread of grown men overanalyzing the above

not a lot to talk about this time of year

or like someone once said "It is what it is."

Back